ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Quarterfinals and looking forward.

LittleO74

Nov 1, 2012
Mt. Baker @ Royal: The folks on the Doug Lange podcast for Whatcom County sports seemed to think the Mounties were their best chance to beat Royal. I nearly crashed my car on the freeway from laughing at their delusions of grandeur based on the SCAC not being good. The fact is, one dimensional teams have a very, very, very difficult time beating the Black and Gold. Burkett almost got it done last year because he could run.

LC @ Hoquiam: Zero surprise here given how the rest of the league had performed in the first round. I'm not sure the Grizzlies, even at 100% would've mustered a good enough effort to keep it close. That league on the coast needs to reach out and see how they stack up statewide next year.

Colville @ Meridian: I know Meridian won the first match, I knew Colville would win the second round. Knight and the Indians just seemed to grow after losing to Cheney and Meridian to start 0-2. This gives the feeling of Saturday's meeting with Royal like the real State Championship the way they're both playing.

Newport @ Zillah: Leopards did not have a good barometer for where they stacked up against the rest of the state. They generally get out coached somewhere down the line, that's just in the Zillah DNA. Newport had already seen a way better version of ground and pound in Colville earlier in the season.

What was the score of the baker royal game when they lost the starting qb, cornerback, back up corner back and defenisde lineman? Had they been healthy through the whole game, in my opinion, Baker was the best chance to beat Royal. Kudos to Royal they are a great team!

It was 13-0 to start the 2nd Qtr when the QB got hurt. 1st qtr yardage was Royal 136- MB 12. MB got a 43 td pass in the 2nd, for the half they had 58 yards. It was too bad that he got hurt but I don’t think it would have made much difference in the outcome.

I actually thought the backup QB threw the ball better. Depth is really an issue especially at the small schools. It's tough to cover Royal with a full slate, let alone backups in the secondary, which I assume also played some offense.

ADVERTISEMENT