ADVERTISEMENT

Sedro-Woolley coach.......

Warrant3

Dec 15, 2006
...I'm hearing Dave Ward to Sedro-Woolley. If so, an excellent pickup for the Cubs.

I guess I would classify it as interesting. At 58, and with the way things ended at Oak and ATM.

There's no denying the guy can coach. His record speaks for itself. I'm sure he would be the first to admit he's made mistakes. On the other hand, seriously man, ATM is looking more and more like a circus.
Maybe you'd like to share what your specific issue is with Ward???

He's an ego maniac that is only as good a coach as his assistants. We will see how good of a coach he is at another public school where he can't recruit and not in the building. At OH his success didn't happen till later in the career and even according to him was pushed out so as the guy there now could be given the job. If you are such a great coach why would you be pushed out at not one but two different jobs?? From what I have heard he was not well liked or respected by other coaches in either league. Not thinking this is the best hire if goes through for Sedro. Should be interesting if ATM and Sedro end up having to play now that they will be moving down classifications.

It will be interesting as SW moves down into the 2A. SW has struggled in 3A, and with Lynden, BE, and Anacortes (of late), it will be interesting how they will do. With Baker and Blaine moving down to 1A, maybe SW will have some success.

I would agree with atmfbfan, who makes a great point - despite on the field success, why was he forced out of his two jobs? Some coaches do have egos that border out of control, and not all coaches are liked (or respected) by their peers. I'm sure the Sedro AD knows all about it>

It's just comes down to what this AD wants. Age alone, Ward isn't a long term solution. There is never a given that he will get the amount of wins, as his coaching style is driven by two things: DNA and good assistants. (not that either isn't available in Sedro) Plus, the guy is, to be polite, abrasive. You weigh those things and figure out what is most important.

If you are going to base a hire solely for on field success, which is never a guarantee, then, at best, you have to hire again in 5 years when he retires or 2 years if the wins aren't there and he flames out.

LOL. OK, Ward has a big ego. "DNA and good asistants," sounds like a pretty good championship formula to me. It goes both ways guys. I've heard some pretty unflattering things about the ATM community in recent weeks.
ATM has had a history of success in football. A history that began long before Coach Ward arrived, and may well continue after his departure. Ward has also had a history of success on the football field. Will it continue.......?????

Don't get me wrong. ATM is not without scrutiny. Any time you have a "committee" run out a head coach after they ran out the AD...let's just say that something is...askew. Sounds like too many chefs in the kitchen, and that just makes the food taste like {poop}.

DNA and good assistants is a recipe for success, to continue the theme. To have both provide successful seasons year after year. To have the former without the latter results in varying win totals from one year to the next (i.e. 3-7 followed by 7-3). ((Cough.Lakewood.Cough))

Without recruiting, without being a teacher on campus, and without a "welcoming" personality to attract a quality staff in April, this would provide a very clear picture of what Ward brings to the table.

As a Football fan and a Catholic, I'm hopeful ATM will continue its history of excellence on the football field. As a football fan, I'm hoping to see Sedro-Woolley continue their short term success.
I have heard that Coach Ward may be teaching and coaching. If that's the case, he would be giving up his retirement for now. It also sounds like a guy who is determined to prove himself amid much criticism.

I haven't heard any verification on a hire, but if true I think Ward will be inheriting a better than normal group of kids at SWHS. They have had two consecutive real competitive group of freshmen enter. So, they will be Sophs & Juniors this year. Could be a real contender in a couple of years. I for one welcome a strong SW program. They've always had competitive youth programs, but for whatever reason don't pan out in high school. Lack of consistency in coaching could be one reason, so if it is Ward I hope it's not a short term deal. I also am pleased to see they are finally 2A. They've had to include Job Corp students in their enrollement figures in the past and not one has ever participated in athletics.

Like fbsno said ATM is nowhere clean in this whole situation I am guessing there is dirt to be uncovered on both sides. But in the end if they are willing to sweep under the rug than if they really wanted Ward they would have swept it under for him.

I have talked to a couple of people that say they knew the situation in OH and what they say his staff was ready to leave the year after the state title that doesn't seem to be like a healthy situation and Ward has just blamed this on members of the staff trying to get him fired. I've been told he doesn't like others getting credit whether that's Schmidt or Turner and when they begin to be bigger than him or perceived to be he begins to try and cut them at the knees. Not to mention the nepotism of hiring his sons on his staff. If this is this is true and who Sedro want than it might be a couple of long years in the Woolley.

So the story is in the Skagit Valley newspaper. Nice writeup.

Ward is a candidate.
Interviewed 3/26 for football and 3/30 for part time English teaching spot.
From his research, Ward says it would be a nice fit for him.
The school board meets Monday to discuss new hires.

Why is this story printed now? Who initiated the story - did they call Ward or vice versa? Why not have all of this happy stuff in the article WHEN HE ACTUALLY IS NAMED THE COACH?
This post was edited on 4/6 10:35 AM by fbsnoho

Ward a candidate

LOL knowing Dave even going back to his days at Oak I will guarantee this is him contacting his guys at the papers and leaking the info. His "legacy" is very important to him and being "let go" by ATM is eating him up and wants to make himself come out looking clean out of this. My guess is you will be seeing certain family members coaching with him on the sideline if he gets the job just like in OH and this last year at ATM. Will be interesting...

I'll take some of that action....your guarantee that is. LOL, you guys didn't want the man, yet seem almost infatuated with him. He's got the job.

Infatuated? More like shaking my head. Being around the coaching circles for some time, there are cases that stand out because of the controversies that follow some coaches. Don't care who gets Sedro. Don't care who gets (got) ATM. I am a Bruin guy myself, although recent history has beaten down my pride. And I'm not sold on their new hire, but I can give him a break and see what he does. At least they didn't hire a retread (cough.Abrams.cough) like Monroe did last year.

The fact that this article comes out 4 days before the hire is announced is curious. I wonder if anyone from Sedro Woolley High School (or district) knew anything about this story until it was posted. I guess the AD would be in a pickle if he actually didn't select Ward after the news carries this "Top Story" that Ward is a candidate. Of course, we all know ADs don't want any grief, so I agree that the job is Ward's.

I will stick by with my earlier assertion that either he retires of age in 5 years or they have to hire in 2 if the wins aren't there and his personality leads him to exit like only he does - divided staff, accusations, and finger pointing.

Sit down with anyone who has coached with the guy. If it's one coach listing the negative things about him, you take it with a grain of salt - maybe even two or three guys. Maybe they have a bone to pick. But there is an significant majority that assert that Ward drives staff and programs apart.

Two similar situation that got messy and public. One constant.

I am a former assistant coach of over 20 years. I worked with some staffs in King and Snohomish counties. I left coaching in 2006 because my business forced me to travel. You get to know people within your league and classification through the years. Many of whom I still call good friends today.

You learn about coaches who make it difficult to figure out why they are coaching. Everyone has an ego to some extent, but the ones who let it drive their purpose are the ones that have these issues that we as "message boarders" talk about.

I appreciate your well written posts. I too worked for several years as an assistant coach in Hoops and BB in Whatcom County. I'm going to respectfully disagree with your comment about "egos' as related to coaches. There are those that would say Curt Kramme of Lynden HS has a large ego. Kramme has had tremendous success. There are many other coaches with super sized egos that are successful.

If Sedro-Wooley has 5 years of winning football under Dave Ward, they'll feel like they won the lottery. I get it that some people don't like the guy, but his record speaks for itself. He can coach!

I am sure you already have heard you seem to know all that is going on in the North I5 corridor. But have heard that Ward has hired from out of building and mostly from his OH days, youth coach, former player and at least one son.

Just reinforces my Ward/SW prediction. If he is reaching for the familiar, expect the familiar. And his wins are talent-dependent, so that is not what I am describing.
This post was edited on 5/2 11:49 PM by fbsnoho

lol. So there's something wrong with hiring a former player and your son?? Man you guys are really reaching. "Expect the familiar?" You mean the 4 trips to the semi-finals in the last 4 years. "....his wins are talent laden?" I've got news...every coach needs some talent to be successful. Have a good day obsessing about Dave Ward.

Not sure if you are calling Warrant Dave, but I can tell you that he isn't Dave Ward. ATM has had a lot of success winning with Ward, just not the championship, although I am not sure how much closer than this past season a team can get without actually winning it.

Tongue-in-cheek prod. I know he isn't Dave, but he sounds like he could be Dave (or Dave's agent).

This is getting old. What are some's obsession with Ward? Obviously he rubbed some at ATM wrong, but everything I've heard that was a two way street. So much so that I know from someone in the know that his tenure there was basically a non-factor in the decision to hire at SW.

Coaching at Sedro-Woolley is going to provide plenty of challenges for Dave Ward. They have some players, but they will be tested early. They play Lynden at Lynden early in the season. I expect them to get a whoopin' in that game, the same way most other teams in the NWC will get beat against the Lions. I hope he does well, and I hope ATM is successful with their new coach.
This post was edited on 5/6 8:19 PM by Warrant3

I don't know the whens or wheres, but I do know that B-E will be playing Mt. Vernon, Ferndale & Meridian as their "non league" games. I would have preferred one of them be a home/home with another conference, but a good group to better themselves against. Mt Vernon is a no brainer as they'll always play, Ferndale a good test against a perrenial 3A qualifier & Meridian an above average 1A team. I've heard they will open against Meridian, but don't know that for sure.

I heard BE opens against Meridian as well. I consider Meridian one of the best 1A programs in the State.

Schedules should be out pretty soon I think, if not already. I just can't find them anywhere yet.

ADVERTISEMENT