ADVERTISEMENT

Meridian wins 2nd mini playoff over Blaine 15-14

Rainmaker2112

Gold Member
Sep 12, 2008
Winner gets Eatonville. Loser gets consolation game vs Cedar Park.

Rain is harder but straighter! Stands are full. Blaine beat Meridian 34-27, 18 days ago. Blaine will receive.

This post was edited on 10/30 9:02 PM by Rainmaker2112

Re: 2nd mini playoff Blaine vs Meridian Updates

Blaine crosses mid field, but forced to punt. Meridian ball on own 20. 7:39 1st.

Trojans punt from own 39 to Blaine's 24. Field position is key. Mistakes will cost dearly.

Noted thanks to Ted House whose Tweets I am posting. Credit to him!

Trojans up 7-0 - Returned fumble for a td.

Long run by Blaine - Now up 8-7

Meridian on scoreboard first

Trojans return a Blaine fumble 30 yds for a TD.

7-0 Meridian leads @ 2:33 of the 1st.

Blaine takes lead back on Gobbato run

Blaine's Mario Gobatto just went 70 yds for a score. And QB Kramme gets 2 points on a bootleg. Now 8-7 Blaine 2:18 1st

Trojans punt on 4th & 29. Blaine ball on Trojan 47

Blaine leads 8-7, 11:25 2nd.

Could come down to the wire

Blaine punts. Trojan ball own 29. 8:50 in the game.

Blaine leads 8-7

: Timeout Meridian. 4th & 2 at own 37. 7:23 left.

Blaine leads 14-7. Gonna be a good finish

Gobatto 6 yd TD run for Blaine. He was stuffed for a loss on the conversion. 14-7 Blaine with 4:12 left.

Meridian takes lead 15-14 with 11 seconds left

Meridian goes for 2. Pass complete. 15-14 Meridian with 11 secs left.

Pass intercepted. Final Meridian 15, Blaine 14. Trojans advance to tri-district at Eatonville.

borderite what happened last i saw blaine was up 14-7 on gobbatos 2nd td run and then i look and meridian won it was a huge shock to me

Blaine scored with like 4 minutes left. Went for 2 like they always do. Gobbato got stuffed on a run that everybody knew was going to him.

Meridian got the ball and started moving down the field. Got to the Blaine 10 and had a fourth and short. Threw a short pass to pick up the first down. Called a timeout and ran a trick play to score. They threw the ball to a WR and then he threw it to the endzone. A diving catch that was really close. I thought that they might go for two and sure enough, they did. I think they went four or five wide and threw a quick slant to pick it up. Blaine had one last chance that got picked off at the 30 yard line.

My issue was with the two point conversions. Dodd picked a terrible playcall. First time they ran a QB bootleg that fooled everybody. Run something like that or throw the ball. Meridian sold out for Gobbato and he never had a chance.

Then on the Meridian one I would have called a timeout. You knew they weren't gonna run since Blaine had been stopping them all night and Meridian was moving the ball pretty good through the air.

Congratulations to Meridian. They've come a long way since that beatdown against BE to open their season. Jay Dodd's seat is getting warm in Border Town. Two problems I see: Unrealistic expectations by parents and fans. Dodd's predictable play calling. There was a very revealing comment by one of the Blaine players in the Bellingham Herald following the Kansas tie-breaker in which he said "people" told the players they would walk right through their opponents this year coming down to 1A. I know Jay Dodd wouldn't say that. So who did? Assistant coaches, parents?

Blaine fans need to step back from the ledge. Ask yourselves, where was the program before Dodd took over? There is no shame getting beat by a Bob Ames coached team. The guy is one of the best ever.

borderite i could not agree with you more on play calling. there were a few times during the nooksack game when they keep pounding the middle repeatedly over and over again that everyone in the world is knowing who is getting the ball and sure eough bam same play that they just ran, run it outside, run a toss. have some diversity in your play calling when everyone sells out on one guy or everyone in the box crashes the middle and everyone leaves holes on the outside and you cannot make adjustments or see that on the field when everyone can see it in the stands its just mind boggling to me. now onto warrant my good man there was absolurtely no and i mean no reason why blaine should not have won the auto birth to state this year. they have one of the biggest lines in the NWC, they have arguably the best running back in the state and the players, coaches, and fans/ parents should have high hopes coming into this year. those were not unreasonable expectations this year to go to state or beat NV, LC, FH, after competing against 2A schools last year with a big group of those boys the fact is the coaching got in the way this year which is a shame

At the end of the day(season), Blaine is, what their record says they are. The Borderites controlled their own destiny last Thursday when they played at Nooksack. The Pioneers simply outplated Blaine, particularly along the line of scrimmage. I really believe that players, some coaches and fans all thought it was going to be a walk in the park moving down to 1A. Ask yourself this question, when has Blaine ever dominated Meridian in football. Add to that the fact Nooksack Valley is a much better program now than it was several years ago. Blaine did have considerable talent this season, but you still have to play the game. Frankly, I felt their achilles this year was their defense, not their offense, and not the HC playcalling. That's just my 2 cents.

I don't think I had unrealistic expectations. I was thinking make the playoffs and lose in the first round. What bothers me is the last season collapses these past few year. A couple of years back all they had to do was beat a bad Sehome team and lost on the last play of the game. Then, this year they lose two in a row (after taking the lead early in both games) and in the end miss the playoffs.

I'm not saying it's time for Dodd to go (Besides, they would never fire him). He's done a good job rebuilding the program but I don't know if he can take to them to the next level. I don't see Meridian having more talent then Blaine most years and yet they are always in the playoff hunt. I think coaching is a big reason for that.

I understand completely where you are coming from. I'm not trying to infer you had unrealistic expectations, however, some folks certainly did. Which two games were you talking about Blaine taking an early lead? I know they led Mount Baker early, but I don't think Nooksack ever trailed did they?
Lepper is doing a good job coaching Mount Baker, Rob Myre has done an excellent job building the Nooksack program, and Ames' teams are always tough. The road isn't going to get any easier in the future.

Wasn't Blaine up against NV? I thought they were. When I saw the Baker score (14-0) I thought the game was over...

Moving down to 1A was the best thing to happen for Baker and Blaine. Not only for football but all the other sports too. I see the NWC 1A football being wide open most years which is good for the kids.

No Blaine never led against Nooksack. Pioneers started the scoring and the closest Blaine got was 7-6 in second quarter, then 21-20 early in 4th quarter. In fact the game was out of reach when Muder ran up the middle on 3rd and long for 56-yd TD late in the 4th quarter.

If you look at Blaine's season they were in close games in virtually all of their NWC 1A games. As I mentioned in an earlier post:

They beat Friday Harbor after the FH running back fumbled at their 2yd line going in for a TD AND Muder ran it back 98yds for the winning TD. Blaine was behind most of that game.They beat Meridian 34-37 after sacking McQuinn on the 3yd line going in for the tying TD. They struggled against Nooksack who caved the bigger Blaine line and the LBs ran the gaps to stop everything inside the tackles.
Blaine might have had the bigger line, but these NWC teams have faced great running backs year after year. It's no secret that you want to shut down Gobbato, so you sell out to that and make Blaine beat you with the passing game.

It surprised me that the player was quoted in the newspaper as saying "we thought we'd roll our way through", since that just shows the lack of respect they had for the competition. I realize that Gobatto will go down as one of the best in the area & state, but they found out that you have to be well-rounded to win in the league.

Finally, and on a different point, but that applies. The one thing that hurt in my opinion was these teams having to face each other in a crazy post-season. Playing the same teams three times in two weeks or so is crazy. You can't give any team three chances to beat you, since the odds they will.

Instead of doing the normal Dist. 1 crossovers they decided to go with:

NWC #1 gets bye

CC #1 gets into Tri-districts without playing a game

NWC #2 & #3 and CC #2 do mini-playoff

Note that the above was exacerbated by the 3-way tie for second and the Kansas City tiebreaker.

What the NWC should have done is:

NWC #1 plays NWC #4

NWC #2 plays CC #2

CC #1 plays NWC #3

That would have precluded teams from facing each other three times in two weeks.

i totally agree rainmaker you probably mentioned it with your comparison but this year think they should have done this.

NWC number 1: baker they get a bye
NWC number 2 blaine should have faced the CC number 2 south whidbey
NWC number 3 meridian should have faced the CC number 1 coupeville ( even though they did)
The winners of those 2 games should BOTH advance to a tri district game and played another team that probably missed out the same way blaine did last night but just my 2 cents...

By the way rainmaker are blaine and cedar park christian playing friday or saturday? do you think gobbato gets his 340 or whatever he needs?

"If you look at Blaine's season they were in close games in virtually all of their NWC 1A games."
When did Lynden Christian drop out of the NWC?

"They beat Meridian 34-37 after sacking McQuinn on the 3yd line going in for the tying TD."
Really! You forgot to mention Blaine led the entire game. Somehting "I" mentioned in a previous post.

"Blaine might have had the bigger line, but these NWC teams have faced great running backs year after year."
Nooksack crowded the line of scrimmage with DL's, Linebackers, and Safeties to slow down Gobbato. When was the last time the Pioneers had to resort to that defensive alignment?

"It's no secret that you want to shut down Gobbato, so you sell out to that and make Blaine beat you with the passing game.
Is that how you beat them in the Kansas tie-breaker?.........Whoops!.

"It surprised me that the player was quoted in the newspaper as saying "we thought we'd roll our way through", since that just shows the lack of respect they had for the competition. I realize that Gobatto will go down as one of the best in the area & state, but they found out that you have to be well-rounded to win in the league."

The least thing you could have done is printed the entire quote rather cherry pick one phrase. The player you are quoting said the players were told they would roll their way through (paraphrasing). In other words, it wasn't even his quote.

I realize that Gobatto will go down as one of the best in the area & state, but they found out that you have to be well-rounded to win in the league."
Thanks Dad!

Warrant3 is harmless, so don't think he's hostile. Glad to respond to your comments as it is always good football conversations on here.

On to the response.....

When did Lynden Christian drop out of the NWC?

Hence why I put "virtually", which means "Nearly; almost". LC was the one instance in the NWC 1A they weren't in a close game...oh and Mount Baker, but at the opposite end of the spectrum. Of course, I'm sure you knew what "virtually" meant.

Really! You forgot to mention Blaine led the entire game. Something "I" mentioned in a previous post.

1000 points to Griffen-Warrant! Again, doesn't matter, as the Blaine/Meridian game was still close and came down to the final seconds, right?

Nooksack crowded the line of scrimmage with DL's, Linebackers, and Safeties to slow down Gobbato. When was the last time the Pioneers had to resort to that defensive alignment?

Against Blaine the Pioneers had their CB's in man-to-man with safety in deep middle). The Pioneers rolled up the other safety to help near the line. Who have the Pioneers faced with this alignment?

2008 - Forks - had 1A state leading rusher Larry Dixon (1700+ yards). Shut down save for one long TD run.

2009 - LaConner & LaCenter - LaConner had one of the leading rushers in 1B & in the state that year. Shut down. LaCenter ran the tight double-wingT - Pioneers employed same alignment with a safety rolled up to the line.
Shutdown potent rushing attack

2010 - Chimacum & Toledo. Pioneers in same alignment, slowed down potent running attacks that were coming in with rushers that weren't slowed down normally. As I recall Daniel Watts came in with 1300+ yds for Chimacum and they had plenty of other close to 1000-yd rushers. Same with Toledo.

2010 - Cedar Park Christian - same type of alignment, but dynamics of the game & defense needed changed when CPC starter went out with concussion. Wing (think it was Connor Jackson a senior this year for them)
moved to QB and did a great job of running offense. He ripped off some long runs, including one that setup winning FG.

Is that how you beat them in the Kansas tie-breaker?.........Whoops!.
Kansas City tiebreaker was a team win by Blaine and not just Gobbato. Kansas City tiebreaker should be only used at the end of tied regulation games and not as as tie-breaker alone. Use of it in this case to decide a winner after regular season was wrong in my opinion. Play the tiebeaker games at least one full quarter on the full field and who knows what would have happened.

The least thing you could have done is printed the entire quote rather cherry pick one phrase. The player you are quoting said the players were told they would roll their way through (paraphrasing). In other words, it wasn't even his quote.

I was trying to quote the player as best as I could remember, but as you stated I should have pulled his quote exactly as he stated it. Does it change the thought that the players and fans bought into believing they were going to roll? The comments heard in the stands before the Nooksack game showed that many held the same belief system even into that final game.

Thanks Dad!

All I could do was laugh at this one.

Lol. I watched the CPC game. A very bad example my friend. They were big, they were strong, they controlled the LOS. Chimacum?.......Buuuaaaahhhhhhaaaa! If Luke Dixon had close to 100, you didn't shut him down.

As I mentioned in a previous post, no one associated with the Blaine football program made excuses for their loss at Nooksack. Jay Dodd is a stand up guy. As for spectators, well they are spectators, and I seriously doubt they were all making those unfortunate comments. As for their comments after the game................what did you expect after your announcer's classless comment. I too was stunned by the comment made in the BH by the Blaine player. It shows the kind of BS these kids were being fed by.................? It was a recipe for disaster, and disaster struck.

I may just pull up last year's schedule so you can point out all the Gobbato-like rushers you faced. I mean you face them every year right?

What did I know about "virtually?" I know that it is a virtual certainty you didn't know what you were going to find when you pulled it up in the dictionary. Even a blind mouse finds an occasional piece of cheese.

wink.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 11/2 7:22 AM by Warrant3

Blaine @ CPC game will be Friday 7PM at Juanita High School in North Kirkland according to the school site. (CPC does not want to play this on Saturday.) Come prepared as neither home or away seating is covered at this venue with rain showers forecast around game time.

cpc football

Something like (paraphrasing) ".....and we shut down Gobbato!" Meaning of course, we shut him down the entire game. He wasn't referring to one play. I found it to be pretty tasteless. He did apologize shortly after. The Blaine faithful were somewhat incensed. I think the real anger centered around, why single out one player, no matter who he is.

Anyone who has a different take on what the announcer said, feel free to correct me.
This post was edited on 11/2 7:34 AM by Warrant3

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT