May 13, 2005
hello, my son is about to start wrestling and I am
looking for info on a type of head gear that I saw
a couple of High School teams have. I think they were
Republic and also Wilbur. I have looked and I know
it's not Asic,Brutte, Cliff Keen or Matman. Does anyone
know what the manufacturer might be? It has a
front forhead pad and I noticed that it never moved
around like alot of other styles. Thank You!

You are thinking of the "GLADIATOR" headgear by MORGAN. They are manufactured by Suplay and are sold there. You can either order online at www.suplay.com or call them at 800-634-4874. They offer an incredible selection of shell and strap colors for literally every club/program, and yes, you are correct that they do not come off during competition. They are arguably the best overall headgear on the market. They don't look all that stylish, but if your priorities lie in securely fastened headgear and overall ear/forehead protection, these are the headgear for you. They are $29.99, and shipping online runs about $5 if that's all you order. The only downside is that by being a state resident purchaser, you will be nailed with sales tax. When it's all said and done, you're looking at around $38, but it is well worth the investment.

We (Republic) use this headgear exclusively in our Jr High and HS program, which is paramount with our standard of proper head position wrestling. This headgear, although barbaric in appearance, provides optimal forehead protection against accidental butts for not only the wearer, but the opposing wrestler as well.

One suggestion, however: Unless your son is VERY small, I would highly recommend ordering the adult size for him. The adult sizes can be adjusted down quite small, while the small sizes he'll outgrow in no time. At worst, you may need to cut down the excess tails of the straps, or else tuck them inside when pulled tight. When my son was 10 (and 65 pounds) he started wearing them (adult size), and the only set we've had to replace are the ones he lost!

They may take a few days for him to get used to, but once he gets the hang of adorning them, you'll never regret getting them. Good luck, and NO, I don't work for Suplay!

SUPLAY website

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT