ADVERTISEMENT

Missed TD call in Royal Montesano Game

Quincyfan05

May 17, 2008
I am not from Royal, but I do like the way they play football and followed them throughout the year. they got outplayed yesterday by Monte and Monte deserved to win the game. That being said I was really upset when I saw the officials miss this call. I think everyone in the stadium saw the Royal QB in the endzone. How does the line judge miss this call? at 1:36:50 in the video I posted the play. This is not acceptable in the state championship game to miss a call that was this easy. They also may have missed movement on the line. Game should have been one TD closer, that is for sure.

http://wiaanetwork.playonsports.com/events/45871

False start? The video is here, please give us a number? The QB was in on this play AND the previous play. This play had the potential to effect the game, especially when you consider the ADDITIONAL face mask calls and holding call the referees missed in Monte's favor. How does a highly critical line judge who conjurs 2 in a row nuetral zone call on the same pat, miss this line judgement call?

The whole line moved before the ball was even snapped. Mostly the right side of the line. So really you never scored, so thats that and its not a missed call

Tough to tell from that angle. Looks like he may have gotten in...

What is way more clear is the fact that running the ball between the left TE and left offensive tackle was a far better call than bashing the QB into a wall of 6 defenders twice in a row...

...and you also greatly increase your chances of losing when you give up 43 points, bad calls or not.
This post was edited on 12/2 6:45 PM by Everybody Calm Down

@ Frodo It's not a missed call? You just said the whole line moved? That would mean they missed a false start or offsides call. I personally can't tell if there was false start on the offense or off sides on the defense. The first person that moves is #44 the Inside linebacker/nose guard from Montesano but you cant tell from the angle if he was off sides. Royal QB clearly goes forward quite a bit, and you can tell his upper body is over the line. The only way he doesn't score is if the ball is between his knees.

I have shown this play to 3 different people from out of state,( I am living in Idaho) They all said the QB scored but werent sure if there was a false start. no matter, Monte still won by 15. Just upsets me we don't have better officials in s state title game. I know refs make mistakes, but wow this was pretty bad.

This post was edited on 12/2 6:40 PM by Quincyfan05

the right side of the line did NOT move...it was a QB sneak on pressure and the center snapped the ball on what looked like a silent count. The problem was actually that the line did NOT move which allowed penetration to stop the QB's momentum.

bottom line: score more definitively by running an off-tackle play to the left or having your line get a better push. He falls forward but Montesano's penetration blocked the linesman's view. A replay from the side might have shown a TD but the QB's knees are outside the goal line and his body and the ball are barely across when the pile is uncovered. Wonder why he didn't stretch out more with the ball to make it an easier call.

Royal has only themselves to blame for not scoring...

And for giving up 43 points in the other 47 minutes of the football game.

Congrats to both teams for a great season.
This post was edited on 12/2 6:49 PM by Everybody Calm Down

Agreed. Terrible call. Everyone saw it was a TD and it wasn't even very close. He was in by a half a yard at least. Anyone who disagrees is being extremely biased and dishonest with themselves. Any third party (other than that line judge, apparently) would agree. That said, props to both monte and royal on great seasons. 2 high quality teams and lots of high quality kids on both teams I am sure. Both teams had a lot of studs. I am sure if they played ten times, it would be about half and half. I was glad to see 2 public schools in the finals.

This post was edited on 12/2 11:02 PM by rkfootballer

Wow! As an unbiased observer that was clearly a touchdown. No doubt about. Terrible job by the refs!

Royal was clearly outcoached and outplayed, but officiating was mediocre at best. There were missed and questionable calls throughout the game that affected both sides. These are things that happen throughout the regular season, but the state games should be played with the top officials. Not sure that is what we saw on Saturday.

Just to clarify...

"Anyone who disagrees is being extremely biased and
dishonest with themselves. Any third party (other than that line judge,
apparently) would agree."

So you making a rather bold, "no gray area" comment about the bias of anybody watching this play...

...and you cheer for which team?

Thanks in advance.

3dgrin.r191677.gif

RE: Verbal Warning If you look at the entire game, I would not argue that Royal got out played and out coached on Saturday. I doubt anybody from the Royal community would argue that. If you look at the first 20 minutes of the game, Monte got outplayed and out coached, so yes there are lots of perspectives to look at here. As for you next statement, you might be "technically" right, missed calls effected both teams in this game. But it would be nearly impossible for you to argue, that missed calls effected both team equally. If Royal had been awarded their touchdown, it likely becomes a 1 point or tied game in the middle of the 3rd qtr. Who knows what happens after that, I will not speculate. However, you can see how the Royal players reacted after seeing their QB cross the line twice, and not receive the TD. Those are tough odds to overcome, and could drop any teams spirits.

I think Montesano deserved to win the game but I think the Refs missed the TD Call. I am not from Royal nor Monetsano and I am just calling it like I see it. Royal couldn't stop the Monte passing game. Final score should have been 43-35. I posted about this because I hate to see poorly officiated state championship games. The kids deserve better

This post was edited on 12/3 8:07 PM by Quincyfan05

ya i thought I should watch it again to be sure and yes there is no gray area. touchdown. again, Monte played very well and deserved to win. congrats. but that was a blown call, and a big one. hey, I never said I was a 3rd party just that a 3rd party would agree it was a touchdown :)

Failed Mary? If I remember right, and I'm sure I do, the Seahawks scored and won the game. Just sayin'.

"Failed" means didn't work. Last time I checked Seahawks won. Still there on their record. So "failed" would not be the correct term.

LOL! You guys are funny.

The camera angle is from the 50 yard line and you think you can judge whether the ball crossed the goal line or whether there was a false start from that angle?

Let me ask you something. Do you think that call would have been overturned in the NFL or NCAA with that lone camera angle? Of course not.

Somebody show us the same angle that the wing officials had. Then and only then can we determine if the ball broke the plane.

LOL!

FBRef I sure hope you are not a real ref, If you think that was not a TD I don't want you reffing any games.

I was sitting in the end zone, right over the play, it was close but I couldn't tell if it was in or not as I didn't have a "down the line" sight plane. I thought it was the correct call.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT