ADVERTISEMENT

LC vs CP

Hooper30

Oct 21, 2002
Which team has the edge?
What would be the strengths and weaknesses for each team?
Sounds like this would be a great game to watch!
Where and When?

I'd give a slight edge to LC at the moment. They matchup fairly well. Scholten is a legit big guy, not as good as Reimer but a lot closer than most players. Dreschel is a game changer for CPC. The guy can fill it. However, I truly believe that LC's experience in big games makes the difference in one. CPC has not played a game like this, LC has played regular season games (vs Lynden) with as much pressure and toughness that comes with it. I like LC by 5-10 in a similar fashion to the SA game. Something to bear in mind though, if Reimer get's in foul trouble again, CPC could really take advantage.

That sounds about right. I agree with your 5-10. Games are tough to win at this point in the season. The thing that I've noticed that LC does extremely well is that they have 3 or 4 lock down defenders. They do a fantastic job of taking the scoring threat of the other team out of the picture with 1 guy and they can rotate another one in when needed. So a team having 1 or 2 "players" are at a disadvantage against LC's defense. Teams that have 5 well rounded scorers may have a better chance. Maybe. LC's zone has been really good the last half of the year. DeBoer does a great job of "protecting" foul trouble. Reimer hasn't fouled out many times this year and has played with 2-3 bodies hanging on him for 3 years.

I have not seen CPC play. I'm sure they are good. It will be a fun game to watch. Not too much pressure on them. They can play loose. Both teams will be playing in Mt Vernon next week.

Both coaches played together at LC and won a state title. Before computers. Ha.

This will be a great game. Both teams know how to score, are discipline, and can play defense. The only edge I see is LC's big game exposure. Although CPC can get it done in crunch time and overcome adversity in game situations (winning two OT games vs Seattle Christian). I can't say either way. We will just have to wait for game time. Whoever wins it will be by 8 or less and it will be a fight til the end.

Did I read that right?
Game time 6:15 at Lynnwood Saturday night?

Thanks for the report, too....looking forward to the game!

My opinion is if someone wins by double digits, it would be LC. But I believe like you do. I see this one being a single digit affair. Great point about LC locking down other team's scoreres....although they struggled a bit last night with Shier in the first half, they did a great job in the 2nd half. They have Vander Yacht and Meppelink there to lock down. Both are good size, VY is 6-2 and Meppelink is 6-3 and strong. They can guard pretty much any position within 3 or 4 inches of their height...I think the guy to keep your eye on for LC, outside of Reimer, is Dustin Brandsma. This kid is a big game gamer...He plays greater the bigger the stage. Last night vs SA when SA took their only lead of the game for a minute, he scored 8 straight to get them right back on top. He's a bit of a quiet player, but he's smooth. He could be the difference.

@Filmdontlie....I'm an avid LC fan and you're an avid CPC fan. Obviously we have our biases :) whatr your thoughts on the game?

This game also has a good storyline. Scholten's father, the player for CPC (not LC) attended Lynden Christian and played with De Boer. Also during some summer AAU tournaments Reimer and Meppelink I believe played alongside Scholten from CPC. Should be a good Tri-District Championship game.

LC by 7...I just think that they have the experiance factor that not many other teams have. With most of there team playing in the state tournement last year and the big game against lynden really gives them the edge. But they will have to do a better job on the glass because last night was ugly and hopefully reimer will be able to play more of the game and stay out of foul trouble to help them out there. I think they will have a balanced scoring attack from Brandsma, meppelink and VanDalen.

I believe this will be a great game for both teams going into the state tournament and will also give us a scale to judge them on. I think both teams will come in fired up to play. but i got LC by 8. I feel it will be similar to the kings and SA games as far as LC coming out to a lead earlier. But CP could have a better chance of getting back into the game down the stretch. But I believe that LC is hot right now and have good expierence in games such as this one.

I've been posting a lot lately and was going to conveniently avoid replying to this thread. While I am an avid fan, I've admitted before here I am by no means an expert basketball analyst. But if you are going to call me out for not chiming in, I may as well do it right, so prepare for a long post: So here is my take on the game:
-----------------------------------------

Cedar Park Christian (Bothell) [19-1] faces Lynden Christian [20-5] Saturday Night at 6:15PM at new Lynwood High School off of North Road near Filbert Road in Bothell. http://binged.it/15i2nRh

Here is the relevant piece of the nwcathletics.com tri- district bracket:

-------------------------------------

2 Lynden Christian | D1/2/3 Tri District Championship

|

#7 Lynnwood HS |

Feb. 16, 6:15pm | ------------------------------------------------------

| Winner #1 seed from D1/23, Loser #2 Seed from D1/2/3

1 Cedar Park Chr. (Bothell) |

------------------------------------

This game will be the first of hopefully two post season meetings this year for these teams. Each of them has a goal of the state title, and this first meeting is not a loser out contest. At stake though is the tri-district championship and higher seeding in the February 23rd regionals which will be held in Mt. Vernon, There the winner/loser of this game will face the loser/winner of tonight's Hoquiam vs. La Center game down South. The real prize for winning is a hopeful, more favorable pairing that will occur in the yet unpublished bracket for Yakima's state tournament games. These northern teams will both have to take care of business first and not overlook those tough District 4 regional matchups.

Every season is brand new and this may not have been the matchup you were expecting in the fall. Last winter, Lynden Christian was the state champion and Cedar Park Christian was knocked out of Tri-Districts on a desperation heave by the Cowboys that left the crowd stunned. On Saturday night you should see that there are a lot more similarities between these two teams than the differences found in the Thursday matchup we saw between Lynden Christian and Seattle Academy where it was 'run the offense' versus 'run and gun.' This game will not be any easier to officiate, but I expect it to be a bit less distracting. I anticipate the same competitiveness without the feistiness. Both teams in this tri-district championship are patient, composed, disciplined teams that have some excellent outside shooters and good interior play in the paint. Both teams have a similar mix of basketball/football and 'basketball only' guys that emerges as a combo of finesse, size and speed.

Both teams have a Scholten on the roster. You Lync fans have already recalled your 1982 State Championship game MVP was named Scholten. Dwayne is now an assistant coach on the Cedar Park bench and his son Evan is the Eagle's big man inside. While Seattle Academy came into the season with a core of guys that played together since freshman year, Cedar park has both improved their returning starters and upgraded some of their other pieces. One could probably argue Cedar Park has built the last couple seasons around Scholten who is close to double digit double-doubles this year. But just like last night's less productive showing from Reimer from LC, CPC always has someone step up. They do not rely on Scholten to carry the scoring weight every night. They have a lot of ways to beat their competition on both ends of the court. CPC has started every one of their varsity guys this season, so their bench is deep and hungry to compete for a slot. Luke Saufferer is still the best 1A point man I've seen play this season with 4 other CPC guys that could probably start at point for quite a few of the teams they have faced. As a group they really have an incredible chemistry and are solid young men. I'll give the nod to CPC for the easier time knowing who they can double team.

Cedar Park Christian comes into the game well rested since they will have not played for 11 days since ending with no district tournament and a bye leading into this game. I'm sure, had the Eagles been struggling with injury, the wait would have been welcomed. They have a lot smaller squad than the Lyncs so perhaps in the long run it is a benefit down the stretch to have this extended break. We will know early into the game if they have to shake off the cobwebs. I expect this to be a classic matchup and the gym should be rocking. It will be a de facto home game for the higher seeded Cedar Park Christian since it is held right in Bothell and they've been able to get the confirmed date, time, venue out to their fans for some time.

Even without a huge night by Reimer, the Eagle players in attendance at last night's game have to be thinking they are facing a new level of competition from here on out than what they were up against in league play. Though you have to say the Nisqually was great competition this year as 6 of 9 teams obtained winning records. The Lyncs have been playing consistently tough opponents across the season with more 2A opponents. CPC players saw tough higher division foes playing together in Bellevue College fall league and in their holiday tournament. LC looked really good in person. I was really, really impressed with LC's ability to keep SA out of their transition game. Reimer will be itching to have a great night. I don't know how Bransma got some of those unorthodox shots with hands right in in his face. You have to give the nod to LC for the been there done that experience factor.

Tomorrow night's game, if you boil it down, will be about getting the basics done and doing the things that brought them here: Making fewer mistakes, making the short shots, making the extra pass, taking care of business at the line. Not losing track of who you are defending near the paint, will help too, because everybody on that court will again be really fast. No matter the outcome, CPC will only get better for the experience and become a more dangerous opponent at state, so they have the better upside of having this early matchup. Of course I am picking CPC by a few points, but you knew that part already.
Edit: attempt to clean up bracket formatting, readability.
This post was edited on 2/15 5:08 PM by FilmDoesn'tLie

Filmdontlie....appreciate that post! Well thought out, and well said...while I have LC by a few, I believe you brought up some incredible points. Let's bear in mind, that no matter the outcome, the ultimate goal is a State Championship, not a tri-district championship. No matter the outcome, the loser has every bit as good of a chance of winning that State Championship as the winner. Can't wait.

I believe the final 8 pairings in Yakima are a total lottery--no points for finishing first in any district, so I think it is possible that CPC and LC could play in the first round in Yakima. At that point, all 8 teams will have made it through a long haul so I don't really have a problem with it. I might be wrong on this, though.

That's how it was last year. If you remember, a similar situation happened with Toledo and Zillah playing. I don't have a problem with it either. There's not a great way to do it otherwise, because every team has to play a loser out game to get to the dome. We also could see SA and LC in the first round again.

The way teams draw at state our based on regionals. the only rule is you can not draw the team from your own regional. For example the LC CP Lacenter adn Hoquiam regional cannot draw each other in the first round game. So the winners will be in opposite sides of the bracket.

LC wins the Tri-District over Cedar Park Christian (Bothell) with a final score of 52-39. Great victory for the Lyncs tonight. Hommes had a great game (12) and as expected Reimer came back strong and had a soft touch(15). It was a low scoring 1st half with excellent defense on both sides. LC had a huge rebounding advantage in the first half. Kudos to the Lyncs for strong interior defense. The Eagles uncharacteristically resorted to a lot of outside shots. They were falling for Ben Anderson (11) coming off the bench in the first half, but were not dropping for the Eagles in the 2nd half. Tough miss on the reverse by Evan Scholten as the Eagles were within 6 early in the 4th. Drechsel played a lot of the 4th with 4 fouls. LC made their free throws and Cedar Park shot well below their average. They were also out rebounded by 15 or more. At least CPC had low turnovers 7.

Lyncs Coach Roger Deboer said the his kids battled through an adverse first half and that he was joking with opposing coaches that we put basketball back about 30 year to the day when he Coach Scholten were playing together.

Next week in Mt. Vernon at state regionals, Cedar Park Christian will face the SW#3 LaCenter. LC will play 4th seeded Hoquiam. This post was edited on 2/16 7:47 PM by FilmDoesn'tLie

This post was edited on 2/16 8:08 PM by FilmDoesn'tLie

Filmdon'tlie....Do you think experience had anything to do with the uncharacteristic performance? As in the experience in the big games? I wasn't there so couldn't say.

I got back from the game a short while ago. Another impressive win for Lynden Christian. It was tight throughout the first half, with the Lyncs taking a two point lead into the locker room. LC got it going in the second half. What can I say, the final score pretty well sums it up.

Theyre coming together, especially Defensively, at the right time again. Scary for the rest of the state.

rough day/night for the Nisqually. 0-3 and two teams going home. throw in Seattle Christian's loser out loss to Port Townsend and maybe that league is a bit overrated? just saying. my opinion of SA rose with their effort vs. LC, but have to say it dropped with CPC's against LC.

It is really hard to ague with your reasoning given yesterday's results. Perhaps a case could also be made that Nisqually would benefit from a district 3 tournament instead of a late finish & off week prior to tri-districts. Some of you may have a better recollection of that perceived impact in years past.

LC looked like the team that has been in that situation before. once again they had a great balanced scoring attack. could be a matchup we see again this post season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT