ADVERTISEMENT

is there a more impressive HS facility than Heritage Park?

SPSLopinion

Jun 15, 2005
the new home of Puyallup and Rogers high schools?

Pierce County Parks provided the money, Puyallup school district had the vacant land. That is the most impressive facility I have seen in Washington State.

Have you been to the park at Hudson's Bay in Vancouver. It's a Multi-Million dollar facility that was ranked #1 by the Seattle Times a couple years ago. The money was donated by a very wealthy, generous, baseball loving alumni from what I've heard.

If you're looking for complete wow factor, something that will make you feel like a ballplayer from that era of the 20's and 30's, then you need to make a trip to Hoquiam's Olympic Stadium. Without a doubt in the state of washington, this is my favorite place. You can't know how amazing a spectacle it is until you've played a game there on a warm summer's night.

In Eastern Washington, Selah's ballpark has the feel of a minor league stadium with a terrific set up. It's a wonderful place to see and play a game. Ephrata has one of the better kept actual playing fields in the state. They have a beautiful park as well. Also, for that small town baseball lover, check out the park in Colfax. Set against a mountainside, it inspires any baseball lover.

While Heritage Park is not going to satisfy the baseball purist with its turf infield and basepads, it does have the advantage of a beautiful setting with Mount Rainier framing its outfield -- and let's face it, with two high schools (Puyallup H.S. and Rogers H.S.) having to share one baseball field for up to six scheduled games (plus any makeups) and their practices, turf is the only way to go on this side of the mountains.

I have been to the other fields mentioned and with the exception of Ephrata (which I heartily disagree with the preceeding writer) endorse them as lovely fields.

I would note that the local enthusiasm for Heritage Park probably stems from the fact that there as been no parks, fields or other recreational facilities or developments on South Hill (Puyallup) until that facility and the little park on an adjacent corner were recently built. It's no wonder the community is excited and charmed and I say, more power to them. I hope to see lots of kids of all ages playing baseball, softball (and , yes, even soccer).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT