ADVERTISEMENT

Preseason look at 1A

Washington_sports

Sep 23, 2013
The News Tribune used the coaches to rank the 2018 preseason top teams. Lets discuss what you think and tell us if there are any sleepers in the pack.

CLASS 1A

1. Royal – Royal currently has a 41 game winning streak and the Sr. QB Jenks will be firing at some new targets this year. Lots of talent and some 20 Seniors on the roster this year. First game against Ellensburg (Seattle times #10 in 2A)

2. Connell – Connell is returning a lot of key players and still nipping on the heals of the knights. Will Connell break Royal’s winning streak again as they did in 2006? First game against 2A powerhouse Othello.

3. Montesano – Monte was put out last year by a stacked Meridian team. Not sure what is coming back from last year. First game will be a test against Lynden. (Seattle times #4 in 2A)

4. Cascade Christian – CC always comes flying back, Jr. QB Johnson is looking to make a statement this year and he has a lot of returning receivers. Teams will need to find a way to stop this passing attack.

5. Zillah – Powerhouse on the west side of the SCAC, Zillah always finds a way to rebuild. This year should be no different returning some key ball handlers and their defense will be strong. First Game against 2A East Valley

6. Meridian – The loss of several key seniors will make meridian look to several seniors this year that have plenty of experience from last year.

7. Okanogan – Somewhat surprised on this young team. They did really well in 2b, but haven’t pushed the 1A group. CTL has struggled the past few years, maybe this is their year.

8. Colville – NEA has produced a number of good teams in recent past. This year will be no different.

9. Mount Baker – MB is no stranger to the playoffs and I’m sure that the run game will come out hitting hard.

10. La Center – If I remember correctly, this team was sr. loaded last year. Will be interesting to see if they can rebuild and live up to this preseason ranking.

Other notables: Hoquiam, King’s, Cashmere, Newport, Chelan

Colville will finish higher than 8th I think. They play Meridian next week so that will be a good test for both.

ADVERTISEMENT