ADVERTISEMENT

Metal spikes in High School

18bighitter

May 18, 2006
INDIANAPOLIS, IN (July 9, 2007) -- High school softball players will be permitted to wear metal cleats and metal toe plates beginning with the 2008 season.
This change in Rule 3-2-11 is one of three rules revisions approved by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Softball Rules Committee at its annual meeting June 10-12 in Indianapolis. The rules changes subsequently were approved by the NFHS Board of Directors.
"Metal cleats provide better traction for athletes on nearly all surfaces, including hard, wet or under-maintained fields," said Cindy Simmons, chair of the NFHS Softball Rules Committee and assistant executive director of the Oregon School Activities Association. "They also help prevent slippage on the bases, especially home plate."
Current rules prohibit runners from illegal tactics when sliding, and if sliding is executed correctly, the risk of defensive players being "spiked" will decrease.

How do you all think this is going to turn out? I'm definatly excited to wear metal cleats in high school, but I'm not sure it's going to fly with a lot of parents. With all of the safety precations in fastpitch these days especially in high school, parents might have a hiss-fit about it. I really don't see a problem to it, but when the first girl gets spiked we'll see what the WIAA does next season.

I like the idea of metal spikes. I think it will take a few years for the athletes to get comfortable wearing and playing against metal spikes. Not only will metal spikes help players, I believe it will force coaches to work harder on sliding and plays around the bases, which in turn will make coaches better as well as players.

I think it's a terrible idea considering I still have Scars on my cheek from an "unsportsmanlike" slide 10 years ago! Coaches can teach the correct way to do things and stress sportsmanship but sometimes you run into the win at all costs type player! I’m sorry I just don’t see this being beneficial! Just because I have to look at the results of it everyday in the mirrior, and just think how much worse it would be if the cleats were metal.
frown.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT