ADVERTISEMENT

LC by 7 over SA

addicted2ball

Nov 4, 2012
Listened on the radio. LC led for all but 1 minute. Sounded like Reimer only played about 18 minutes and Brandsma not much more than that. Shier had a big game for SA. I think it says alot that LC wins, and controlled, a game in which Reimer was off his game. Thoughts? Warrant know you were there my friend

You beat me to the post I was going to start titled "LC wins tonight."

Game was close since midway through the 1st quarter. The teams were quite a contrast in both approach and attitude. Seattle Academy with the run and gun, capitalized on a lot of offensive boards. They needed them, as they missed a lot of shots tonight even from close range. The rim was particularly unforgiving for Hobbes. Seattle Academy is an athletic team. I particularly enjoyed a multiple save dive out of bounds sequence that finally rewarded them with the ball. Shier spent a lot of time on the floor after going up strong, but did not come away with calls he was used to getting. Both sides had a lot more reaction than action on both sides of the court which only added to the difficulties to officiate this one. SA played like they were never out of hit and kept scoring whenever LC tried to open a lead, but did not come up with key stops when they needed it. LC missed a lot of shots but were able to make the easy back door layups in the first half. LC played with discipline and a confidence that they were going to win it which really seemed to be the difference in the game. Scoring seemed balanced. I think Reimer finished with 10. Brandsma had some key baskets too. I did not catch the post game numbers, but I'm sure the Bellingham Herald or Seattle Times has them up by now. I expected a home team advantage for Seattle Academy that had quite a large student section, but the crowd really did not play a factor in this one at all. I did appreciate that a tourney organizer prior to the game moved SA's students out from right behind the Lyncs bench, where they were quietly replaced by the Cedar Park Christian scouting contingent, where we watched a lot of LC substitutions. With all those assistant coaches and lot of reserves, I felt bad for the swing player sitting on the first aid kit. I think I counted 9 video cameras going, so lots of teams will be watching this one over again.

Edit to fix typo and reorder.

This post was edited on 2/14 10:54 PM by FilmDoesn'tLie

solid play by SA. they are better than I gave them credit for, though LC did not play as well as they did against King's. SA is a legitimate contender. LC should hope that Reimer doesn't get into foul trouble against a good rebounding team that can shoot. Getting pounded on the glass was their big weakness when Reimer was out.

This post was edited on 2/14 10:51 PM by daretobe

Nice win for LC -- SA did miss a lot of bunnys that may have changed the outcome, but they need to quit whining. It seemed every call that went against them was questioned. They are VERY aggressive on defense and the boards (a good thing!), but the foul differential was earned in my opinion. They also forced a lot of turnovers and had a lot of 2nd chances (many missed).

I like the CPC/LC match-up -- should be very entertaining and I think both teams matchup well. I still like LC but CPC is going to take it to the wire.

FOH

This post was edited on 2/14 10:59 PM by Fan_of_Hoop

I got in the door at11:00pm. It was a fun game to watch. Thought SA had a great game plan. They played tight man to man and took away much of the LC perimeter game. The Lyncs showed their metal down the stretch. Brandsma hit some big shots. Reimer was out most of the first half with 2 fouls. He had some trouble with the quickness of the SA big's early on. That's part of the game, but LC did a nice job of getting through the first half without him, while maintaining a small lead. Personally I thought the officiating was pretty good, although you wouldn't know by listening to the jackass sitting behind me. Yaniv Shier is a baller, although he'd be better served without the theatrics.

FOH: agree on the SA attitude about foul calls. their lack of discipline and how easy they get frustrated by the refs is going to haunt them in Yakima if they don't just shut up and play. they should win next week, but the officiating is going to be different than they are used to and if they don't handle the adversity well, it could be ugly. their fans travel well, but they get into the whining act too, so whoever officiates the game is in for a "treat". does anyone know what happened between Shier and Reimer? Seemed like Shier threw Reimer down and almost got tossed for it. Probably lucked out, but that kind of behavior will get him booted in eastern Washington for sure so hopefully someone can take that kid aside and tell him its "team first". also, is davidov going to be back next week? they miss him for sure.

From what I understand, the SA players also called the LC players fa****s. Did not show class at all. Which is very dissappointing. Shier does not exactly seem to be a class act which is to bad because the kid can play. To be honest, I don't see a way in which they win state. You can't win state when you have headcases like the guys they've got. You need to be calm, cool, and collected. That's why I think you'll see LC, CPC, Zillah, or Toledo winning it. Would not be surprised to see SA lose in regionals. They seem like the type of team where one loss can just send them in a mental spiral. We'll see...I believe the final stats for LC were Brandsma with 13, Hommes Reimer and Van Dalen with 10 (reimer's all in the 2nd half) and Meppelink with 7. Very balanced. SA exploited LC's size weakness when Reimer was out; When he was in it seemed LC controlled the boards a lot better. Can't wait for the LC-CPC game.

I wasn't there but Dick Stark on the radio after the game said the SA fans were whining to the radio guys about the calls. That LC won't get all the calls if they play again. From reading what you guys are saying the SA players acted the same way. Classy. Is that a reflection of their leadership or the fact that they haven't been challenged much this year? Sometimes losing games during the season helps. You don't learn anything about your team when you win by 20. Just sayin'.

It sounds like LC played with composure. They've showed that pretty much all year. When they haven't they have lost. Thats a reflection of their coaching staff and the fact that they have been through every type of game you can imagine in the past two years. They have won 21 straight games against 1A opponents going back to 2010. They may not win it all this year but I can't imagine any team being more prepared and experienced right now. Last night was worth more than 1 win to them.

It should be fun to watch.

I forgot to mention one other thing that was VERY disappointing -- NO PROGRAMS? For a tri-district game? REALLY?

FOH

You nailed FOH! They couldn't even copy the regular season game rosters for a Tri-District game.

What we saw from SA in terms of the whining from fans and players is SA. They were exactly the same last year. They have been my pick to flame out for some time. Good players, just not enough discipline to win close, tough games.

I wouldn't be too quick to sell out this SA team. They are tough. The game last night was either team's to win with about 1:40 left. SA got called for a foul on what I thought was a clean steal on Van Dalen with LC holding a 2 point lead very late in the game. If I were an SA fan I would have been upset.
It was a great win for the Lyncs. They showed tremendous composure under difficult circumstances last night. That was the difference. SA fought hard until the end.
This post was edited on 2/15 10:10 AM by Warrant3

It was a great game. I just don't see SA being able to have the werewithal to win a championship. I think if they played again LC would win even easier. Could be wrong but don't think I am. But man am I excited for the LC CPC game.

I agree...A team that losses composure probably wont make the title game. But I do think that SA will win their regional game. It looks to me like they will face the winner of the Ki-Be vs. Burbank game ..(I would think that KI-Be would be the favorite in that game. ) I dont see either of those teams having the horsepower to hang with SA , even if they lose their heads.

I heard SA has had a history of this kind of bad behavior. Unruly parents make unruly student / fans in my book. I thought the AD had addressed that last year and was trying to make a culture change. I guess it didn't take.

I am always amazed at how parents and students can act so bad at a high school game. I've seen it at 3rd grade games.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see SA playing for the State Championship. I'm not predicting they will make the Championship game, but they have a team that's capable enough to get there. Regarding their players and fans, I've seen worse...much worse. None of their players got a technical foul and none of their fans got run out of the gym.

Warrant....The announcers on the radio got a report from a solid authority that Shier was almost ejected from the game with about 2 minutes left. Any idea what happened?

I was shielded by a group of players. The officials met for a considerable amount of time and made NO call on the play. Ball out SA. No one was ejected and there wasn't even a personal foul called. I can appreciate some folks taking exception to Shier, but I've seen worse, and I didn't notice issues with any other players.

Since I started the SA whining part of this thread I would like to add: I thought they whined a lot but it did not seem excessive. Their players and coaches were not overly demonstrative or screaming at the refs. And I get questioning a call here and there -- everyone does that. But it seemed like EVERY call that went against SA their players were throwing up their hands and looking at their coaches. HOWEVER, I did not see anything that I thought was over the top or even came close to needed a technical. But, I was not close enough to hear what was being said either...

As to the possible ejection, everyone saw the referees huddle up and discuss something right after a LC free throw, but I think most of us in the gym were clueless as to what they were discussing.

FOH

That late tussle was a good no call or warning. Just some bumping after the play with a reaction. The refs did well to gather and discuss what they saw. That sure looks like a clean steal in the last minute from my perspective, but I was farther and 180 degrees from the ref that whistled it.

I was also very disappointed with no program, even for purchase, especially, after seeing what they handed out in District4. Then again D1/2/3 has to rule by committee. I'll probably spin up something of my own for Saturday's championship. Can anyone send me a lync to the LC roster ?? (pun intended) Reply if you will be at the game and want one so I can make you a copy, since I have some requests from the CPC player's parents. This will not be an official program or for sale, just my own pregame handout as programs are up to the tourney manager. Warning: CP content focus since that is what I have.)

Film -- go to wiaa.com, on the main bar look under tournaments, last entry under there is "State Tournament Rosters". Most of the 1A teams still in it are under there. Nice new feature...although not all teams have their scoring listed which I like to have.

FOH

SA will not have a chance of competing for a state title this year. After watching that game they are cry babies and complain after every call. But i did call brandsma having a big game. The only thing that SA has going for them for the rest of the season is that they are good at getting boards.

I'll take your word for it, that it was a 5 point lead rather than a 2 point lead when the foul was called on the steal. In the heat of battle I may have gotten that wrong. What I am sure of is if the foul was not called we would likely be looking at a one possession game with some time left. It was a big call.

I was way off on my prediction. After 5 minutes it looked like I would be right on.... LC was up 14-4 i believe with about 3 left in the first quarter. Then Reimer sat the rest of the half and played very little in the second half. SA rebounded great and showed how badly they wanted it with that diving sequence to save the ball. As to the possible ejection it looked like Shier said something then threw his shoulder at a LC player who was walking off after being subbed in for. Probably a good no call but it seemed pretty classless.... Shier seemed to be talking to LC players the whole the whole game. Great game on the whole. I love watching good basketball, can't wait for tomorrow night!

Edit to fix typo
This post was edited on 2/16 8:32 AM by JordanShawdley

The announcers were saying a 5 point game also which does make a difference....That's a tough situation for the refs because they are expecting a foul to be committed...Sounded like an incredible game. I don't think that there is zero chance that SA wins it all. I just don't see a situation where it happens. Thanks for the insight on the SA players and that no techinical. Like i said I was listening not watching, so obviously had no way of knowing what was going on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT