ADVERTISEMENT

Wesco playoffs

Lucas99

Jun 2, 2005
Wesco playoffs begin with four games at 1:00 Saturday in a double elimination format.

Mountlake Terrace at Monroe
Snohomish at Kamiak
Edmonds-Woodway at Cascade
Marysville-Pilchuck at Jackson

The Marysville-Pilchuck Tomahawks should get a special "never give up" award. In mid-season they were 1-8 in league play. They then proceeded to knock out seven consecutive wins to get the #4 Wesco North seed. That's the good news. The bad news is they get to play Jackson in the first round. However it turns out for the Tommies, they showed what "heart" is all about.

MP should get a special commendation for fortitude and tenacity. As should OH for that matter. They both battled to the last day after rough early season games.

Monroe was outstanding in the clutch all season and ended tied with Cascade for the top North teams. Which brings me to this silly tie break system that Wesco uses now (and it was no better any other year).

Auburn and Tahoma play each other today for 1st and 2nd places in the SPSL. It's decided by the teams, on the field. Please explain to me why Wesco doesn't employ this tie breaker system.

What idiot decided that the tie break system for Wesco would be: "How the two teams did against the third place team?" I'm not sure that flipping a coin wouldn't be more fair. As it played out Snohomish was third, and I'm sure they tried to beat Monroe and Cascade equally. So let's just say for this year it worked out fine.

But let's say the third place team split with one of the teams early in the season when the games mattered. But they lost two games at the end of the season when their destiny was already determined. How fair would that be? Somebody wasn't thinking in the AD offices of Wesco - what a surprise!

If I recall correctly here is the rationale behind the tie breaker system in Wesco.

There is a draw for all 3 sports season prior to the school year to determine your rank in case of a tie (north and south are ranked 1-19). They use this system if there is a true tie (meaning a split of regular season games or 3 way I believe), AND as long as it does not determine if someone stays home- ie the last playoff berth.

Now the rationale: It is quite simple, especially for baseball. If Monroe and Cascade had to play a game Wednesday or Thursday their pitching staff would be at a disadvantage for the playoffs starting this Saturday. Same for basketball, playing a game right before playoffs start not only wears on the players, but takes away valuable practice time that time of the year.

I know some people do not like it, but most coaches seem to be OK with it as it gives them the best chance to win in the playoffs!

Hope this helps.

The topic of seeding is a popular one this year in Wesco. A couple of weeks ago I sat in the stands watching an Edmonds-Woodway/Kamiak game. A group of Mountlake Terrace players sat near me to watch their potential playoff rivals. During the game, they kept referring to getting a seed that would allow them to avoid Jackson as long as possible. That is what this Cascade-Monroe seeding discussion is all about. No one wants to be in the half of the bracket with Jackson. A loss to the Timberwolves would send that team into the four team loser's bracket to fight it out over the 3rd and final seed to state.

The coaches may or may not like the current tie-breaker format (which has changed from last year's lottery system, which is also unfair). I can't speak for the coaches or the AD's. What I do believe is that the standings should be decided by the players on the field, regardless of any potential pitching issues that might involve. KingCo is playing a playoff game tonight for seeding purposes. As previously mentioned, SPSL does the same. I would be interested to hear from others on how their leagues resolve tiebreakers.
This post was edited on 5/5 10:48 AM by Lucas99if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

This post was edited on 5/9 12:21 PM by ygyoif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

A couple things I don't see. Maybe I'll just take the covers off my eyes. The tie break game would be played on a Wednesday, with the next games on Saturday. I think pitching is a factor but that is part of the make-up of any team. The fact that one team may have two pitchers and another six (just as an example) should not factor into the mix. Decide it on the field.

Practices? If the coaches would just figure out that practices at that time of the year are simply not that important it would be a big help to the players. It is far more important to have players relaxed and ready to play than fatigued by the coaches putting in plays etc. Want an example: how did Cascade do in their first round games in basketball and baseball? They both practiced hard the day before the games. Ouch!

Coaches practice hard before the playoffs so they can say and feel like they (the coaches) have done everything to prepare themselves for the game. But they aren't playing the game - the players are. And the players are worn out mentally and physically by game day.

This is one of the best posts I have read in a long time. Between the discussion in this post and the inevitable re-classifications coming down next year, there is plenty to ponder.

Ask the MVL guys or the NWL guys how they feel about playoffs...the whole thing is getting goofy. I believe that the WIAA is doing their best but is seems like an impossible situation.

Kudos to you guys for discussing this issue in a well thought out manner. Safeco games should be sweet to watch...See you there as players or as fans!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT