ADVERTISEMENT

**2012 2A Playoff Pick 'Em** Standings and FINAL PICKS

football_fever3

Sep 23, 2006
And then there were two! Congrats to Tumwater and Lynden for making it to the state championship game.

Here are the updated standings after last week's semifinal picks:

STANDINGS: (Total from last week - - winner picks - - explanation - - margin of victory - - final score)

1. NWC Fballfan: 27.5 + 6 + 1 + 2.5 + 4 = 41
2. Peteypab8: 30 + 6 + 1 + 1.5 + 1.5 = 40
3. BE Fan: 26 + 6 + 1 + 2 + 4 = 39
4. gooddog1: 28 + 6 + 1 + 3 + 0 = 38
5. borderite2000: 29 + 6 + 1 + .5 + 0 = 36.5
5. Smallpox: 27 + 6 + 1 + 2 + .5 = 36.5
7. Macman28: 30 + 3 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 36
8. Little_Lion_Man: 27.5 + 6 + 1 + .5 + .5 = 35.5
8. cougarhouse: 24.5 + 6 + 1 + 2 + 2 = 35.5
10. Westside4: 28 + 3 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 34
10. FootballFever3: 25 + 6 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 34
12. maroonandblue: 25 + 6 + 1 + 1.5 + 0 = 33.5
13. sport11821: 28 + 3 + 1 + .5 + .5 = 33
14. innocentbystanderLL: 25 + 6 + 1 + .5 + 0 = 32.5
15. nunya_biz: 20.5 + 6 + 1 + 1.5 + 1.5 = 30.5
16. kart17wings: 20 + 6 + 1 + 2 + .5 = 29.5
17. txkill: 25.5 + 0 = 25.5
18. Moch77: 25 + 0 = 25
18. Warrant3: 17 + 6 + 1 + 1 + 0 = 25
20. northeast_a: 22 + 0 = 22
21. PMForever: 12 + 3 + 1 + 0 + 0 = 16
22. Rainmaker2112: 14 + 0 = 14
23. LW-Observer: 12 + 0 = 12
23. scorebooks: 12 + 0 = 12
25. DaunteGouge: 10 + 0 = 10
26. Zagalicious: 8 + 0 = 8

Point System For Final Round Picks:

We will keep things similar and easy for the final round -- This is what you need in your picks to be eligible for points --

1. Pick who wins the state title (FOUR points for a correct selection)

2. Write down an explanation for why you picked the way you did (worth ONE POINT)

3. Select a margin of victory (w/n 14 = .5 points, w/n 7 = 1, w/n 3 = 1.5, exactly =2)

4. Select a final score (sum of both scores w/n 14 = .5 points, w/n 7 = 1, right = 3)

State Championship Match-up:

Lynden Lions taking on the Tumwater T-Birds (1pm @ Tacoma Dome)

Good luck to everyone in the final week of the Playoff Pick 'Em!

Be sure to have your picks in by 1pm on Saturday afternoon
for your picks to be eligible.

If you are traveling to the Dome for any games this weekend, drive safe! Enjoy the final week of HS football in the state, and GOOD LUCK TO THE LIONS AND THE T-BIRDS -- Let's finish off this season with a great battle.

Lynden: Scary on both sides of the ball. Multiple weapons on offense. Starting defense has only given up 4 touchdowns all season. Tumwater just can't keep up. Lynden has shown that they can demolish the running game, even a running game that belongs to a great team. (See; last week.) Tumwater throws a few passes to keep it from getting boring. Final Score: 28-10. Lions by 18.

This post was edited on 11/26 4:03 PM by innocentbystanderLL

Lynden - Been playing tough and consistent all year. Offense puts up points at will and defense shuts down the running game. Thinking it may be a blowout. 42-14.

Lynden wins big!

I watched the Lynden vs Capital game and was impressed at how well they played and the blowout that came because of it. Also went and watched the Tumwater vs. Prosser game and needless to say, Lynden will win big. Tumwater is nothing special and made a lot of mistakes last game. Luckily they played Prosser and not Othello.

Lynden by 32. Final score (49 - 17).

Lynden...I think they are just a notch above the other 2A teams this year. I thought Capital would test them but that didn't happen. I believe Lynden wins going away 42-21

Lynden wins by 28 (49-21=70). Tumwaters running attack should be stopped by Lynden. Going to be really tough for Tumwaters Wing-T offense to play catch up with the amount of points Lynden will put up. Like Macman alluded to earlier Othello with a healthy QB gets by Prosser and Tumwater but i digress best of luck to both teams great weekend of football at the T-Dome.

No matter what happens, don't take for granted the fact that this is one of the greatest coaching matchups in the history of the Washington State HS Football Championship:

Kramme vs. Otton.

Doesn't get much better than that folks. You're going to see two very well-coached teams Saturday.

This post was edited on 11/29 10:23 AM by Just Play Football

Lynden by 21 (42-21): I'm not going to be the one to break ranks. I think Lynden can score 42 on anyone in 2A. I do think Tumwater will clean up some of the mistakes from last week.
This post was edited on 11/29 1:42 PM by Warrant3

Most of Lynden's champ games have been close, especially the recent ones. Their 4 championships have been won by a combined 16 points. Somehow, I think this one may be closer than what most think. Having said that, I thought the same for last week. I am going to go with Lynden by 11. FINAL Score: 21-10 Lynden over Tumwater in reverse score of 2 years ago.

Side Note: I believe that Lynden has only lost 2x in the last 3 seasons. Against Tumwater in 2010 and Kings this season.

Lynden by 21.....35-14...The mighty Leos are the dominate team in the 2A ranks this year and will show why. Nasty defense will shut down the wing-t, and give Lynden yet another golden ball.

Tumwater by 1, 21-20 I think Lynden will win, but the only way to make up points is to pick against the favorite.

Tumwater
smile.r191677.gif
Close game but I think Lynden finally loses a championship game. I don't think they will be intimidated by the Lions or the T-Dome and they pull it out in the end.. Tumwater 31-28

Lynden OVER Tumwater 41-14 (27). After seeing both teams play against Capital, I don't see how this can be close. But ya still gotta play the game.

Lynden over Tumwater 48-21 (27). Tumwater has a RB that seems similar to Lynden's Luke Christianson. Very fast, and a special teams threat. No matter. Lynden defends the wing-T well, thanks to having Ferndale on the schedule every year.

Lynden defeats the T Birds by 10 pts. 31-21. Kraght and Christainson will find enough runing lanes to keep the chains moving, even though Tumwater will make some adjustments on defense to bottle up the Lions offense for periods of time during the game. T Birds will have to be efficient on offense to outlast a quick Lion defense.

I know the only way that I can win is to pick Tumwater, but I simply can't bring myself to do it...

Smallpox is correct in that Lynden has only lost 2 games in the last three seasons, and each season they seem to be better than the one before. And Smallpox is also correct that their championship games have been close, but Lynden has never had a playoff set like this. Since Lynden went to 2A they have played in 23 playoff games, going 21-2 and winning 4 state championships. Before this year, they had only scored 40 or more points ONCE in 20 games (55 against Interlake last year). This year, not only have they scored 40 points in each playoff game, they've had a 40 point LEAD in each playoff game. Since week 1, the Lions have outscored their opponents 397-28 in the first half, an average halftime score of 33-2, and they've only played better in the playoffs.

I know Tumwater will come prepared. I know their coach is great, and they have some terrific athletes, but I don't see them dethroning the Lions in this game.

Lynden over Tumwater 42-13.

Go Lions!

My prediction is that the score will be much lower than everybody thinks.

These are two teams that eat up a LOT of clock and it should be something like 28-14 or 21-7 Lynden.

Do people really think Lynden will score 6-7 TD's against Tumwater's defense in a shortened game with two ball-control offenses?

This post was edited on 11/30 1:59 PM by Just Play Football

Lynden over Tumwater by 21 (42-21). Lynden is playing so well and has so many weapons on offense I still can't see them being held under 40 points. On defense the Lions see the wing-t offense a couple of times at least every year so it won't be anything new for them. Congrats to both teams for making it this far!

1. I'm not sure how Lynden's no-huddle, quick snap, passing offense counts as a ball-control offense. They have had some drives that last a long time, but they can score in 30 seconds or less - just ask Ferndale. Or any other team that's given Lynden the ball back with a minute to go in the first half.

2. Capital was supposed to be a ball-control offense, but Lynden scored 48 points on them. Lynden had FOUR turnovers in that game, and STILL scored 48 points against a team that's supposed to run and chew clock and keep the score low.

I'm not saying it's necessarily going to be a high scoring game - I know both teams will come prepared defensively, but it's certainly not ridiculous to suggest that Lynden could put up 6-7 TDs...

Offense: Tumwater wants to pound the ball. They run the Wing-T, and as mentioned above, will want some long, sustained drives. The longer they are on the field, the better. They have a lot of speed, as well as size at a couple of spots. That said, I was not overly impressed with their offensive line against Prosser. Lynden on the other hand has weapons, and more weapons. Load up the bow, they will throw on you, drop everyone into coverage, they will run on you. They have highth out wide, speed in the back field, and probably the best offensive line in the state (2A) up front. This is not to mention a qb that can run, throw, and make quick decisions. ADVANTAGE LYNDEN.

Defense: Both teams have not given up many points this year. Tumwater tackles very well, and from their 4-3 defense, like to bring heat. They have a D-1 player in Bryant, and small but quick and physical linebackers. Rarely will they make mistakes, and they hope to keep the ball in front of them, and prevent the big play. Since week one, Lynden's starting defense has only given up 3 or 4 scores TOTAL. Their undersized d-line plays bigger than they are, their D-ends are both D-1 ball players, and a LB core that is as physical as any. That doesnt even mention a defensive backfield that has a TNT All State 1st teamer in Kraght, and Zach Vis, who in my opinion, is the best safety in the state. He comes down and really punishes anyone that gets through the first line. ADVANTAGE LYNDEN.

Special Teams: I am not sure the official line, but Tumwater has a lot of punt/kickoff returns for touchdown. From what I hear they love to fake punt, and have multiple ways to do this. Andrew Browne is the 2A 400 meter dash champion, and that speed is very evident every time he touches to ball. ADVANTAGE TUMWATER.

Coaching: Sid Otten vs. Curt Kramme ... need I say more. ADVANTAGE TOSS UP.

At the end of the day, Lynden plays against the Wing-T often, so they will not be caught off guard by it's mis-direction. With Meyer and Newman on the outside, they will keep things in the middle, and the physical nature of Lynden's D will shine. On the other side, there are just too many weapons for the T-Birds to slow down. As I mentioned, it is a "pick your poison", and I predict Josh Kraght will have his way both with his arm and his feet today.

Lynden OVER Tumwater by 28 42-14

Tumwater over Lynden by 3, 17-14. I think Tumwater played rope a dope last week and Lynden will be overconfident.
This post was edited on 12/1 11:21 AM by gooddog1

How often does Lynden really quick snap? Seems like they spend a lot of time standing at the line getting signals and audibled from Kramme but then again I am not from Lynden and have not seen them as much.

ADVERTISEMENT