ADVERTISEMENT

SCAC West. Boom.

Linebacker_65

May 16, 2006
Imma do it. Gonna get this thing started. We're what? 2 weeks away from the start of the season? Exciting times my friends. I don't know when anyone is actually gonna see this, but I have no problem waiting haha.

So, how do you all thing the SCAC West is gonna pan out this year? Who finishes where? I'll get us started and tell me what ya think and give me your own thoughts. Here goes:

1. Zillah: Zillah is the easy favorite to start the season. They bring back 3 big names in Mangarelli, Widner and the leagues best player Kurt Calhoun. To add another feather to their cap they are the defending league champs. For me that's enough. I've always been a "You've got to beat the guy to be the guy" and Zillah did just that last year when they knocked off Cle Elum in overtime.

2. Cle Elum: Opposite of Zillah, The Warriors are going to be heading into this season without 3 of their top weapons from a year ago in Kretschman, Millsap and Gall. However Cle Elum had a young line a year ago and returns 4 out of 5 starters and an athlete in Brennan Burchack that accounted for just under 1000 total yds and 20 tds.

3. Naches: Naches is known more for its Varsity Baseball and Basketball teams, and for good reason. Naches is returning several contributing athletes from a year ago who were part of a 3rd place finish, most prominently QB Corey Hill who lead the league in passing yards a year ago and set a new school record for yards.

4. Goldendale: Goldendale loses some very key players, most importantly QB Lucas Denny who was the leagues 2nd leading passer in terms of yards. Denny was also the team's leading rusher. That is a lot of production that is going to be hard to replace, but I think that Goldendale has enough returning to warrant a 4th place finish over Granger.

5. Granger: The Spartans are in a tough spot losing both of their top offensive weapons from a year ago. But as we've seen before, it is a plug and play offense where you can lose your leading rusher from a year before and have a guy step up and right in. Getting a little more Greek-ish on ya, the offense is very Hydra like. 2 years ago it was Caleb Resendez. Last year it was Trevor Heitzman. Who will it be this year? Regardless of who it is, I feel like they will be on the outside looking in come the end of the season.

6. La Salle: La Salle had a rough go of it last year. It is another one of those situations where I can't really see any light at the end of the tunnel in terms of up turn for this team which has struggled since making the move up to the 1A level.

7. Highland: Highland finished oh-fer last year and don't expect too much of a change. They may win 1 or 2 next year but expect them to be cellar dwellers again.

8. Mabton: Not really sure if they are actually still around or not to tell you the truth. But regardless, they will finish last.

This post was edited on 8/7 5:36 PM by Linebacker_65

I noticed Zillah had a number of kids on the All State list. How do you think they will stack up against statewide competition?

Zillah pretty routinely has some pretty damn good athletes. Their top guys in Calhoun, Widner and Mengarelli are right up there with the best of em. What is gonna get Zillah ia their depth, I just don't know what they got down in the sophomore ranks. Typical of small schools sophomore are pretty often called upon to fill some key reserve or starting spots.

I hear you there. Perfect example was CC last year. Cashmere handed them a 39-0 spanking which could have been worse. Monte, came in with a bunch of Sr's but none of them except the QB were starters from the year before. They pulled it together nicely in the end. The depth thing is a big deal in small school ball. Especially if the injury bug bites.

ADVERTISEMENT