ADVERTISEMENT

a kicker scores on the kick off

Wildcat7

Mar 10, 2004
Has anyone ever seen a kicker, kick off and then somehow wind up scoring a td on the return i.e. a fumble recovery?

I do not beleive that can happen. I do not think you can advance a fumble on a kickoff. Not 100% sure but I think that is how the rule reads

1. You cannot advance a "muff". 2. Fumble, yes....

The officials would surely mess this one up.....just like fair catch interference on a short KO....sorry Zebra's....but....give us some direction....this is an interesting question? Could you have a fumble advanced for a score on a kick????? Or, would it still be considered a "muff"....Go Dogs, Go Bearcats, Go Buckeyes....what the hell is a bucheye anyway? A tree? or??????? Ha,ha.....Play-offs, 9 OT's incredible.

Re: 1. You cannot advance a

The other team clearly had the ball till about the 30 yard line, the kicker ran down the field and stripped the ball. It would be like dropping a fair catch, and having the other team pick up the ball and run for a touchdown.

Sounds good to me....

I just know that you cannot advance a muffed punt or kick-off return....But, I suppose a member of the kicking team could cause a fumble and the kicker or any other team member could pick it up and score...sounds good to me. IF it is not considered a muffed kick....no expert here...BUT, again, the defense can recover a muffed kick but may not advance it....therefore your scenario of a dropped fair catch would not be correct....

Re: Sounds good to me....

Coach Alex - I know of the play in question.

Kicker kicks off. Returner begins to return ball. Returner is stripped by kicker who runs ball to end zone for touchdown. Legal and legit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT