ADVERTISEMENT

Thompson 140 lbs State Champ!!

neversaydie22

Mar 1, 2005
Once upon a time way back when to earlier this year there was much controversy over who would win in a match between John Thompson and Sam Villegas. With Royal spending nearly every waking hour on this message board, of course Villegas was heavily favored. Thompson who? Where's he from? After they wrestled at Tri-State Thompson had come away a winner 3-2. That still didn't put the controversy to rest. Well folks it's all over. Obviously I'm not trying to rag on Villegas because he's a very good wrestler who practically teched his way to the finals. However, Thompson DOMINATED the match at state and won 8-2. He's the champ, and he's got huge balls! Atta boy John, you deserved it.

I must admit, I expected a different outcome in this match. Villegas does not seem to be a state finals wrestler in my opinion, however, I have to give all credit to Thompson. He wrestled with heart and determination. After his victory he celebrated like a champion by shaking his opponents hand and showing a lot of humility. Congratulations.

It was actually a 3-2 match taking away 1 head and arm move.....
But yes, Thompson stymied Villegas.

Quote: "Villegas does not seem to be a state finals wrestler in my opinion, however, I have to give all credit to Thompson."

Yes, we do need to give credit to Thompson for his impressive win over Villegas and his overall performance at State, but I'm puzzled at your judgement of Villegas as "not a state finals wrestler".

He is only a Sophomore, having been in the 1A state FINALS match in each of his first two years of HS....do you suggest that he made the finals by luck....or accident? I would certainly testify that ANY Sophomore who made the state finals two consecutive years would be worthy as being called a state finals wrestler. Just curious as to what you do consider Villegas, then.

As Luvene said, if it weren't for the head & arm for five, the match would have appeared much closer on paper. I take nothing, however, from Thompson's accomplishment. He did appear to dictate the tempo of the match, and head & arm or not, won legitimately. Congrats to Mr. Thompson on his well-earned title.

Cucumber, i'm sorry if you misunderstood my statement. I very strongly believe Villegas is an incredible wrestler, who made the state finals because of his raw talent and work ethic. No luck involved. I do not feel he is a state finals wrestler, thus far, because I believe he has lost the last two finals matches to wrestlers whom i believe him to be better than. Villegas was, in my opinion, a better wrestler than John Thompson. Everyone knows he was much better than Brett Stigall. He dominated everyone on his way to the finals both years, only to lose to wrestlers whom i believe him to be better than. This is why I feel he is not a state finals wrestler. I do believe he will prove me wrong each of the next two seasons. 2-2-1-1, trust me.

Gotcha; again, I read your post too literally.....for linguistical clarity, I now understand that you meant that you feel he is not a state finals "champion" wrestler.

I completely agree with your take on the match with Stigall. Sam was clearly a better technical wrestler, but Stigall rose to the occasion in the finals. No excuses, but IMHO Villegas was still far from 100% in that match as he was still recovering from the fracture in his elbow. It really showed up in his semi vs Billy Monroe of Tonasket.

I can't really comment on whether I feel he's better than Thompson or not, as I haven't had the luxury of watching him wrestle much at all. At state this year, he definitely had the answer for all that was thrown at him....even by Sam. Villegas, I would venture, could be gameplanned, as he doesn't overwhelm people with 20 different attacks. He is, however, and incredibly talented kid with great balance, strength, and a tenacious deliberate nature. He'll continue to shine....and will have his state title one day.

Too bad you can't be like me, where my predictions are always right and I'm never proved wrong! (NOW THAT WAS SARCASTIC)

Just to throw this out there, if Thompson weren't so far ahead, he wouldn't have given up the takedown at the end like he did, so if you take away the head and arm and the takedown, its 3-0. The takedown meant nothing to Thompson so he could afford to give it up. Villegas is good no doubt about it, but since Thompson beat him twice this year, wouldn't that make him the better wrestler?

correct me if im wrong but didnt villegas lose both this year and last year finals due to one mistake he made in both matches that cost him. I do agree also he is only a sophmore and to be in the finals both years is a huge achievement the can bet on him being a two timer still. Ive seen juniors and seniors lose in the finals to freshman and sophmores in the finals before and this is after being already a state champion. plenty of warden kids have done so to others before many of times. Just curious though to the person who said this did you wrestle and if so did you ever expierence the pressure and the rush of even being in a state finals match or in a finals match in any tourney. Not talking smack or anything toward you but being in the finals especially as a freshman or sophmore is different then just wrestling any other ordinary match. nothing away from thompson either he did earn his title and deserves it congrats. Also you cant go back and say if you take this away he wouldnt of gave up the take down or if he did this cuz in the situation and at the moment of time is a different offensive and deffensive thought in your mind.
This post was edited on 3/12 6:17 AM by Mr. 2Aif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

do you want to know if i've ever experienced the pressure and rush of a state finals match?

Well Mr. 2A since we were playing the "what if" game by saying if it weren't for the head and arm it would have been a whole different match, I decided to talk about the takedown. By the way Thompson is also a sophomore, who also made it to the state finals as a freshmen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT