ADVERTISEMENT

**2011 2A State PlayOff Pick 'Em** HQ, Standings, and FINALS PICKS

football_fever3

Sep 23, 2006
A full season comes down to one game. Congrats to Lynden and ATM for finding a way through the gauntlet we like to call the state playoffs. Here are the standings leading into the final week of football:

1. football104050 20
1. BE Fan 20
3. hornitos 19
3. Macman28 19
3. tigtown 19
3. gpeckham 19
7. Bronyar 18
7. football_fever3 18
7. tough.d 18
7. maroonandblue 18
7. SmallPox 18
12. LW-Observer 17
13. gooddog1 16
13. king_griz06 16
13. 2A_footballfan 16
16. sports11821 15
17. nunya_biz 13
18. buhichigar 10
19. borderite2000 8
20. okhater3 4
20. hs sports fan 4
20. sporsphan101 4
23. inocentbystanderLL 3

Game time is 10am on Saturday, so I will put the deadline to put in your finals pick at 9am on Saturday. Remember, a correct pick is worth 4 points this week.

Good luck to both the Lions and the Wildcats on Saturday. Two great programs battling it out for the coveted 'Gold Ball'. Also, safe travels for anyone who may be attending any of the state championship games this weekend.

Lynden Vs. ATM - For The State Championship

ATM - They pulled off two big wins over two very good teams in the CWAC in two straight weeks.

Lynden 38-14

Not taking anything away from the wins ATM's had in the last few weeks but they're back in west side football now. I'll give them 14 points, there's no way they're putting up 40's again.

What does 2 wins over CWAC teams have to do with ATM beating Lynden? Just curious as to the reasoning there?

it was in reference to the point spreads. ATM's post season numbers have been quite a bit higher than their regular season averages, i would personally attribute that to the 2 CWAC teams they played.

What about the Evergreen #1 seed Tumwater team that ATM clown-stomped down in Tumwater. That helped their post season point spreads.

Lynden

Last time I picked Prosser due to travel time and it was my only way to win this thing. The Mustangs let me down. I knew it was a long shot.

This time I am picking Kramme. I will get it correct this time.

Win or lose...both teams will have had a great season. That said Lynden should be proud of this fact...THEY DON'T CHARGE $14,000 per student a year tuition, and they don't "recruit" from the Everett or Snohomish School Disticts. Lynden can be proud that ALL of there athletes are from LYNDEN, a small town of just over 10,000.

You forgot to mention that ATM is a 1A school up at the 2A level. Saturday, ATM will play against a school (Lynden) with close to 300 more students.

First of all, O'dea plays up 1 classification not 2. ATM is co-ed, O'dea is not. They're not required to opt up at all.

Oldshoes...

Archbishop Murphy should be proud it's turned a school with no football program at all in 1999 into a state powerhouse. That didn't happen overnight. It took a LOT Of hard work, commitment to giving student-athletes a great education, and great coaching.

Pretty amazing to think how well they've done at the 2A level opting up when they could have been cleaning up at 1A.

Kudos to EVERYONE associated with that fine program. A program that has a lot of respect for Lynden. If the feeling's not mutual so be it. Good luck to both teams, travel safe and stay injury free.

Have a better day.
This post was edited on 11/30 9:01 PM by Just Play Football

"They should play up at 3A. Odea plays up 2 classifications, why can't Murphy?"

This statement is false. O'Dea has 653 students for the purposes of WIAA classification. That puts them in the 2A classification (remember that they are all boys, too). They opt up one classification to 3A.

Archbishop Murphy has 426 students (223 boys). That qualifies them for 1A. They voluntarily opt up to 2A.
This post was edited on 11/30 9:06 PM by Just Play Football

O'Dea = 653 students; ATM=426 students (223 boys)

O'Dea has 653 students, all of which are boys. ATM has 426 students, approximately half of which are girls.
This post was edited on 11/30 7:19 PM by Warrant3

I am safe with my pick. If I pick a football game due to who is coaching that game in the state of Washington, it would be Kramme.

By the way, I knew ATM would win, but the only way I could win this fine contest was to pick Prosser and hope for an upset. So, I will call it a double win in theory, but a push in reality.

I understand where you're coming from gooddog. We'll see a couple of quality programs going at it Saturday morning.

This is a hell of choice. I've gone back & forth. I'm going with the roll ATM appears to be on right now. I find their win over Tumwater pretty convincing while Lynden had a dog fight with both the #2 & #3 teams from the Evergreen conference. Despite all the complaints I think the two best teams have ended up playing for the championship. Finally, ATM may be tired of being the bridesmaid.

ATM 21 Lynden 20

Love the "clown-stomped" description of the win ATM had against the Tbirds. It was a rough game to watch (yes, I bleed green).
ATM showed they came to play in that game. Tumwater did not.
The EVCO conference MVP from Tumwater was out injured, but in my opinion the birds just didn't come to play. One could theorize that the birds just thought they would run over ATM as they had done most of their prior opponents, but who cares.
A win is a win.
Private school vs. public school is horse pucky as well.
A win is a win.
I think ATM will have this one.
Big congrats to both teams for getting this far; a testament to their drive, awesome coaching, parent and community support.

Gotta take the time to Thank borderite for picking ATM. Person's picked against Lynden every game these playoffs, and has been wrong every time. Totally out of the picture for this little competition, but still takes the time to let the reverse jinx work its magic. Love the commitment :)

LYNDEN- if lynden dominates the line of scrimmage like they do almost every game they win easy. if they dont its going to be a crazy game.

What the Wildcats have going: Obviously, they have found what they do well. The move of HVW to qb has obviously been a season changer. They have coasted through the playoffs, absolutely man-handling teams along the way. They also have the past. This year's seniors have seen their 'Cats lose to Lynden, lose to Lynden, lose to Tumwater. No question they will be hungry. Sounds like they are also getting healthy (return of a starting CB). ATM's team speed is unmatched as well. Their DB's have enough speed to be able to lock up man to man and dare passing teams to pass the ball, with extra guys in the box.

What the Lions have going: Experience. One might say they don't b/c last year they were out early, with a young team, and I agree, but the entire program has experience in this situation. They also have experience in the dome. Lynden played the 10am inside last week, while ATM played the 12 outside in the cold. I think that plays a bit of a roll. They also have more weapons on offense. With four 'more than capable' receivers, a good RB, an all-state caliber QB, and a very dominant offensive line, the lions have options.

So who wins the final game of 2011? I think the Lynden defense does it's usual, bend but don't break. They will give up yards, but wont allow the big play. Meanwhile, a skittish Lynden offense will rebound after a week in the dome, and move the ball however ATM chooses. Will be close in the 2nd half, but as many have stated, Lynden's coaching becomes the x-factor. There are very few as good as Curt Kramme. No doubt he has his kids in the right place tomorrow morning.

Since the top 2 people on here have picked opposite, I can't win. So, I will not pick ATM, because that is the only way I could have even possibly won. I will go with what I think will happen then:
Lynden over ATM!

Gooddog you are a genius!

Gooddog: I am safe with my pick. If I pick a football game due to who is coaching that game in the state of Washington, it would be Kramme.

ADVERTISEMENT