ADVERTISEMENT

Week 7 Picks? Playoffs starting to form, Big Games.

Washington_sports

Sep 23, 2013
Until now it seems like preseason but with 3 weeks left in the regular season playoffs are beginning to form. Last week Deer Park and La Center foiled a few picks, but this week is anyone's game. Not going easy, this week as most of these match-ups will be pretty close, so pick em if you can:

Okanogan (6-0) at Naches Valley (5-1)
Colville (4-2) at Freeman (4-2)
Zillah (5-1) at La Salle (6-0)
Cascade (3-3) at Cashmere (3-3)

Columbia (4-1) at Kings Way (5-1)
Baker (5-0) at Nooksack Valley (4-2)
Stanfield (6-0) at La Center (6-1)
Monte (6-0) at Hoquiam (5-3)

4 point Bonus and Game of the week (SCAC supremacy) 1A state #1 vs #2
#1 Royal (6-0) at #2 Connell (6-0)

OldGren - I already got you down for Connell.

Alright first week here this year and I went 8 and 2 with the bonus, this week is just mean but we will see if momentum will keep going........East side teams are difficult to pick because anyone can win on Friday night......

1. Okanogan (6-0) at Naches Valley (5-1) - After Naches got pushed around they will be pissed this week.....Down goes an undefeated!!! Taking the Rangers of Naches Valley once again!!!
2. Colville (4-2) at Freeman (4-2) - Going out on a limb and taking........Freeman
3. Zillah (5-1) at La Salle (6-0) - Leopards coming off a big win against the Rangers, but this week I am going to go against them once again..... La Salle it is!!!
4. Cascade (3-3) at Cashmere (3-3) - Boy 2 good teams with records that say otherwise.....Coin Flip here and the coin says....Cashmere
5. Columbia (4-1) at Kings Way (5-1) - Both good teams here on the west side....Gut says Columbia!!
6. Baker (5-0) at Nooksack Valley (4-2) - Getting to the good part of the season here for both teams, but Baker stays perfect here!
7. Stanfield (6-0) at La Center (6-1) - Trico Power or Stanfield.......Wildcats it is La Center!!!
8. Monte (6-0) at Hoquiam (5-3) - This game is just cruel in its own right......It has been called the Grays Harbor Grudge Match and for good reasons!!!!! This game here will decide who wins the Evergreen League Title and both teams are coming in hot!!! Monte got a good scare last week vs R.A. Long and Hoquiam throttled Elma but I think Hoquiam has played the tougher schedule thus far....So I am taking my Alma Matter the Grizzlies of Hoquiam!!!!!

Bonus game this week is the most brutal of all!!!!! #1 vs #2 Connell has the better offense yet Royal has the better defense......final coin flip and the coin says Connell!!!

Reactions: HSFBJNKE
Okanogan (6-0) at Naches Valley (5-1) I thought Naches would do better last week, I think I sticking with Okanogan in a close on.
Colville (4-2) at Freeman (4-2) - Colville
Zillah (5-1) at La Salle (6-0) - LaSalle, because Zillah is always overated
Cascade (3-3) at Cashmere (3-3) - Cascade

Columbia (4-1) at Kings Way (5-1) ??? guessing Kings Way
Baker (5-0) at Nooksack Valley (4-2) - Baker
Stanfield (6-0) at La Center (6-1) La Center
Monte (6-0) at Hoquiam (5-3) Monte

#1 Royal (6-0) at #2 Connell (6-0) King Griz says Connell has the better offense and Royal has better defense? I think the difference in this game will be if the Connell defense is quicker than Royals offense. I'm going regret betting against Wiley Allred but I'm saying Connell 31-28

Okanogan (6-0) at Naches Valley (5-1) Naches Valley 28-14
Colville (4-2) at Freeman (4-2) Freeman 21-18
Zillah (5-1) at La Salle (6-0) La Salle 36-21
Cascade (4-2) at Cashmere (3-3) Cascade 28-7

Columbia (4-1) at Kings Way (5-1) King's Way 42-21
Mount Baker (5-0) at Nooksack Valley (4-2) Mount Baker 35-34
Stanfield (6-0) at La Center (5-1) La Center 27-21
Montesano (5-0) at Hoquiam (4-2) Montesano 44-13

4 point Bonus
#1 Royal (6-0) at #2 Connell (6-0) Royal 22-21

4 point Bonus

4 point Bonus

Do you really think the Monte-Hoquiam game is going to be that lopsided? Thus far I think Hoquiam has had the tougher schedule playing a really tough Chehalis team and an always tough La Center team while Monte has played a fairly weak schedule up to this point. I am thinking this game is going to be closer than most think. If Hoquiam shuts down the run Monte has then it will go Hoquiam's favor. Most of all I think weather is going to be the game changer this Friday night......I guess we will see how things go come this Friday night....If anyone wants to listen to the game, I believe you can listen to it online at www.kxro.com

King Griz: Is your assessment of Connell/Royal based on observation or stats comparisons?
I looked up stats on points scored and points given up......Connell has scored 306 and given up 61 while Royal has scored 238 and given up 43.....I figure either way this is going to be a good game so I went with a coin flip where heads was Connell and tails was Royal and it came up with heads.....

I also looked back to last year and Connell lost a close game the first time around 27-20 but got crushed in the playoffs 47-7, so I am more going out on a limb and thinking that they will turn things around this year and return the favor in the first game of the season since I am sure they will play each other again come playoff time.....

Here's maybe a better stat for this year. Connell 184-34 in the first half of 6 games this year. Royal 174-7 in the first half of 5 games this year. If they do play each other in the playoffs this year it looks like it will be in the dome for the title.

Here's maybe a better stat for this year. Connell 184-34 in the first half of 6 games this year. Royal 174-7 in the first half of 5 games this year. If they do play each other in the playoffs this year it looks like it will be in the dome for the title.
Like I said earlier I do not know much of Eastside football except what I read in summaries (we all know how its just highlights and not overall performance) yet I know a little bit more here on the Westside since I am down here in Aberdeen.....Either way I have a gut feeling that this is going to be a damn good game no matter the outcome!!! I will be attending the Hoquiam-Monte game this Friday at Olympic Stadium if anyone wants to follow along with it you can listen live at www.kxro.com or follow Rob Burns of the Daily World on Twitter since I am sure he will be there as well....

Wow the shots keep coming. King Griz, don't take it personal, they are just upset that you picked Connell.;)
I am planning to attend, if this game is anything like last year regular season game it is well worth the money to travel. Allred and Riner have fought this fight more than once, so you know they are going to pull out all the plays on this game. the teams are equally matched (personally I feel Royal has the better line and Connell has the better ball handlers. Both QB's are seniors with multiple years experience and can scramble, throw and run. Both teams have proven they can score quickly. as for Strength of schedule? both teams played top 2A teams the first week, neither of which have lost another game since. As for the offensive scoring, Royal is behind, but the 2-0 forfeit score didn't help their totals. the offense is both teams strength, not to say the defense is at all shabby. This game is going to come down to which defense can make more stops. Are these two teams the real deal? in the past 10 years they have combine 5 state titles, and 9 championship appearances. not too shabby.

GoKnights1 - I like the comment about the Dome. This is the first time since 2007 the east side will send a team to the west side to play through the playoffs, and it is the District 5 #3 spot. with SCAC West taking the #1 spot last year, the winner of this game will likely play through the east bracket as the D5 #1 and the loser will play through the D5 #3 West side bracket. Not sure how the District 5 playoffs bracket will go this year to confirm that, but i got my fingers crossed for a rematch of the 2007 final.

Last edited:
Wow the shots keep coming. King Griz, don't take it personal, they are just upset that you picked Connell.;)
I am planning to attend, if this game is anything like last year regular season game it is well worth the money to travel. Allred and Riner have fought this fight more than once, so you know they are going to pull out all the plays on this game. the teams are equally matched (personally I feel Royal has the better line and Connell has the better ball handlers. Both QB's are seniors with multiple years experience and can scramble, throw and run. Both teams have proven they can score quickly. as for Strength of schedule? both teams played top 2A teams the first week, neither of which have lost another game since. As for the offensive scoring, Royal is behind, but the 2-0 forfeit score didn't help their totals. the offense is both teams strength, not to say the defense is at all shabby. This game is going to come down to which defense can make more stops. Are these two teams the real deal? in the past 10 years they have combine 5 state titles, and 9 championship appearances. not too shabby.

GoKnights1 - I like the comment about the Dome. This is the first time since 2007 the east side will send a team to the west side to play through the playoffs, and it is the District 5 #3 spot. with SCAC West taking the #1 spot last year, the winner of this game will likely play through the east bracket as the D5 #1 and the loser will play through the D5 #3 West side bracket. Not sure how the District 5 playoffs bracket will go this year to confirm that, but i got my fingers crossed for a rematch of the 2007 final.
Oh I understand, I just figure that Connell is due though right? After the 2 games last year you figure winning streaks come to an end right? I just think its great that those 2 schools have such great teams! I just have this gut feeling that it is going to be more evenly matched than some may think and with Connell being at home I can possibly see them getting the upset.....And I agree with GoKnights1 a rematch of the 2007 final would be pretty damn good!!!

1. Okanogan vs. Naches- Rangers are pretenders with an easy early schedule. Taking Okanogan.
2. Freeman vs. Colville- Should be a short game because of how much these teams run traditionally. I'll take the Indians this week. Maroon is a better color.
3. Zillah vs. La Salle- Is this game at Tomlinson? Gosh I hate that stupid cannon. I'm taking Zillah.
4. Cashmere vs. Cascade- No offense to the Kodiak's but I'm taking the dogs. Another quick game based on playing style.
5. Columbia vs. King's Way- Don't know much about either team here. I'll take Columbia.
6. Mt. Baker vs. Nooksack Valley- I'll take the Mounties again, they've been good to me so far.
7.Stanfield vs. La Center- I'll take La Center here, only loss is a tough one, not sure if Stanfield has been tested yet.
8. Montesano vs. Hoquiam- I'm going to take Montesano.

Challenge pick: Royal @ Connell- Connell has them right where they want them. On the grass, girth vs. speed in the trenches. Royal does have the advantage I think in the battle of the brain trusts. I think Wiley and Jeremy Scroggins find ways to score and get stops. Royal 35-27.

Okanogan (6-0) at Naches Valley (5-1) - Okanogan. .
Colville (4-2) at Freeman (4-2) - Freeman
Zillah (5-1) at La Salle (6-0) - Zillah
Cascade (3-3) at Cashmere (3-3) - Cashmere

Columbia (4-1) at Kings Way (5-1) Kings Way Christian.
Baker (5-0) at Nooksack Valley (4-2) Mt. Baker
Stanfield (6-0) at La Center (6-1) La Center
Monte (6-0) at Hoquiam (5-3) Monte

#1 Royal (6-0) at #2 Connell (6-0). 20 mph winds may be a factor in this one. I've seen them both play this year and I think Royal is the better team but they will have to bring everything to win at Connell. Royal.

I'm not privy to all the information, but yes, the College Place forfeit didn't help the point totals for Royal which by my estimate probably would've been 50+ for the total. Both teams will have a tough time slinging the rock with the weather forecast. Which offensive line will be able to establish the trenches? Connell is bigger up front on both sides of the ball, but Royal plays fast on defense and is tough to block with the movement they employ.

Not upset about anyone picking Connell. They are a quality team and program and regardless of who wins, there will be no upsets in this one. Just wondering about the determination about better offenses and defenses. I would argue that Royal has the tougher schedule so far, so point total comparisons are irrelevant. Othello is decent, but Ellensburg will eat their lunch. Zillah is miles better than Connell's second toughest opponent.

Regardless, all that can go out the window for Friday night. It will be a great game and I am hoping for a break in the weather.

Okanogan (6-0) at Naches Valley (5-1) This could go either way, but I had to pick one of them.
Colville (4-2) at Freeman (4-2) I think Freeman is better, but they will have to play well.
Zillah (5-1) at La Salle (6-0) Is this finally the year that LaSalle closes the gap? Maybe not, but I'm picking them anyway, just for fun.
Cascade (3-3) at Cashmere (3-3) Don't ask me why.

Columbia (4-1) at Kings Way (5-1) I know nothing about either of them.
Baker (5-0) at Nooksack Valley (4-2) Nooksack might hang around, but Mt. Baker will pull it out.
Monte (6-0) at Hoquiam (5-3) More consistent and a better program.

#1 Royal (6-0) at #2 Connell (6-0)
I used to like the Philadelphia Eagles before I moved to Washington. Can't stand them anymore, not sure why. Go Knights!!

This week should be easy peasy.

Okanogan (6-0) at Naches Valley (5-1) - Ok this one is tough. Neither team has played a hard schedule but Okanogan has done better against equal opponents (ignoring Warden) so I think I go with CTL on this one? won't here me say that very often.

Colville (4-2) at Freeman (4-2) - I think Freeman should win, but they have let me down twice already. Does anyone know if they are having injury issues? ugh hoping 3rd time is a charm but if freeman doesn't win, I am taking them off my fantasy football playoff scenario.

Zillah (5-1) at La Salle (6-0) - the end of a great undefeated season starts tomorrow. Leopards win. (Running beats Passing in this weather.

Cascade (3-3) at Cashmere (3-3) - this game is going to be a craps shoot. Cascade barley lost to Sultan by 7, and Cashmere got crushed by 40, then you look at Omak and Cascade barley won by 10 and Cashmere crushed them by 41??? I know some strange thing happen with CTL plays against themselves. Going with Cashmere in this CTL battle for 2nd place.

Columbia (4-1) at Kings Way (5-1) - Kings way knows how to put points on the board.
Baker (5-0) at Nooksack Valley (4-2) - it's not playoffs, so got to go with the Mounties.
Stanfield (6-0) at La Center (6-1) - OR vs WA. Going with WA of course.
Monte (6-0) at Hoquiam (5-3) - Monte in a semi hard fought battle.

#1 Royal (6-0) at #2 Connell (6-0) - I suppose I am a little SCAC bias, but when you have games like this why not. I have seen both teams play and Royal has less weaknesses, but for 2 heavily favored passing teams to play on a rainy night means the running is on. I am not sure about size (i would have thought that Royal's line is bigger) though Royal is older mostly senior line, while Connell is young. They both have speed, but i would say Connell RB has more driving power. Turf vs Grass does play a difference giving Connell home field advantage and it is Homecoming. Who scheduled the #1 team in the state for homecoming? I thought you always play the easiest team for homecoming? Guess Riner wanted the challenge. That takes a lot of balls, and for that I will take Connell. Go Eagles.

Connell almost always has more beef up front than any other SCAC team with the exception of Zillah. Royal hasn't had a big offensive line any time I can remember in the last five years or so.

Okanogan (6-0) at Naches Valley (5-1)
Colville (4-2) at Freeman (4-2)
Zillah (5-1) at La Salle (6-0)
Cascade (3-3) at Cashmere (3-3)

Columbia (4-1) at Kings Way (5-1)
Mt. Baker (5-0) at Nooksack Valley (4-2)
Monte (6-0) at Hoquiam (5-3)

Connell 26-13

Okanogan (6-0) at Naches Valley (5-1) Naches Valley
Colville (4-2) at Freeman (4-2) Colville. Freeman is the stronger team but coming off 2 loses in a row I'll go with the Indians
Zillah (5-1) at La Salle (6-0) Zillah
Cascade (3-3) at Cashmere (3-3) Cashmere

Columbia (4-1) at Kings Way (5-1) Kings Way
Baker (5-0) at Nooksack Valley (4-2) Mt Baker
Stanfield (6-0) at La Center (6-1) LA Center
Monte (6-0) at Hoquiam (5-3) Montesano

#1 Royal (6-0) at #2 Connell (6-0) Royal 24-21

Well Monte won tonight 20-14 on a 20 some yard td pass with 12 seconds left....Major holding call was missed on this play, other than that this is one of the best games I have seen in quite a few years......weather played a major role in this one in the 2nd half, other than that Hoquiam let it get away from them with missing 3 field goals, granted these were not no easy chip shots......Hoquiam needs a new offensive coordinator, MacMillian is absolutely horrible!!!!!!! Ball inside the 20 yard line 3 or 4 times and they come away with points once!!!!!

Freeman beat Colville 21 7. Colville had 5 turnover's 1st quarter. Does anyone know Royal Score? I listened on way home but lost service at end. Sounds like Zillah vs Lasalle game was crazy also

Royal won 28-21. Traded turnovers under three minutes left. Royal sealed it with a pick under two minutes inside their own 20.

ADVERTISEMENT