ADVERTISEMENT

Here we go...

passion8

Nov 30, 2009
OK folks, this board has been dead. Let's hear what you think about your area's teams. Who are out in front as the favorites and who are the dark horses?

Passion8

Ellensburg will be the CWAC favorite hands down. Grandview,Toppenish,and Wapato will hang around and contend for the other two berths to the regional tournament with the GNL. Great deal for these two leagues as this year's regionals will be at Reese Court on the campus of Eastern Washington University. That's a better facility than the sundome.

Squalicum and Lynden in the NWC
This post was edited on 10/18 9:44 PM by Warrant3

Squalicum hands down in NW. Like football B-E will struggle a lot. Unlike football not seeing the talent at younger levels coming up. The past 5-7 years the BB team has been made up of basketball players 1st & with key players only sport. This year will be lots of football players playing basketball.

Perhaps this is Lynden's year? I think Squally has several decent return players and a few role players - no superstars. They will need multiple players stepping up on different nights, much like last year. Not sure how the younger talent measures up to others in NWC.

I love Warrant's Green and Gold glasses though...he's consistent
;)

-Passion8

I'm not a Lynden fan, although I have nothing against their program. A friend of mine told me they were nails this summer. Summer ball matters....it matters alot. Once you get past Squalicum and Lynden I don't see a team that jumps out.

"Summer ball matters....it matters alot."

In preperation for the regular season yes, in predicting regular outcomes not so much. There's many a slip twixed the cup and the lip.
This post was edited on 10/21 11:46 AM by col-pul

Summer ball CAN matter, but often doesn't. I can't tell you how many times the boys teams faced less than full-strength teams due to injuries, football, rotations, etc. Some coaches use summer league to extensively evaluate younger players to see how they do with older ones. I've also been to many a "lame" tourney where there are no real contenders. Easy to pad those summer time wins and give the boys some confidence.

-Passion8
This post was edited on 10/24 9:20 AM by passion8

Summer ball matters. It's a great early opportunity for teams to begin preparation for the next season.
This post was edited on 10/22 5:55 PM by Warrant3

I agree that Squalicum & Lynden are the class of the NWC this season. Would love to see another team emerge like Sehome did last season though...

Like I said, well typed but you know what I mean, summer ball is important for development, very VERY important and I don't know you can have a top caliber program without a good summer program. I just don't think it is predictive of basketball season outcomes. Lot of teams school this or that 4A'er and don't finish in the top half of their leagues. Lots of teams look down during summer tournaments but win trophies come trophy time. Great for team chemistry and skill development but different goals, different obligations, different season...

Point being I guess that summer ball is critical to a program’s success but is of its self not a predictor. Summer ball is analogous to the NFL pre-season.
This post was edited on 11/4 3:34 PM by col-pul

Would love to hear from those in the East and Southwest. Who are the contenders in your leagues?? Thanks...

Passion8

ADVERTISEMENT