ADVERTISEMENT

Cedar Park Christian Eagle Boys now 12-0 with win over Vashon Island

FilmDoesn'tLie

Oct 11, 2012
Vashon Island, WA
In Friday's league basketball game, the visiting Cedar Park Christian Eagles basketball team from Bothell scored 69-52 triumph over the Vashon Island Pirates.

The Eagles jumped off to a quick start with an 8 point run that included baskets by Luke Saufferer, senior guard, who would finish the night with 15 points. Junior teammate Trey Drechsel showed off his stuff in the 2nd quarter with a dunk off a steal on his way to his game high 23 points. Vashon kept it close with multiple 3 point baskets from Jessie Norton and Ian Stewart who each had 10 points to close it to within 4 points leading into the half at 31-27. Cedar Park defense stepped it up in the third quarter and held Vashon to just 1 field goal while striking on offense with lightening quick baskets in transition. Ben Whitaker, who had 18 points, helped Vashon battle back with long shots in the 4thquarter and showed why Vashon is a dangerous team that is never out of a game. With time running down and Vashon resorting to fouls, Evan Scholten made his all his free throws which put him at 15 points and stretch the final score to make the game appear it was not as close as it really was.

With the defeat, Vashon Island moves to 9-4 on the year. The Pirates travel next to Cascade Christian (Puyallup, WA) to confront the Cougars in a league game January 19th.

In the Eagles next game, they confront Charles Wright Academy Tarriers (Tacoma, WA) in a 1A Nisqually match at home, on Friday, January 18. Cedar Park Christian will attempt to improve upon its perfect 12-0 season record. Charles Wright enters the match with a 7-3 record after their 42-39 league loss to Vashon Island. 1A Nisqually league is playing great basketball this year with 5 of the 8 other teams beating each other up to try to remain close to league leading Cedar Park Christian.

Waiting for CP to beat a good team on the road or neutral site before I'll believe the hype. Winning home games and beating average teams on the road is what good teams do. Beating good teams on the road is what great teams do.

While I agree winning a lot early doesn't mean much, CPC is legit. Vashon isn't the easiest place to play and they dominated. They are an unselfish team with multiple weapons and they play with discipline. The only thing they are likely to suffer from down the stretch is lack of depth. Too few players get too many minutes and this will wear on them in the playoffs when the games are closer together. But I would be very surprised if they don't make it to Yakima. The team that is overrated is Seattle Academy. While they have athletes, they lack discipline and it isn't clear they have the right chemistry. Expect them and their fans to be complaining and whining to each other and the refs. They also will get bit by a thin bench as well. Of the current crop of highly ranked teams, they will be the one not going to Yakima.

Thanks for the info. That is interesting. I haven't had the opportunity to see any of the top 1A eams other than LC. It sounds to me like the 1A classification is fairly deep at the top. Plenty of good teams this year. Lynden Christian seems to be getting better each week. They will be a load during the playoffs.

Barring injury to one of LC's guns, I would be shocked if they don't win it again this year. Anyone who is fooled by their 4 losses isn't paying attention to how good they are. I don't know if they can be beat in 1A; it would take a serious game plan, a poor outing by LC and a great game by the opposition. Of the likely 1A playoff teams I have seen (CPC, SA, King's, CC, Meridian), only CPC MIGHT be able to pull it off, but I doubt they could do it twice, and the west side teams are at a disadvantage there because they will all probably have to play them in Districts and then again at State.

The one loss that LC had was the Bellingham loss. Bellingham appears to have the ability to play well at times and obviously did well enough to beat a good LC team.

ADVERTISEMENT