ADVERTISEMENT

GSL Top Performers Thru First Half of Season

Spokaloo22

Gold Member
Mar 4, 2007
Here is one observer's opinion on the top 8 players so far in the GSL (in no particular order):

JOHNSON (Mt. Spokane) - best PG in an otherwise weak position for the league this year

NICHOLAS (Prep) - a beast down low when he establishes position, and only a jr.

BROWN (SP) - best player in the league when he wants to be

WILLIAMS (CV) - has improved his game over the summer, becoming a consistent threat to score

VAUGHN (Rogers) - best player the casual GSL fan has not heard of, but insiders know he has a ton of game

PELTON (NC) - has emerged as leader of surprising Indians team

FISCHER (Prep) - dangerous from long range when dialed in, and he can get dialed in frequently

TAYLOR (LC) - explosive athlete finally out of football mode and into hoops mode, can score in a variety of ways

OK, GSL fans, feel free to pick apart this assessment, and/or provide your own list................

Spokaloo you are a wise man and have shown your extensive knowledge of the GSL to date. I have been thinking over your list to see if anyone has slipped through the crack and I just cant come up with anyone.
As a GP guy I will tend to be a bit more biased on a few issues but you pretty much nailed it on the head.

JOHNSON-Or STOCKTON- David has a fantastic point guard game. He is a headsy player that makes good decisions on the floor. He can get and finish at the rim and has a solid outside shot. Most importantly as a point guard, as he goes so does that team. A very important point when judging the point guard position. I know Johnson is getting his points but that is because he doesnt have anyone around him. If David was taking 60% of the teams shots he would be averaging around the same points per game. Comparing position to position if I were picking a team I would choose Stockton first. With that said Johnson is definitely a solid player and deserves recognition.

NICHOLAS- There is no one in the league I have seen that works as hard as he does. Every play, every game. He is the leading scorer on a team with a starting five that can put a lot of points on the board. He draws double teams most every game and still works his way into double doubles. Again if I were picking a team he would be my first pick, period. He isnt as athletic as Brown but he works and works and not many players that I have seen have the discipline to match his effort.

BROWN- Athletic as all get out, I can certainly see him playing at the DI level (WSU) as long as he is internally committed. You hit it on the head when you said he is the best player in the league when he wants to be. He is definitely in the running for GSL MVP as he and his team are 10-1 with a lot more wins to go.

WILLIAMS- Like his ability to penetrate, you can tell he has worked on his game. Gifted athlete, always need to guard him. He needs to be a front and center kind of player on a fairly average CV team in order for them to win.

VAUGHN- He reminds me a lot of the last Rogers kid that was a tweener (for the life of me cant remember his name). He can jump, shoot, rebound, and brings a lot of energy to his team. I really like this kid's game.

PELTON- Sophomore isnt he? Assuming that is the case he is doing a good job on a decent team. Like his hustle and ability to knock down the shot. Should be fun to watch the next few years.

FISCHER- Best shooter in the league, possibly the state. He can flat out light it up. As the paper said he is fairly new to the game and you have to admire his dedication to get to where he is. His defense is much improved from last year and if GP is to have any success at state they will need his outside threat.

TAYLOR- Goes left to the baseline every time. Needs to expand his threat. Cherry picks a lot which has accounted for a lot of his points. For a football player he plays pretty good ball but if I were to argue any one of Spokaloo's selections this would be the one.

Taylor may go left every time...but he's the only one on the list who can claim a victory over Gonzaga Prep this year.

Ha Observer...can you say FLUKE? And after Prep was kind enough to re schedule the game to a Saturday at 12:30. :)
I will give it to LC on that one in the fact they did what they needed to do in order to stay in the game. 1) They didnt commit turnovers (which has plagued them this year) and 2) They controlled the tempo.

I dont think they will be nearly as fortunate the second time around.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT