ADVERTISEMENT

4A Boys State Tournament (March 3-6)

CougarMVP

May 16, 2009
The bracket is out and there are some good matchups for sure. The opening day matchups that stick out to me are #4 Walla Walla vs #6 Lincoln and #9 Kentwood vs #8 Mead. Walla Walla is led by Idaho hoops signee Gary Winston and Lincoln just knocked off #1 Federal Way to win the districts last Friday. Also, Kentwood is led by UCLA hoops signee and McDonalds All-American Josh Smith and Mead's star center Aaron Dunn will play football at WSU and is one of the top tight ends in the country. Furthermore, Federal Way is the defending state champions, the 2009 runner-ups Garfield Bulldogs did not qualify for state with star player Tony Wroten but he did have an injury from football, Skyline's Kasen Williams is one of the top receivers for the 2011 class, and Wilson center Xavier Cooper will also play football for Wazzu. Let the games begin.
This post was edited on 2/28 6:37 PM by CougarMVP

4A Boys Bracket

Good stuff Cougar, gonna be a wide open tourney this year for sure. Walla Walla must have been ranked 4th at seasons end, because I know they lost a couple games in the post-season and come to state as either the 3 or 4 seed from the east. If I had to pick some favorites it would probably be, Federal Way, Gonzaga Prep and Lincoln, we will see!

how cool would it be to see a federal way-lincoln part 3 in the championship game. I think lincoln will have a hard road to get there but it's do able.

Here's who I've got winning in the first round. Some of these are complete guesses seeing as I haven't seen a lot of them play, but oh well!

Gonzaga Prep over Auburn
Federal Way over Stanwood
Decatur over Davis
Jackson over Skyline
Lincoln over Walla Walla (though this could go either way from what I've heard about WW)
Wilson over Lake Washington
Eastlake over Lake Stevens
Kentwood over Mead

Some tough draws here for sure, Skyline with only 3 losses playing Jackson with only 4 setbacks in round 1 and then a likely quarterfinal matchup between the 2 teams with the best records in the show at 23-2, in G-Prep vs Federal Way. Funny there is many teams in the tourney with a lot of losses, gonna be crazy!

Lincoln is a good team at 18-7. 2 loses coming from idaho teams. they are hot at the right now. wilson might be 18-8 but I would not look pass them too.

Not to discount what you're saying - but those two losses to Idaho teams tells me a lot.

Post Falls is good, but not great. Mead beat them by 3 early season at Mead - but Mead was coming off football playoffs and didn't have their sea legs yet.

And Coeur d'Alene is nothing to write home about on the boys side. G Prep beat them by 15 first game of the season and it could have been worse. How they beat Mead handily is beyond me.

Realistically, Post Falls and Coeur d'Alene would finish about 3rd/4th, maybe 4th/5th in the GSL over the course of a full season.

I guess the same would hold true with Lincoln. Did they play them early in the season, was it at a tournament, was it home, or in Idaho. Really means nothing now though. At the end of the season Lincoln comes back fro 21 down and beats Federal Way. That means something.
This post was edited on 3/2 1:21 PM by statewide

it was in coeur d' alene at a tourny. they lost to coeur d' alene by 1 in 2ots, beat university by 5 and then lost to post falls by 7. that was back during christmas break. it was a round robin thing everyone play each other.

Originally posted by abesrulez:
it was in coeur d' alene at a tourny. they lost to coeur d' alene by 1 in 2ots, beat university by 5 and then lost to post falls by 7. that was back during christmas break. it was a round robin thing everyone play each other.

I tried to tell you but....

but what you didn't tell us is that this would be the start of the wipeout of the Eastern participants in the winners bracket.

Originally posted by statewide:
but what you didn't tell us is that this would be the start of the wipeout of the Eastern participants in the winners bracket.

That happens when the two best teams in the state meet in the 2nd round.

Kentwood and Wilson...WOW...to semis

I thought Mead was going to beat Kentwood but the Conks have had two blowout wins vs Mead and Eastlake.

I'm not sure what Wilson will do against Kentwood because they don't have anyone who can contain him but they do have Xavier Cooper and he's going to WSU on a football scholarship as a defensive end. He's about 6-3 and 6-4 and had a wide body. I wonder what strategy Wilson will use tonight against Kntwood

Re: Kentwood and Wilson...WOW...to semis

Observer, you started with 4 teams in the tournament, not one
This post was edited on 3/5 10:57 AM by statewide

Originally posted by statewide:
Observer, you started with 4 teams in the tournament, not one
This post was edited on 3/5 10:57 AM by statewide

I don't give a rip about the Big 9 other than Gary Winston is a heck of a player.

There's no love lost between the GSL and the gerrymandering, berth-thieving CBBL.

I don't give a rip about the Big 9 other than Gary Winston is a heck of a player.

There's no love lost between the GSL and the gerrymandering, berth-thieving CBBL.

yes but when discussing winning and losing, you loved to lump all those in the WCD playoffs. I am just doing the same for your Eastern Regional. Oh well, Gonzaga Prep lost again to a 15-7 Decatur team so they are completely out.
This post was edited on 3/5 5:19 PM by statewide

That happens when the two best teams in the state meet in the 2nd round.
----------------------------------

guess it was a little premature to declare the FW vs GP as the championship game now that both have gone done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT