ADVERTISEMENT

Vandersloot's Zags reach Elite 8!

wasports

Jan 7, 2011
The battle for the best from the northwest continues as the Zags send Shimmel and the Cards home after a late come back attempt by Shimmel falters. The Zags shined from the line in the last two minutes to seal the deal by 6.
Tennesee's Angie Bjorkland remains as the only other northwest product in the tournament by beating OSU today 85-75.

wish Bjorkland had stayed local although I am not sure she really could have made Gonzaga much better this year than they are.

Yah, what could Tenn's all time leading three point shooter, a 6' guard whose a pretty good SF defender on a three-four guard change up line add.... statewide, I love you man but…. Seriously…

I wish her and Shoni Schimmel and Ashley Corral had stayed local. GU with them despite the remaining size discrepancy would have a much better chance talent wise against the UConn, Tenn and Stanfords... Schimmel is going to be on heck of a player. How would you guard the three guard set of Vandersloot, Bjorkland and Schimmel? Of course GU keeps doing what they're doing and maybe they'll be enough of a draw to keep some more of the NW talent home. Da Dub and my Lady Cougs kind of suck and that’s 100% the truth, well except for the “kind of” part.

BTW, good luck to GU tonight. Stanford's bigger, stronger, faster... but you play once, it's in Spokane and sometimes funny things happen in March. Standish and Bowman play big, play strong but don’t get into foul trouble. Give it all you got girls, play loose'n free and have fun out there and the scoreboard will take care of itself!

Bjorklund is a great player but just adding her to the Gonzaga team does not automatically make them a better team. You can only play five at a time and I would say they have all the pieces they need to go as far as they are going to go. In other words I don't think with or without Bjorklund, they are getting past UCONN.

While not teammates, one thing Vandersloot and Bjorklund have in common, other than unusual last names, neither could get their team past Lewis & Clark. Lately, very few have.
This post was edited on 3/28 4:47 PM by statewide

Well the Zags could have used Bjorklund last night... man that was some cold shooting in the second half. They had their shots but just didn't knock them down.

I think anytime you can get another scorer on the floor it helps and having Vandersloot, Standish and Bjorklund on the floor would help open each other up. Now, no Bjorklund wouldn't be enough to get UConn but they would 'maybe' have been closer to Stanford. Now, if Stanford plays the way they did last night they may just get by UConn again. Same with Notre Dame. I'd not be totally shocked to see those two in the Finals instead of UConn and Baylor.

Of course I've got mixed emotions about Baylor and Griner so I'm really pulling for them to lose. On the one hand it wouldn't be fair to Griner for her to have to try and compete with the men but on the other is it really fair to women to have to compete with Griner. Now I'm speculating she's a Caster Semenya type case but I'd be surprised if she wasn't transgender, AIS or Klinefelter syndrome or something similar. Not being mean or bigoted, just looking at her skeletal structure.

Tenn could have used Bjorklund the night before against Notre Dame. Not a great way to end your career at Tenn.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT