ADVERTISEMENT

Central Valley High School

statewide

Jan 18, 2004
CV has 4 state championships and they really let three get away from them. In 97 they were up 20 on Federal Way and lost. In 2003, they had Prairie down late and lost. And of course, this year they looked in control with a few minutes to go and lost to Skyview.

You got that right. I remember the Federal Way game especially. It was during those years when the worst officiating you saw during the season was always at the state tournament. Central Valley didn't respond well to the lack of calls, and didn't adjust to the reality of the situation. I still remember a Federal Way girl putting a bear hug from behind on CV's point guard, who had the ball. It was called a jump and ruled a turnover. This year, the CV girls just were outplayed in the final couple of minutes. To be up by 5, with less than two minutes to go and in possession of the ball, and lose. That will be a timeframe a few girls will play over and over again in their minds. Still, a great season for both CV teams, to make the championship game. I'm still proud of them.

yes, and it was almost the exact same thing with the game against Prairie in 2003. CV was up by about 5 points and then things just started to go Prairie's way and they ended up winning. That would have been three in a row as I remember for CV. And now, Prairie has the most state championships of any 3A/4A school. We had one get away from us with Kennewick. Of course little leilani Mitchell had something to do with that. A missed shot, a rebound back out to that same three pointer shooter, and then her amazing spin move to tie up the game and force overtime. That was a tough one to lose.

I remember that game also. Lelani was a tremendous player. She kept CV from breaking the state record for consecutive wins, held by Kennewick, in the regionals the year the Bears lost to Prairie in 2003 championship game. I think they both still share the record at 56 games. CV met them again at state, and she made a last second shot to send it into overtime, CV managed to win that one to get to the semifinals. The tournament always has both good and bad memories, especially when your team makes it there a lot. Prairie leads the world with appearances and success. Congratulations on another championship.

yeah, I think Prairie has made the tournament 28 out of 31 years and the last 16 years they have been in the finals 8 times. Aldridge said he wanted to win 7 so he just got 50% closer to his goal. It will be a new ballgame when he retires. Most won't or can't put in the time he does. It will be very tough for a new coach to keep it going. I hope they can follow in CV's foot steps. Newer head coach and he makes it to the Finals. That's impressive. Skyview and Central Valley were the two best teams that I saw at the tournament with Mount Rainier right there with them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT