ADVERTISEMENT

Naches vs. Riverview Homerun that turned into an out

Brook29

Feb 24, 2003
The Tri-City Herald said a RV kid hit a homerun in the bottom of the 7th with one out but dislocated his right knee in the batter box. He was called out as Naches apparently chose not to carry him around the bases ala CWU women's softball. The score was 8-3 at the time of the HR. Anybody there care to comment about what happened and why Naches chose not to help.

If I were from Naches Valley, I would be ultimately disgraced. They have a great program, a great tradition, and my good friend Billy Walker is a great man, but I am more than a little disappointed in this situation. It seems like the game wasn't close enough that the homerun would have had a significant impact, and it was the bottom of the seventh. I do not understand the move on the Naches part, but if my kid was on the field, I would expect him to assist that poor kid, regardless of the situation, sportsmanship is more valuable to me than the outcome of the contest. All in all, Naches won their region and proved themselves a final four team, so in that light, I would like to wish them the best of luck at state. Being an SCAC man, they are my favorite, and my team this coming weekend.

Naches turned there back on a great sportsmanship moment. The game was well in hand and they had nothing to lose but a ding in one kids ERA. I'll be rooting for everyone but Naches.

WOW TAKE IT EASY WALKER THIS ISNT THE MLB. THAT ISNT A-ROD UP TO BAT AND YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE WORD SPORTSMANSHIP MEANS!

I was the closest person to the kid who blew out his knee that at bat. First off, saying that he was thrown at is not true. If you watched the whole game, you'd remember Wilcox having control issues the whole time. Second, the kid who blew out his knee pitched the inning before and almost took off Wilcoxs head. But oh well, nothing happened, why bean the kid when we're in a game to go to the final four, when anything can happen? That would be stupid, and knowing Thomas Wilcox all my life, know for a fact he would never intentionally throw at an opponents head, not even if told to. The kid swung with all he had, and I'm not sure if the ball has even landed yet, but unfortunately we all know what happened after that. Being right next to him when it happend, I saw how much pain he was in. I can say that carrying him around would have made a storybook ending, but theres no way we could. First off, how would we? With his leg dangling like that? What if for some reason he tweaked his knee more? Anybody think about that? Then we could have been in trouble for carrying him, and possibly been sued even. The game was delayed for a good 20 minutes, and in that time I can say that we talked about what should be done, while he was being cared for. But in the end, they wouldn't let us push him around on the stretcher, I know because I said I would, and carrying him was much too dangerous. What happened to him is very unfortunate, and I am amazed that after it happened he just laid there and told his coach it was serious. He didn't even act like he was going to cry, he was a tough kid. I do feel bad for how it ended up, but I want everyone to know that it would have been too dangerous for us and for him if we would have carried him. I wish him the best luck in recovering. It wasn't about the run, or making sure he was out, but just making sure that nothing else happened to his knee and he was safe in the end. Naches Ranger Baseball.

Thanks RocketMan911--Even knowing Walker as little as I do, I was having a hard time buying that he wouldn't allow his players to carry this injured player around the field, if it was a viable option. From what I've seen, Bill is a class act and runs an elite, classy program. Best of luck to the guy from Riverview and to Naches going into next Friday.

Thank you Rocketman, I apologize for my previous post. Good luck to you guys, hope to see you playing at 4:00 on Saturday.

Thank you RocketMan911, who I'm very tempted to say is Mr. Brandon Gillespie? I now understand the situation and feel much better, now I may peacefully sleep. I couldn't figure out how Coach Walker or the program could have let this happen, but now I do. I'm sorry for lashing out. I hope you can forgive an old man. Best of Luck.

Like all good drama, there are two sides. I would love to hear what the Riverview side is. High school kids thinking about being sued??? Any RV fans or players willing to share their story?

Has anyone checked with the umpires association or the WIAA (Cindy Adsit) for a clarification on the "OUT" ruling.....for future reference.

Reason being.............after the NCAA reviewed the CWU situation (opponents carrying injured player around the bases after a Home Run - DEAD BALL).....they determined that the NCAA "softball" rules allow for a substitute runner to continue / finish running the bases for the incapacitated player. Could be the same for NFHS baseball rule set as well.

R23

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT