District 1- Second Round

coastal39

Jul 29, 2001
BE 81 Cedarcrest 57
Walser 30
Stewart 23
Boe-umpteen assists-
BE shoots 32/61 FG

Radio- www.winnw.com- will be archived later.

More scores

Anacortes beat SW 80-60. Sehome was ahead of Squally at the end of 3: 34-33. ATm was way ahead of Lynden at 1/2 time.

Squally hits two clutch 3's in the last 30 seconds are so. Crazy game! And Boe is amazing from the high post for Burlington. Not sure i've seen anything quite like it in awhile. He makes Wallser look unstoppable because he sets him up with good pass after good pass. In my opinion, Boe makes that team go. Not to mention he is a shut down defender.

Saw both games at MV HS. I agree about Boe - in my opinion he is the Burlington MVP this season. Without him they don't finish as high in league. Just does so many little things to help that team win.

Squalicum pulls out a tight one against Sehome. And that was after losing a key starter for the game mid-first quarter. Gutty performance by the Storm, and a gut wrenching loss for the Mariners who now have to re-group and face an Anacortes team on Wednesday that beat them by 20 last time they played. Not a lot of time to recover from such an emotional loss.

Cedarcrest made Boe and Walser look good by not blocking Walser out. Walser would screen at the top of the circle of the key, cut away all the way to the basket with little effort to stop him. Hence easy passes from Boe and whoever = 12 for 12 from the field at the basket for Walser. I also think credit should go to Walser for catching anything thrown his way. There are those who can catch and those who are pretenders. Walser has the hands. Without Walser Burlington loses - count on that.

I agree with your comments about Walser. I'm not completely sure B.E. would lose without the big guy, but there is no doubt it would have been an entirely different game. He's a slam dunk 1st Team All Conference Selection. What you didn't get the opportunity to see is Walser's touch from the perimeter. The guy can stroke it.
Bottom line is this Burlington team was a bad matchup for Cedarcrest. I don't think the game gives us a complete indicator about how competitive the Red Wolves can be.

I think you are correct regarding Cedarcrest. I thought Anacortes was pretty good, but I watched the Red Wolves blast them. One thing Anacortes was missing though was a player like Walser. Of course, a lot of teams are missing a kid like Walser.

Cedarcrest and Murphy should be quite the game.

Walser was a key to the win against Cedarcrest and has been both games of the tourney. B-E is more than Walser though. That is why they dominated the game after the first quarter. Let me qualify this by saying I'm not trying to say this year's team is better than the last 3 B-E teams, but one thing this year's team has is much more diversity. Having watched this team all season my opinion is that if anyone is absolutely key it is Will Stewart. However they would not be where they are without Boe as well. Only one player has been able to score at their normal average against him and that was the kid from South Whidbey. Even then he was 2-16 from the field in the 2nd half. Boe's hustle, defense, rebounding and quarterbacking from the high post are all vital. Walser gives them the inside presence they haven't necessarily had the last couple of years and has improved greatly over the season. I was worried he may get in foul trouble once Schifferal quit the team, but the coach does an excellent job of managing that aspect. At different times this year both Reed & Garcia have taken over games with their 3 point shooting although Reed has been slumping late in the season. Stewart though is the guy that makes this team go. He is the calming affect and has the ability to go one on one when needed for a big basket. His rebounding and defense are highly underated in my opinion. What this team doesn't have that previous teams had (outside of Coulter) is a bench. B-E will beat most one dimensional teams which Cedarcrest was. It was thought they lived and died by the three and that turned out to be very evident. Even down 19-21 at end of 1st quarter I looked at my buddy and said we got this one. Cedarcrest was on fire from the 3 point line and we were countering with easy layups and mid range shots. I think it had to be a bit demoralizing to only be up 2. Once the 3's stopped falling and there were no second chances due to board dominance the game was over.

Now Friday, I totally expect an intense close game without any prediction on a winner, because Squalicum is also a diversified team not relying on one dimension.

ADVERTISEMENT