ADVERTISEMENT

Anacortes over Sehome.....

Warrant3

Dec 15, 2006
....in double OT 95-89. Close the entire way, Sehome appeared to have it wrapped up in regulation, but missed numorous free throws very late in regulation. It left a slight opening for Anacortes. Enter Jackson Kirkpatrick, with 38 points, most on crazy 3's late in the game. There was an unfortunate technical on A.J. LaBree with 10 seconds left in double OT and the game still somewhat undecided.

Are you sure the technical was on LaBree? I was at the game and thought it was on a Sehome player. I was on the other end of the gym though.

I listened to the end of the game and the announcers seemed to think that the technical was called on LaBree as well. Very untimely regardless of who it was against. Anacortes was getting two FT's after a Sehome miss and the ensuing scramble for the rebound resulted in a foul call on Sehome. Two point game in favor of Anacortes at that point, and the Anacortes player ended up missing both shots. But because of the technical the Seahawks got two more FT's AND the ball. Game over.

What an unbelievably horrific ending to such a cinderella season for the Mariners. First was Monday's heartbreaker with Squalicum, then this game. I, like many NWC watchers, kept waiting all season for Sehome to come back to earth but all they did was keep winning. There were legit and oh so close to moving on. Had they just made ONE more free throw in that last minute of regulation...wow.

I spoke to a friend of mine who was sitting just a few feet away, and he claimed the technical was on LaBree. Frankly, I've never thought much of the official who made the call.
This post was edited on 2/17 12:24 PM by Warrant3

There were a lot of happy Cedarcrest fans watching the conclusion of the Sehome/ Anacortes game.

Tough loss. The Sehome game was the one game I misssed this year. I like others anticipated they would eventually lose of few, but they didn't. I watched them for the first time against Squalicum on Monday and early on still scratched my head as to how they do it, but as the game progressed it became apparent that they just wear you out mentally with their defensive play. It takes a mentally tough team to overcome their defensive play. Or...a team that can hit the three's consistently. I thought Anacortes had a good shot matchup wise in this game.

What a heartbreaker. I heard the technical was on a Sehome player, but that's just through the grapevine. What a season for the Mariners, but sad to see it end that way. On another note, how does District 1 only send 3 seeds to state this year? They have won the state title 3 out of the last 4 years, and had a team in the title game at least four consecutive times. Where is the respect?

SHS2209: It's called the "socialization of sports." Instead of letting the best teams compete, lesser teams are allowed to represent their region.

BTW, I hear the foul was on a player. Sorry Charlie...

Sorry to see the season come to an end SHS. I was rooting for Sehome as I wanted the 3 best chances at advancing to Yakima (state) make it out of districts. As far as the number of berths we did lose one. It is not based on strength of districts, but rather numbers. District 3 is huge, so they have 6 berths. I think district 3 MAY be the most talented this year, but still don't believe sending their 5th or 6th seed is sending the 16 best on to regionals.

The following are the district three teams:
Clover Park, Eatonville, Evergreen, Fife, Foster, Franklin Pierce, Kingston, Klahowya, Lindbergh, North Kitsap, North Mason, Olympic, Port Angeles, Renton, Sequim, Steilacoom, Sumner, Tyee, Washington, White River.

Six out of 20 go. Thirty percent of the teams go to state, and District 3 looks like it is loaded with basketball powers? (sarcasm)

District 1 has 14 teams and 3 teams go. Twenty one percent of district 1 teams go to state. Someone is cooking the books. Looks like politics as usual.

Too bad as both Anacortes and Cedarcrest deserve to go to state.

The following are the teams that made the district tournament in the 3rd district: Clover Park, Fife, Foster, Franklin Pierce, Kingston, Lindbergh, Olympic, Port Angeles, Renton, Sequim, Sumner, and White River.

All twelve of these teams came from the 3rd district. The other eight teams from the district did not make the tournament.

If I'm not mistaken I believe there is actually only one 2A team in district two and that is Interlake of the Kingco league.

Correct you are Burlington fan, and they are one of the 20. Throw them in another district and give one of the district 3 spots to district 1. Problem solved.

How have the AD's allowed this? How is it not possible to see that 5 out of 20(District 3) is 25% and 4 out of 14(District 3)is 28%. This is a much more even distribution than 30% to 21%, and yes I know about the every other year allotment. It just tells me that every other year students are being hung out to dry. Let me count the ways it is wrong. District 1 #4 seed last year (who would not go under this years policy) placed 5th at State. The problem is most parents don't know how any of this works and trust that competent individuals have the best interest of the students in mind always. I was one, until the new district/regional/state format was put into place.

ADVERTISEMENT