ADVERTISEMENT

$150,000...What this number really means.

Vadin3003

Feb 28, 2008
I have been reading for a while now how the WIAA/Colbrese has said they lost $150.000 and thus the need for the change in the state tourney format. This is a true statement, but said as well as any politician will ever put a personal spin on something. The number, $150,000 is based on a comparison of net profits comparing the 2010 tourneys to the 2005 tourneys. So yes, the number is correct but in reality it is not a loss like one would assume, it is a loss of net profit compared to another year's net profit. For example, If Starbucks made 50 million in net profit last year, then only made 40 million in net profit this year, they will state that they lost 10 million, when in reality they still made a net profit of 40 million. Mr. Colbrese chose to go back to the year 2005 to make the comparison due to the largest gap in net profit years. He stated the loses were due to a loss of about $74,000 from lower attendance at the 3A and 4A tourneys, and $70,000 in additional expenses by adding an additional class B tournament. So while the WIAA is still making a profit, Mr Colbrese acts like a very seasoned politition and spins a big number like $150,000 to try to further justify his reasonings for change. Oh, I almost forgot, through all this spin, Mr. Colbrese was able to give himself two consecutive raises during this time period (2007-2008) of 6.5%. That's a total increase of 13% in this mans pay. Sounds like the typical CEO to me. Mr. Colbrese now makes $178,579. Thats only $10,000+ more than the average of his counter parts in the ten closest states to Washington. Well deserved I'm sure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT