ADVERTISEMENT

This new state format is.....

DjPhilweezy

Dec 8, 2006
HORRIBLE! Out of the 8 teams that go to "state" only 6 get trophies? Unbelievable! The regional format I can deal with but as long as it goes back to the 16-team format and 8 placers then its all good but you got to be kidding me with this new format! Its already bad enough that nearly 1,500 student athletes are missing out in competing at state due to the only 8 make it to the dome but limiting the "top 8" teams to only 6 trophies is ridiculous!

EDIT: oh and I personally think that its easier to win a state title then ever before. Why win 4 in a row when you can win 3.
This post was edited on 3/3 1:30 PM by DjPhilweezy

Like I said on another topic about this... try being a ballplayer in California. You only get to play at a nice "dome" aka the Anaheim Arena if you get to the semifinals. And 1st and 2nd place trophies are the only ones given out. Single-elimination the whole way.

We have it good.

Let that be California. I am guessing with the amount of population and land difference, they would have to do that way. Washington is much smaller state, so much easier to get to Yakima from all points.

I haven't checked but how big is the Anaheim Arena? Bigger than the Sun Dome?

BTW, I am not sure which way I like it. Either way it has been done, the NWC has been really good in the 2A tournament. 1/2 of the champions in the 14 yrs since realigning have come from the NWC. Blaine - 2x, Squally - 2x, NV - 1x, and Lynden - 1x, and LC - 1x. Throw in BE with 3 runner ups, LC, Squally, Blaine with 1 each.... that is been a great run in the 2A's.
This post was edited on 3/3 3:35 PM by Smallpox

What I'm saying is we need not complain. We have it good.

You guys need to quit the whining about the eight team at state thing, because it's not like the WIAA is doing it just to piss everybody off like they enjoy doing that. They are doing it because right now, the economy is in the toilet enough to where we are lucky to have any tournament at all.

Quit the complaining, be thankful there are even trophies to be given out to deserving athletes.

I understand the gripe about the 6 trophies, though, like I said. Seems rather random.

I don't like the 8 team format, but I disagree with some of your other points. Even in the old 16 team format, if you lose your first 2 games you don't trophy. I don't understand your complaint?? Frankly, if you believe it's easier to win the State Championship now, you're not paying attention. The winner still has to win 4 in a row, beginning with a loser out Regional game.

I don't believe I have complained either way about it. There is always going to be an outcry to change, but I don't think that is bad either. I do think that there is some legitimate complaints to the new formats. Having said that, it again worked quite nicely for Lynden and LC!!!!!

I still don't understand comparing to CA. Different state, different population, etc. Apples and oranges to me. Just b/c they give less trophies has nothing to do with the general complaint I have heard, and that is going back to the way it was - 16 teams - 8 trophies - 2 more than this year.

Comparing it to California is because they only play in a dome type atmosphere when they get to the semifinals. Washington, a much smaller state, plays in the Tacoma/Sun Dome when they get it down to 8. It's a very good comparison because California is a larger state, so theoretically with more amount of teams, the Dome setting tournament should be larger. Yet Washington had four times that many teams in the Dome and previous years and now has two times as much still.

That's all I have got to say.

Again, though, I hear everyone on the 6 trophy part

As one who's had the privilege of having a son play in multiple state tourneys, I don't think it's really the trophies that matter down the road. My son doesn't even know (or care)where his champion shirts, rings, hats or trophies are at. It's the memories of team, triumph and overcoming. The boxes of trophies my son earned actually mean very little to him (or us). Seeing the state title trophy in the case at school is nice from time to time, but it continues to mean less and less. Enjoy the opportunity and the camaraderie.

People will move on and kids will grow up. Most of them anyway...

-passion8

Hock, your comparing Wahington to California is like comparing a block of cheese to a Chevy stationwagon. Makes no sense.

Like I said, who cares what California does. Comparing how many trophies they hand out in whatever gym/dome/stadium means nothing to any of us here in Washington. As far as I am concerned California is a different state, so they do it their way. In Washington they choose to do it a different way.

Okay, compare Washington to Oregon. I believe Oregon went to a similar format several years before Washington. The bottom line is that high school sports just does not bring in the fans like it used to especially where the majority of the population is and where you would expect attendance to be higher.

At the smaller communities, the attendance is still pretty good as town life revolves around the school and the church. It would be nice if the WIAA would recognize this fact and make changes only where needed. The 3A and 4A needed these changes. I am not sure that 2A and smaller really did. It does not have to be the same format for all levels. If the tournament in Yakima and the one in Spokane can support the old format, let's head that direction again.
This post was edited on 3/12 2:57 PM by statewide

You hit the nail on the head "statewide." They complicated the problem with a "one size fits all" solution. Many years ago, we had a format where the smaller schools (B, 1A) played their 16 team tournament, while the larger schools used a regional format. It worked fine as far as I know.

I was really disappointed in the crowds at the 3A/4A tournament. There were some games with huge crowds which was great to see. Davis HS had a great showing and a nice size crowd but there were too many games that didn't quite match up to their showing. On the girls side, the crowds were small and even for the school i support, Prairie, which won the state championship, they were no better. I have been following that school for a long time and I can't ever remember a smaller crowd for the finals.

I really do think that the rise in gas pricing didn't help. It is almost like a psychological barrier that makes people stay home even though the trip would only have cost a few dollars more.

ADVERTISEMENT