ADVERTISEMENT

My NWC Predictions Week 1

football_fever3

Sep 23, 2006
Thought I could spur some conversations by predicting each NWC matchup every week, so here is my try and the week 1 slate.

Lynden @ Kings: In the end, I think the Lions come out on top, but it will not be as easy as it was last season. Kings has a 2 year starter coming back under center, a good return up front, as well as a very big and athletic TE. Lynden returns a decent amount, but with a handful of kids not elagible for either the entire game or at least the first half, there will be some very in-experienced kids on the field. MY PICK - Lynden

Bellingham @ Squalicum:
Bellingham made some strides forward getting back to a decent football team that is ready and able to play a full schedule of 2A NWC teams, but they are not their yet. Meanwhile, with Coach Lucey at the helm, the Storm made some even bigger strides. I still believe this Squalicum team is going to be the biggest question mark. Are they ready to enter into the upper portion of the league? We will see. MY PICK -
Squalicum

Hoquiam @ Meridian:
Dont know much about either, but I do know Hoquiam made the playoffs last year, and are bringing back most of their team. On the flipside, Meridian missed the playoffs, and are not bringing back much. MY PICK - Hoquiam

Mt Vernon @ Burlington: Burlington did in fact make a playoff run last season, all the while playing well under their ability in my humble opinion. Mt. Vernon however struggled through their 4A Wesco league. The game will be close, as Burlington just doesnt impress me in what they do, while they have some of the best bodies in the league. MY PICK - Burlington

Anacortes @ Nooksack: From all I read and hear, the Pioneers do not have much in the cupboard this year, but that is not to say they will be horrible. I have a lot of respect for Coach Meyher and staff. Anacortes on the other hand got dealt a horrible hand with a newly hired head coach stepping down days before the first practice. That would be a tough way to start a new season. Glad these two teams are playing each other early. MY PICK - Anacortes

Mt Baker @ Sedro: Fun matchup in week one. Baker is a well coached football team that plays hard and low. They understand how to win, and will probably will be making another deep run into the playoffs this season. The bummer part for them, their week one matchup is against my potential state title favorite. MY PICK - Sedro-Woolley

New Westminister @ Blaine: Know nothing about either ... GO USA! MY PICK - Blaine

Sehome @ Cascade Christian (Husky Stadium): Mr. Rapp is going to be the real deal this season for the Mariners. Really good running back and a great Safety. Not sure how much they have around him however, so that is yet to be seen. On the other side, CC may be a 1A school, but they could matchup and beat many 2A and even some 3A teams in the past. They also know how to win games. MY PICK - Cascade Christian

Omak @ Lynden Christian: I know nothing about Omak, and very little about LC. At some point, I keep waiting for the Lyncs to put things together and that football program to build a little bit. Maybe this is the year? MY PICK - Lynden Christian

Kamiakin @ Ferndale: Tough call. Kamiakin has traditionally been pretty good. They beat Ferndale last season at home, yet I feel this year's Ferndale team is going to be much improved on last season's version. MY PICK - Golden Egglets

ADVERTISEMENT