ADVERTISEMENT

Semi Final Picks

Washington_sports

Sep 23, 2013
With no upsets last week, this week is that much harder to predict. I know a few are going to start falling out, but this week has got some really high caliber teams, Give us your predictions and a quick peek of why.

Connell (10-1) @ Royal (12-0) - Royal, the only remaining unbeaten team in 1A, has been dominating on defense, allowing only 5 teams to score and just 1 team has scored more than 7 points. On offense only 2 teams have kept them under 48 points. The only team to challenge them this year was the very opponent they are playing this week. Connell has not shown as much dominance but have been seeking a rematch of the week 3 loss after leading 20-19 with 3 minutes to go in the 4th quarter. They are a young team but have grown during the season.

Kings (11-1) @ Monte (10-2) - Kings only loss was to ABM (top 4 - 2A school) and put on a pretty good showing against a top tier Hoquiam team this week. Monte is coming off a beg win over Mt. Baker and seems to score whenever they want averaging 14 points in each of the first 2 quarters. Can the knights hold back this high powered offense?

A wonderful couple of games on tap for this week.
I have not seen Monte or Kings live or on tape this year, but the both teams are coming off solid wins against tough opponents.
I'm going to roll with the Montesano Bulldogs in this one. Call it my public school bias.
On the other side of the state, we have a rematch of the state game of the week for 1A from week 3.
Connell and Royal. Royal has looked the better of the two. Seemingly more effective on both sides of the ball. I'm picking Royal. The difference being their heart. It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. This little dog packs a punch.

Both games on the west side were excellent last week! Hoquiam came out flat against a very speedy King's squad and it killed them.....Monte came out fast against a very good Mt. Baker team.....I see both of these games being very close.....
Royal in a nail biter....
Monte in a close one by 10

Royal
Kings

Maybe I should go with Monte? Another Royal/Monte championship game................., but sticking with Kings.

Go Knights!

Royal
Kings

just sounds so much better than connell and monty for the final.

I believe both games are going to be fast paced. In seems that Monte has more experice in the playoffs, and they surprised me last week with a big win. Just because it's turkey-day, I am going to cheer for the underdogs. Good luck Monte, put us some points quick and make Kings play the catch up game. Monte by 10.

as for Royal and Connell? I am hoping for another grudge match similar to the one 9 weeks ago. Connell has wanted a second chance at Royal and Royal is not looking past this week. Neither team wants to switch to B-ball next week, but unfortunately the SCAC can only take one team to the finals this year. Because I am losing by more than 2 points in the picks, I am going with Connell for the upset. Connell by 3.

Don't know west side but I'm going with Monte.

I've seen both Connell and Royal play this year and I hope both play their best game (so far) this weekend. Personally I think it's Royal's to win or lose. Control penalties and turnovers and it will be a Royal victory. Not to say Connell is gonna be a pushover by any means. They have a gritty sense about them and dig deep when the time comes. If it's within 1 score at the end I give it to Connell but I'm hoping Royal. Their offense is so fun to watch - I hope to see it in the dome. Go Knights!!

First of all let me start by saying that getting to watch high school football on Thanksgiving weekend is the best!

Montesano lost to Hoquiam in week 6 by a score of 10-6. King's roughed up Hoquiam last week 42-21 and had a 35-0 halftime lead. By comparative scores, you would think that I would be picking King's for the win. Channeling my best Lee Corso,"Not so fast, my friends!" This year for Montesano has so many similarities to the 2012 season. In that year they lost to Hoquiam in week 3 by a score of 41-14. It was their 2nd loss in a row to start out that season with a 1-2 record. They beat King's in the quarterfinals that year 17-7 and went on to beat Royal in the final 43-28. I can guarantee you they are starting to feel that same sense of "destiny" building now as they did then. This should be a great game. I am picking Montesano by that same 17-7 score.

Royal vs. Connell will be all sorts of fun. As just about everyone knows, they faced each other in week 3 in a tough, sometimes sloppy, battle that the Knight's ended up winning. Connell was down 19-10 at the half and had a big third quarter that gave them a 20-19 lead in the 4th. Royal put together a game winning drive late in the game and then intercepted Connell and ran out the clock for a 27-20 victory. Both teams made mistakes in that game and both came away thinking that they could have won by multiple touchdowns if they had avoided those mistakes. Both are convinced that they are dramatically improved since week 3. I happen to agree with both of them. Which has improved more and which will play the cleaner game this time around? Royal will have to tackle well. The Eagle backs and QB can be "slippery" in the open field. Connell will have to cover well and put pressure on Jenks to keep the Royal offense out of rhythm.
Go Knights!!

Close game on the westside. Blow out on the east side. What does it all mean?!?!
Can go with the old saying......King's has a good recruiting class this year lol.......Monte started out flat and the penalties killed them......I am just hoping for a good game for the title and looking forward to next year!

Nice one king griz.

Look at the media guide average starting grade of Kings is 3rd grade
26 of the 51 there from first grade or earlier

no one in 1A is as strong as the best teams in year's past. it's a down year, but somebody's gotta win. I pick the Knights :)

Hey, daretobe. Save that crap for your friends. Players and coaches from Kings and Royal, who have given their everything all season, don't need to be told they aren't that good. Kings makes it to the finals for the first time ever but "it's a down year." Royal breaks the state season scoring record but "it's a down year." I'm sure you mean no ill will. I just have to add.... GO KNIGHTS!!!!!

Last edited:
Front Row Joe: save the maudlin crap for YOUR friends. Nobody said those kids didn't work. Just that it is a down year for 1A. You can disagree, but attack my point, not me.

Not sure how you thought that was personal other than I addressed you. I said that crap, not your crap, and made no references to you personally. I just think that statement should be made only amongst friends. Maybe crap was too strong of a word. I've never even been close to "the big game" but dreamed of it as a kid and hope someday my own kids can get there. It has to be an amazing experience. I'm sure these kids and coaches are excited to be there. I just hate to see it diminished in any way. I meant no animosity in my response.

This was no way a down year for the 1A division......Some of the teams you expected to have a good year did and some of them you expected to have a rough year due to underclassmen or whatever did......Royal played some amazing football this year and this is coming from someone on the west side of the state! Kings also played some good football as well! Hoquiam was able to get past the first round for the first time since the 1970's and Monte had a hail mary to set up the match up with Kings and almost pulled it out after starting flat! I for one am looking forward to next year and to also see how well the Royal players will play after second string got so much playing time this year......Monte and Hoquiam will be coming back strong, hell the whole Evergreen league will be fairly strong next year! But to say that this was a 'down' year? That statement/opinion is all yours and you are entitled to it, but I will refute it and say this was a great year!

ADVERTISEMENT