ADVERTISEMENT

Philips dq'd

Losing 12-1 in the third round of the 7th/8th medal match, he momentarily thought he was in a Ultimate Fighting Match. After a punch to the lip and 2 head butts by Phillips (I see no accidental head-butts from my son-the Chewelah wrestler - a biased view undoubtedly, but I really don't see anything on the video), the referee had seen enough and disqualified him for unsportsmanlike conduct. Surely no one believes a wrestler would be disqualified from the state tournament for an accidental headbutt. My son was the wrestler from Chewelah, and he nor I have any hard feelings, my son is happy he won the match and he thinks Philips should have gotten his 8th place medal... view the video below to see for yourself

head buttin

the match was getting out of control befor the head butts happend the ref should have stoped it and talk to both wrestlers! I also think that he should have got his medal it is rediculous that he didn't

thats nice you show the last 7 seconds of the match maybe show the last 15 or 20 seconds to see how it was really played out.

definetly not an accident in my opinion. butted him after ref blew the whistle. Ref was looking right at it, made the right call, no protest from coach or wrestler. Coach made comment to wrestler to "stay by me" as they were leaving the floor.

Whenever a player on a basketball court gets out of hand I blaim the official or the coach, nothing changes here... The ref should of taken controll before it got to this..

That is right blame someone other then the wrestler!!!! No wonder we have so many discipline problems in the schools. I will tell you this and my kids will back it up, I would have ended the match before the second head butt if it was my wrestler. But nothin that can be said will change the outcome or decsion; its unfortunate but that is what happens when you lose self control.

Ok. I have held off comment long enough. I was about as close as you could be to the action between phillips and whitney other than being one of them or the official. Here are my educated comments:
1. Both wrestlers displayed aggression which is 100% gold in my book. Aggressiveness is something I have been trying to coach all season long.

2. Frustration played a huge part in this incident.

3. When two wrestlers tie up aggressively, such as these two state placers did, things occur such as forehead rubbing and grinding, and also things happen that are unintentional such as head butting.

4. Unintentional head butting and head grinding, even though both guys are equallly guilty, lead to tempers flaring.

5. This entire incident, although escalating quickly, could have been prevented on initial fore head rubbing/grinding took place which i honestly believe both were guilty. All it would take is a whistle from the referee and a warning to either both wrestlers or the wrestler he thought was the one at fault... then the coaches could get involved and tell their respective wrestler to cool it.

6. Brent lost his cool when he took an unintentioal head butt to his face.... Whitney unintentionally got Phillips and Phillips lost his cool and had a momentary lapse of judgement. He made a mistake out of anger and to fault and 16 year old young adult who is still trying to learn how to be a man. AND to take his medal away for that was a crime.

7. If you haven't figured it out by now, I am one of brent's coaches. The one mentioned above that was quoted "stay by me". I didn't appeal the referee's decision for one reason... and that was because Brent retaliated and was out of line. I feel horrible for that whole situation. I do not coach bush league stuff, but I do emphasize aggressiveness because 90% of the wrestlers on my team need to be more aggressive. With that being said, I apologize to Whitney and his family for that incident and I know how sorry Brent Phillips is also. He feels horrible and I just wish that it never occurred. BUT there is nothing I can do to change what happened. I did appeal the call off the mat but there was nothing I could have done to change the call because of another incident that happened earlier on the 2A mats that set a precendent for the tournement.

Brent has a heart of gold. He made a mistake and I am not going to reprimand him for his actions. He learned his lesson, trust me. If you have negative comments about Brent or this incident, I would ask you to please keep them to yourself because he is seriously considering not wrestling next year. With that being said, if you have positive comments for this young man, let them be known. He is sorry and I pray that he wrestles next year and turns this whole situation into a positive because he only has one more year of wrestling left then he must go out in the world and become a man.

Thank you wrestling fans, friends, and family.

Very well put....It is unfortunate, but even though they are kids, I feel that they need to be accountable. Hopefully your wrestler will turn out next year and I believe this whole incident will make him a stronger athlete. And you are right, as a coach there is not much you can do, especially in a sport that if you are not aggresive, you are probably not at that tournament. Good luck, and as i saw it, it was a heat of the moment incident and nothing more...

I agree with jt$ I also have holded in plenty of comments toward this situation and also being a wrestling coach from a different team i have seen brent wrestle many times. He is a young talented wrestle that has a good wrestling future. For people and father to come out and display a 7 second video of the match shows perfect reason why we have rules toward parents also in the wiaa. Being a coach from other side of mountains and watching this match from the start of the first round till the end, Clearly both wrestlers wrestled aggressive and both wrestle did do some unsportman like conducts that could have been called which demonstrates both losing there cool in a match. Aggressive in wrestling though is part of the sport and being tough is apart of wrestling and we also teach our kids do do so but not as jt$ says bush league stuff. both kids retaliated that could of been called and to not rewared brent was lame. for the father i do congratulate your son on winning and placing at the tournament he is a young talented wrestle who did work hard and deserved his medal but to come on here and display child like comments of saying he thought he was in a fight is really rude. You stateing your the child father all your doing is not only to your son but to the hard working wrestling team and coach there is creating a bad reputation to them something they dont deserve because of the success there coach has done. To brent i do mean a young talented kid and dont let comments and actions like this affect you because with some advice to you as a stranger if you let things like this affect you good luck in the real world kid because you face things like this almost everyday and showing action that it dont affect you and achieving your goals show people that you are the better person. SURELY HOPE TO SEE YOU AND COMPETE AGAINST YOU NEXT YEAR. keep your head up kid.

Here's a link to youtube so you can all see the match for yourselves. Wasn't gonna post it but all the ignorant comments from people claiming to have watched the match and could see this coming have frustrated me enough that I see value in posting it. My intention of the 7 second clip was to answer the initial thread question. Mr. 2A should watch the video then explain his comments about both wrestlers having unsportsmanlike conduct, both wrestlers losing their cool, and both wrestlers retaliating. I apologize for the quality of the video, my top excuse is I was a very nervous parent rooting on my son at his first State Tournament, and I also blame the lady at the door who wouldn't allow my tripod in. I would also like to reiterate something from my previous post, and that is that neither my son or I have any hard feelings. Here's the link:

1A 171lbs. 7th-8th place match

After watching the video i didn't see anything that provoked the two headbutts. they were definately intentional probably out of frustration of getting his butt kicked in the last match of the year. it was a good call in my opinion

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT