ADVERTISEMENT

Prairie secures regional berth

HockSports

Jun 5, 2007
Praire secures regional berth with 56-39 win over Lakes.

According to Paul Valencia, Nicole Goecke (3A GSHL player of the year) finished with 21 points, 13 rebounds, 6 steals.

Well we don't have a guaranteed Tacoma Dome appearance, but with all that has happened and where the team is at right now in terms of youth and skill.... I can say I'm proud of the Falcons for at least making it to the Final 16!

Great job Falcons!

I went to the game last night. Prairie jumped out to a an 11-2 lead and the next thing you know they were down by two. Game was close a the half. Prairie jumped out to a another big lead and let them back in again. Goecke was the spark all night long for the Falcons. One thing, if they don't hit a bunch of outside shots they are in trouble as they just don't seem to score much at all from the inside. I sure would like to see them make it to the Tacoma Dome this year.

In deed a rough night offensively in the paint. The 6' sophomore is playing more all the time. If she continues her progress in the off season and return in the fall as a force, there is potential. Dougherty had a good night on both ends of the floor along with Goecke. The other 3 shooters had a bit of an off night but they have the confidence to strike at any time. The Falcons are deceiving in that teams must be prepared to defend 4-5 perimeter shooters at once. That burns a lot of energy. Lakes was fatigued. The perimeter speed and conditioning of the Falcons is ultimately their edge. Hopefully they stay sharp and ride the edge to the dome.

Statewide, I have two teams fighting for the dome this year, so my chances are a bit up! Hockinson boys already clinched their spot in regionals and face Mark Morris for the top seed out of districts tomorrow night. They split the season matchups so this will be a nice tiebreaker!

Prairie's next opponent is going to be a lot tougher than Lakes.

Lincoln is very athletic/fast from what I have read. Their leading scorer is a 6'2 sophomore so Prairie's post-defense will definitely be tested. They have a speedy little sophomore point guard (5'5) as their second leading scorer. It will be interesting to see how Prairie reacts as the caliber of their opponent rises.

Interesting enough, though, the team Prairie just beat (Lakes) handled Lincoln earlier this season 54-41. I know these things can be misleading because teams have bad games, injuries, or bad matchups. But regardless, I think Lincoln is going to be much tougher.
This post was edited on 2/20 11:12 AM by HockSports

If you go to the Hockinson vs Mark Morris game, let me know how the crowd demeanor was and I am referring to Mark Morris. I went to the Mark Morris vs River Ridge game Monday night at Kelso. I was blown away by the poor sportsmanship of the MM crowd and I am not talking students but rather a very vocal group of adults. I don't think they have ever read or considered the WIAA "Just Play Fair" rules and regulations. These adults were all over the opposing team and going after individual players.

I have been watching high school games for a very long time and I have seen some bad sportsmanship in the stands but there was just a mean vicious vibe coming from these fans. But wow do they have a heck of a girls ball team and they are going to be a handful for anyone that faces them. Next up is WF West. Regardless of my relatives in Longview, I am now pulling for anybody but MM.

This post was edited on 2/20 12:29 PM by statewide

yeah, gonna be a lot tougher game than this Lakes game. Before Prairie I watched Lincoln Boys take it to Columbia River. Just like Foss last year, they poured in on in the second half. Lincoln subbed in a lot of players and by the end of the 3rd, Columbia River was just plain exhausted. And just like last year, they now have a much longer road to the Tacoma Dome.

That's Longview for ya! MM has some perfectly good fans but they have a larger share of bad ones than most. RA Long is worse though in my opinion.

I remember several years ago when MM first joined the league there were a few altercations at MM between Hock-MM students, but there was a shouting match outside after one of the MM parents didn't like a foul Hockinson committed. This was after MM won, too... The Hockinson parents had sweatshirts with their son's name/# on there, so the MM parents jumped on that.

Both MM and Hockinson's student sections get a little rowdy too. Sorry if this is biased but Hockinson's student section is probably the best I've seen all season for basketball, any classification (in Clark County).

Should be a good game, hopefully both sides will be rowdy but not TOO rowdy.

I am fine with enthusiastic fans especially the student fans. My problem is with out of control "adults"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT