ADVERTISEMENT

Brewste District Champs!

23Brewster

Apr 6, 2009
Brewster knocks off Chelan again for the third time this season. The game was intense and exciting. Brewster scored first going into the half 1 to 1. Chelan strikes next with brewster putting pressure immediately and scoring soon after. The game went into overtime and then to a shoot out where Brewster won 5 to 4! Brewster district/league champs two years running by far the best accomplishment in its program history.

Congrats to you guys, but now you get a ticked off Highland team, which in my opinion is the best team in the state.

I dont understand how their league has anything to do with it. They beat you guys 4-2, with the two goals coming in the last ten minutes against most of the subs. Almost the whole team has been to the state final the last 3 years, winning two of them. They were forced to drive 2 hours to Royal City for the district championship after they go undefeated during the regular season, while Connell drove 45 mins, which in my opinion, led to the loss last week. Good luck tomorrow

You took the comment on the league the complete opposite as I did. I thought he/she was saying that Brewster needed to keep their league in mind - not the other way around, but I could be wrong.

I am sorry that Highland feels they were 'forced' to come to Royal - I could not tell that the drive was a problem or that it showed in their play. They did have a pair of great chances that they did not finish, but I doubt it was due to a bus ride. The atmosphere was great and Highland had a home field like crowd for support due to the fact that they were playing an unpopular Connell side.

They lost because Connell had a pair of wonder strikes that I know I personally would have sent well wide 90% of the time (But I am old). From what I have seen, Connell started regularly scoring these kinds of goals in the later parts of the season. If you were to blame the loss on anything I would look at the way the league is organized and the overall level of competition that Highland faced for the bulk of their schedule. Such a schedule is not useful in preparing a team for this kind of match.

Poor penalty taking was also an issue for both teams as several shots completely missed the target or were played directly to the keeper.

I would imagine that at some point in the state tournament, Highland will need the lessons they learned by getting away from their narrow, crowned field. Perhaps the wider field and unfamiliar surface cost them a district championship, but it could prove to be the final experience they need to win them a state championship - But that is just my opinion.

Well if the two hour ride led to there loss then they better get prepared because brewster is about 4 hours away from highland... we'll see how highland does on a bigger field in a hostile environment.. they have all the pressure there the favorites to win it all but brewster aint just going to roll over for anybody ..... goodluck to both teams...
This post was edited on 5/19 9:50 AM by Btown Captain

Distance isnt ever an excuse for a loss. Forks is the host of their state game and are traveling over 3 hours to play on turf. Their nearest away game all season is nearly three hours. A two hour trip isnt an excuse for a loss and if that is the reason then I agree that highland is really going to be hurting traveling a couple more hours to brewster.

plus look at the good teams. they win on any field. White Salmon travelled six hours to forks and still won on forks's home field. Only home loss this season. Teams should get used to travelling because its part of the game.

I agree the elite teams should be able to win games on any turf no matter wat the distance is... forks will be playing manson today we will see how north central soccer compares to a team over on the westside... winner of forks manson will play winner of highland brewster....
This post was edited on 5/19 10:54 AM by Btown Captain

I dont think the individual from Highland was using travel as an 'excuse' in the typical testosterone soaked mentality of the word.

Simply a factor that deserves to be mentioned because travel can make a difference as it is an added stress.

There are a number of factors and always talking points - but many are unable to have rational discussion because they can not talk around their puffed up chest. Anyone who has played the game and traveled knows that travel is a factor to consider and be managed.

Personally i dont think travel matters. It's on the team who wants it the most and who comes ready to play! Good luck to both teams and i will do my part for my team and see where that takes us!

"It's on the team who wants it the most and who comes ready to play!"

It's much harder to be mentally and physically prepared for a game after sitting on a bus for 4 or more hours. Especially in the heat that is bound to show up sooner or later.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT