ADVERTISEMENT

Royal vs. Connell Game Preview and Webcast Info

OldGrenadier

Sep 11, 2003
Royal will finally have their home and league opener in week 3. They will host the Connell Eagles, who return most of what they had from last year’s young team. Both teams are 2-0 with blowout wins in each contest. Both are full of “skill” players and will rely on their offensive lines to step up to the occasion. Both have defenses that create a lot of turnovers and have offenses that know what to do with them. The winner definitely has the inside track to the SCAC-East championship.

Here is what some football analysts in-the-know are saying about tonight’s contest:

Connell vs Royal. Both teams have shown great defense and offense against good opponents. I have seen both teams play and this should be a close game. I think Royal has the advantage with home field, but this could go either way. Here is what I can say:
Connell has 3 different running backs that are averaging ~5-8 yds a carry and at least 3 different receivers making tough catches. They have both speed and size but look a little thin on the line, but their heart makes up double their size.
Royal QB is 3rd year starter and likes to choose from any one of his 4-receivers for 8+ yds, including the running back that doubles as a receiver.. They are very well disciplined and everyone one fly's to the ball. The line does a good job stopping the run and getting to the QB. (WashingtonPreps.com blog post by Washington_sports)

Opening night of SCAC East play has a doozy. Connell, ranked fourth in the state in Class 1A, will visit No. 1 Royal (kickoff is at 7 p.m.).Royal quarterback Kaden Jenks and Joe Lang, a standout on both sides of the ball, lead the Knights. Meanwhile, Brian Hawkins has been money for the Eagles at quarterback. He threw four TD passes last week in a 45-7 rout at Cashmere. (Tri-City Herald)

The home town Royal Knights (2-0) are off to a hot start, and anytime the Connell Eagles (2-0) come to town, things tend to get a little rough. Junior QB Kaden Jenks has the Knights at #1 in the state right now, but the Eagles come in ranked #5 looking for the upset. This game could very well decide the SCAC East Champion when all is said and done. (Ryland Spencer, Northwest Elite Index, www.northwesteliteindex.com )

If you will be at the game, remember it is the “Black Out” game, so dress in black. If you can't make it to the game in person, join us and LISTEN LIVE at http://royalknightsfootball.com/webcast Kickoff is at 7pm. Broadcast will begin around 6:45.

Tough game and narrow 27-20 win for the Knights. A good game for learning and fine-tuning. I imagine both teams feel like they were just a few plays away from winning by several touchdowns. After trailing 19-10 at the half, Connell scored 10 unanswered to take the late 20-19 lead. Royal stormed back to score and convert the 2-point attempt to recapture the lead at 27-20. Kaden Jenks sealed the victory by intercepting a double-pass and Joe Lang helped run out the clock with some tough running.

For those that missed this game, it was back and forth all night and points coming on only a few simple breakdowns of the defenses. Both teams came out hitting hard, players were if full stride expecting a win and the coaches were not holding back. Play calling was what I would expect from these two coaches (trick plays from the get go), We saw everything a play book could encompass. in just week 3, I lost count of how many offensive sets were shown, Power back, I formation, empty backfield, single wide, double wide, twin receivers, double twins, trips, and one play came out with a quad set of receivers on one side. Defense was no different, 3-5 front, 4-4 front, 5-3 front. Most coaches are excited to work in half of these by the end of the season. Kudos on both sides of the ball. I knew that both QB's were returning Jr. but it was surprising to see how young Connell was (according to the program). By the looks of it, these 2 teams may not see each other until quarter or semi finals if they both make it that far. (My guess is they will by the play making kids each team has).

ADVERTISEMENT