ADVERTISEMENT

**2012 2A Playoff Pick 'Em** Standings and Quarterfinal Picks

football_fever3

Sep 23, 2006
Thanks to everyone who entered in picks last week!

Pick 'Em Standings - After Opening Round Matchups:[/B]

1. maroonandblue 8/8 for 16 points
1. Moch77 8/8 for 16 points
1. Peteypab8 8/8 for 16 points
1. Macman28 8/8 for 16 points
1. Little_Lion_Man 8/8 for 16 points
1. gooddog1 8/8 for 16 points
1. Smallpox 8/8 for 16 points
1. Football_Fever3 8/8 for 16 points
1. NWC Fballfan 8/8 for 16 points
10. kart17wins 7/8 for 14 points
10. Westside4 7/8 for 14 points
10. BE Fan 7/8 for 14 points
10. innocentbystanderLL 7/8 for 14 points
10. sports11821 7/8 for 14 points
10. northeast_a 7/8 for 14 points
10. txkill 7/8 for 14 points
10. cougarhouse 7/8 for 14 points
10. borderite2000 7/8 for 14 points
10. Rainmaker2112 7/8 for 14 points
20. LW-Observer 6/8 for 12 points
20. PMForever 6/8 for 12 points
20. Warrant3 6/8 for 12 points
20. scorebooks 6/8 for 12 points
24. nunya_biz 5/8 for 10 points
24. DaunteGouge 5/8 for 10 points
26. Zagalicious 4/8 for 8 8 points

Quarter Final Picks:[/B]

In order to mix things up a bit, as well as to get some separation in the standings, we are going to spice things up a bit. This week, for your quarterfinal picks, here are the steps you need to take when entering your predictions.

FIRST: Make a prediction of a winner[/B] for each game. This is what everyone did last week. (Worth 2 points each - For a total of 8 points)

SECOND:
Write out a sentence[/B] or more for each pick, as to why you made that selection. If you have no idea, just write you have no idea what, gut feeling, flipped a coin, etc ... (Worth .25 points each - For a total of 1 point)

THIRD:
Select a margin of victory for each matchup. EXP: Burlington OVER Capital by 7. ((Pick within 14 (2 scores) = .5 pts -- Pick within 7 (1 score) = 1 pt -- Pick within 3 (1 fg) = 1.5 pts -- Pick exactly right = 2 pts))

FOURTH:[/B] Select a final score for each matchup. (If the combined score of both teams is within 14 points = .5 pts -- within 7 points = 1 pt -- exactly correct = 3 pts)

Example Pick: "Sumner OVER Lynden by 7 (28 - 21) - The rain prevents the Lions from being able to throw the ball, and Sumner stays away from turnovers, punching in the final score with under a minute to go."

Quarter Final Matchups:

Burlington @ Captial
Lynden @ Sumner
ArchBishop @ Tumwater
Othello @ Prosser

**They have not posted when the ATM vs. Tumwater or Othello vs. Prosser games are to be played yet. That said, the deadline to get your picks in will be PRIOR TO the first of the four games beginning **

Good luck to everyone, and if you are traveling Fri or Sat for one of these games, travel safe and have fun!

[/B]

This post was edited on 11/13 8:48 PM by football_fever3

Thanks for the correction westside I thought I read Saturday at 7 for ATM vs Tumwater but yeah Friday night @ 7

Capitol beats BE- Capitol is huge and will out physical BE. 21 point victory, 28-7
Lynden keeps it rolling over Sumner- Experience takes over- Could be a shut out- 31-0
ATM-Tumwater go to OT, Tumwater goes for 2 and gets it, 25-24 Tumwater
Othello is still too big and physical for this year's Mustangs, Husky win, 34-14

Burlington @ Capital
Lynden @ Sumner
ArchBishop @ Tumwater
Othello @ Prosser

Capital
OVER Burlington-Edison by 21 (42-21) - After playing on a muddy field and a frozen field, Capital will look to get back to some normal conditions and get their ground game clicking on all cylinders. I think the Lakewood game was a wake-up call to their defense, and they will come prepared for anything. Being at home helps too.

Lynden OVER Sumner by 28 (49-21) - I mean no disrespect to Sumner, but Lynden absolutely dismantled Mark Morris last week, and that was "supposed" to be close. Their offense has been unstoppable lately, with a heavy dose of the run to compliment their potent passing attack. Sumner scores a few late to make it respectable.

Tumwater OVER Archbishop Murphy by 17 (31-14) - I think that this game plays into Tumwater's strength. Their run defense is as good as I have seen, and Murphy appears to be pretty reliant on the run. Tumwater's special teams is ridiculous, and you can expect it to set up a short field all night for their offense. And you can always count on Coach Otton to pull some crazy tricks out of his playbook.

Prosser OVER Othello by 7 (31-24) - I could go either way on this one. I don't know much about either but I just get the feeling Prosser will be extra motivated after losing early in the year to Othello. Othello's defense is quite stout, but I think Prosser's offense has been clicking lately, and I see them breaking through in this game. Again, I am just going with a hunch here, but I think this will be the best game of the quarterfinals.

(I am hoping to get to see the Tumwater and Capital games this weekend [and maybe the Lynden game too if I am feeling crazy!]. Should be a great weekend of football.)

Capital - Big, Strong, power running will be enough to advance to the semis. 35-14
Lynden - Still going strong, dont think Sumner has was it takes to slow them down. 42-14
Tumwater - Possibly a better game then some may think, but Tumwater advances. 28-17
Othello- the huskies started off strong this year and seem to get stronger. that D of theres is stout! 35-10.

Capital over B-E by 28 (35-7) Capital size and maturity to much for this years Burlington team.

Lynden over Sumner by 25 (35-10) Lynden is playoff tested, good & I don't know much about Sumner.

Tumwater over ATM by 21 (35-14) Tumwater out for revenge after last years blow out.

Othello over Prosser by 10 (24-14) I think Othello is just the better team this year.

Capital crushes Burlington by 21, 42 to 21 with Kai Van Sickle running rough shod over the Tigers. With Van sickle capable of rushing over 300 yards and scoring half a dozen touchdowns a game, the Tigers could be looking for a den to take cover in by half time.

The Lynden Lions will pounce on Sumner by 28, 42 to 14. Lynden's coaching staff and players appear to be unbeatable the last couple of years if given more than two days to prepare for a contest. Once again the Lions appear to have it all. Now, all they have to do is find the stadium.

There may be a Brown out at Tbird stadium this weekend as Tumwater sucks the juice from Murphy by 14, 35 to 21. Legendary coach Sid Otton has been there many times with his team and looks to be a contender again. Look out for his 255 pound, defensive, running back. Their fine running back Brown could be the difference.

Othello squeaks past Prosser by 7, 28 to 21 to keep their hopes alive for a state title. Even though Othello won rather easily during the regular season the game was on their home field. Having witnessed the rabid Mustang fans in action this game could go either way. Othello travels twice as far as Prosser to the game. Therefore, Othello has twice the chance to hit a deer or a cow on the way to the contest to slow them down.

Capital over Burlington by 21 (35-14). B-E will come in with a good defensive plan to stop Van Sickle, but their offense isn't comparable to Lakewood's, and Capital's size and speed will eventually wear them down.

Lynden over Sumner by 35 (49-14). Since their week 1 loss to Kings, Lynden has outscored opponents in the first half of games (when their first string is on the field) by a combined score of 328-28, and Sumner might be the 4th or 5th best team they'll have faced since. The Lions will get up by 40 at some point in this game, and district 3 will go 0-4 vs. all other districts these playoffs.

Tumwater over ATM by 6 (20-14). I think this will be the best game of the week. ATM is not the team they were when they got destroyed by Kings early in the year. I predict a defensive battle here that Tumwater just ekes out as revenge for last year.

Othello over Prosser by 14 (35-21). Don't know much about the eastside teams, just going by previous results and shared matchups.

This post was edited on 11/13 1:40 PM by Little_Lion_Man

Capital over BE by 14 (42-28) Because who wants to lose to a team thats from Burlinton edison? Just Joking. I have no Idea about these teams other than I hear Capital is legit.

Lynden over sumner by 35 (42-7) Lynden is a juggernaut and Sumner I've never heard of so that is why.

ArchBishop over Tumwater by 7 (35-28) Because Tumwater has choked in big games the last several years.

Othello over Prosser by 21 (35-14) I don't think Prosser is as good as their record. They won some games by just a few pts this year that they usually dominate. I think its a down year for Prosser and an up year for Othello. I just think they are a better team this year. But I do reserve the right to be completely wrong on this because Prossers legacy speaks for itself.

p.s. I don't know much of the westside teams

ArchBishop over Tumwater by 7 (35-28) Because Tumwater has choked in big games the last several years.

Excepting two years ago, when they won their four state tournament games by a combined score of 167-59 en route to the 2A title...

Thanks Kart ... I was bound to make at least one mistake, it has been fixed. Anyone else see one, let me know.

Capitol over Burlington: 35-7. Capitols run game too strong for Burlingtons defense

Lynden over Sumner: 35-7. Lynden too experienced and just too good in general. If Sumner chooses to focus on the pass, Christianson and Kraght will be all over them with the run. If they focus on the run, Kraght has way too many options at receiver for it to work. Lynden also has depth.

Tumwater over ATM: 28-14. ATM's had too many changes this past year to be as solid as they should be. New coach, losing some players, and on top of all this, Tumwater got blown out by them last year, so they'll be out for blood.

Othello over Prosser: 35-21. Othellos offense too strong for Prossers defense. They're not ranked number 1 for nothing.

Capital OVER Burlington by 21 (42-21) Capital is fierce. Their run game is dominant and they are probably the most tested team in the quarterfinals with some tough opponents this season.

Lynden OVER Sumner by 35 (42-7) Lynden has the experience and poise to win games, big. They are on a roll right now and I am ready for an epic battle between Lynden and Capital next week.

Tumwater OVER ArchBishop by 7 (27-20 ) Don't really know much about this game. Just basing this off of Tumwater's impressive OT win against Capital early in the season. Just a hunch that it will be close.

Othello OVER Prosser by 24 (38-14) The match-up earlier this season was good, but Othello has proven to be the much better team overall by beating teams by a much larger margin than Prosser. The first half may be close, but as the game wears on, Othello's D shuts Prosser down and Othello pulls away.

Settle down little lion man...tumwater is a good team...i said what i said because i had to say something...and i haven't seen one second of any of their games...and i wanna win this and noticed that most were picking Tumwater to win...so therefore i thought it was the closest of the four games to go against the consensus pick.

Capital 34-10 I know nothing about Capital but I've heard they're good.
Lynden 27-20 Lions are one of my picks to make it to final.
Tumwater 34-13 My other pick to make it to the final.
Prosser 24-17 Just a gut feeling

Capital over Burlington by 21....35-14: The Cougars too big and strong up front, and Van Sickle is just a beast.

Lynden over Sumner by 29...42-13: Homefield might help Sumner a bit, but Lynden is still the favorite to win it all and will show why.

Tumwater over Murphy by 14....35-21: Murphy has improved, but still too one dimensional. T-Birds do their thing in this battle.

Prosser over Othello by 6....27-21: Stangs out-gained them in first battle, breaks go their way this time on nuetral field.
This post was edited on 11/14 5:05 PM by sport11821

Capital over Burlington.By 14. van Sickle will pack the pigskin plenty and wear em down. Def. does enough. 28-14.
Lynden over Sumner. By 20. With the returning cast, coaching staff and playoff experience. 34-14.
Tumwater over ATM. By 2. Every football cliche applies here. Both teams play tough but a trick does it. 22-20.
Othello over Prosser. By 10. Othello D has the Mustangs number one more time, Offense gets enough points. 27-17.

I've got as much chance of winning this contest as I do getting mauled by a grizzly bear and getting hit by a meteorite in the same day.

Burlington at Capital: One week ago this pick would have been a slam dunk for me. Capital is obviously a big favorite to move on to the Semi's. Van Sickle is a beast, and the O-Line is stout for Capital. Burlington has won 4 of their last 5 and they're playing their best football. The Tigers have to hang in early to have a chance. The Pick: Burlington by 1 (31-30).

Lynden at Sumner:
Sumner is at home, that should help the Spartans. The season opening loss to King's seemed to sharpen the focus of the defending 2A champs. They are playing like a team on a mission. I'm a believer. The Pick: Lynden by 31 (38-7).

Archbishop Murphy at Tumwater: After a 49-0 beatdown at the hands of Lakewood on Sept. 21 ATM looked like road kill. Since then the Wildcats have reeled off 6 in a row, averaging 41 ppg in the process. All Tumwater has done is win the competitive Evergreen Conference. The Tumwater D-Line is anchored by UW commit Jaimie Bryant. The Pick: ATM by 7 (35-28).

Othello at Prosser:
These are two teams that know each other well. Last week I picked against the Mustangs and got burnt. The scoreczar computer has Othello ranked #1 in 2A. The Pick: Othello by 21 (28-7).

This post was edited on 11/15 2:38 PM by Warrant3

Burlington @ Captial- Capital because they were ranked #1 until Tumwater upset them- Capital by 7 (28-21)

Lynden @ Sumner-
Lynden because Lynden always wins in playoffs and they have never lost a 2A quarterfinal game- Lynden by 14 (35-21)

ArchBishop @ Tumwater-
Tumwater because they always seem to win around playoff time- Tumwater by 4 (28-24)

Othello @ Prosser-
Othello because they have been dominant in every game this season, including the only loss of Prosser's season- Othello by 21 (35-14)

Capital over Burlington by 15 (35-20). I'll go with the group here, Van Sickle must be a beast!

Lynden over Sumner by 34 (48-14). 42-14 was too popular of a choice. LL games have become very predictable.

Tumwater over ATM by 8 (35-27). ATM has had a difficult year, internally, but have gotten well on lower teams recently. Don't know how good Bremerton was, but that was a good win. I think they have enough to keep this one close.

Othello over Prosser by 6 (34-28). I've seen Othello, and I would be the most shocked person on earth if they win it all. I'd rank them behind Lynden/Tumwater/Capital, at least. They do have good skill position players, and I would think they've been waiting to be in this position (to knock out Prosser) for a while. Closer score than the first meeting though.

Nice work Fever. You will be busy!
This post was edited on 11/15 5:09 PM by cougarhouse

Burlington @ Captial - Capital is on a roll of late although I think BE could surprise by keeping this close. Smallpox Says: Capital by 14 FINAL: Capital 35 BE 21

Lynden @ Sumner -
No stopping the Lions... not even a rain storm. Sumner will be glad to get this far, but Lynden has the speed and size to beat them running, passing, or both. Smallpox Says: Lynden by 28 FINAL: Lynden 35 Sumner 7

ArchBishop @ Tumwater -
The Rematch III. This is tied at 1 a piece in the last 2 playoffs. Tumwater looks great, but ATM is getting better. I don't think revenge plays into this game as much as some may think. Smallpox Says: Tumwater by 14 FINAL: Tumwater 35 ATM 21

Othello @ Prosser - I don't know enough about these teams other than they are perennially here in the playoffs. I am going with the ramdom method leading me to take it in alphabetical order. Smallpox Says: Othello by 14 FINAL: Othello 28 Prosser 14

Thanks Fever. Hope you have time to count these all up.... Oh, wait it is Thanksgiving, so maybe you have a couple of days off to do it!

This post was edited on 11/15 8:16 PM by Smallpox

Capital OVER Burlington Edison by 21 (35-14) - Strong power running game is what will carry them in the Semis.

Lynden OVER Sumner by 35 (42-7) Lynden by the better team well balanced with the run and pass pulls away no disrespect to Sumner but Lynden just too much.

Tumwater OVER ATM by 14 (28-14) - Game will be closer than most people think. Tumwater's talent gets them over the top.

Othello OVER Prosser by 7 (28-21) Will be closer than the first game. Still feel Othello's D should be able to handle Prosser's passing attacking and win. Best match-up of the quarterfinals.

This post was edited on 11/16 6:09 PM by Peteypab8

Capital over Burlington by 20 (41-21) Would like to see Burlington win this for the NWC, but I think Capitals physical style of play will be to much for the Tigers.
Lynden over Sumner by 34 (48-14) Lynden has been simply dominating on both sides of the ball since getting back to full strength after all of there early season injuries. The Lions have so many weapons to choose from on offense that their defense is often time over looked. Sets up a great semi-final match up next week in the dome.
ATM over Tumwater by 6 (27-21) Just a gut feeling and ATM seems to be playing with alot of pride since there troubles earlier this year.
Othello over Prosser by 6 (34-28) Don't know much about these teams other than Othello is supposed to have a great defense and Prosser a great offense. Othello won the first meeting so I guess that is the tie breaker for me.

Love the way this came together this week! Thanks everyone for chiming in on thoughts for the matchups. Looks like I am going to have to hire a statition this week to help update the standings come Monday however. Have a great weekend of playoff football everyone.

Capital OVER Burlington by 8 (28-20) - Burlington's defense has slowly been getting better in the 2nd half of the season. I know against a good Lynden running game, they made running the ball difficult for the Lions. They are going to have to do much of the same in order to contain Van Sickle, but in the end, I do not think they will be able to score enough.

Lynden OVER Sumner by 34 (48-14) - Lions are much too well balanced on offense, and Sumner is much to one-dimensional offense. Lions have experience in the playoffs, its been a long time since Sumner has been here. Biggest question will be, can Sumner score at all on the Lion's defense? My guess is the 14 points will be scored in the 4th, against Lynden JV.

Tumwater OVER ATM[/B] by 10 (31-21)[/B] - As noted by many, ATM has turned things around from the beginning of the year. Congrats to the kids and the players for righting the ship and getting some momentum late in the year. That said, one of the big reasons ATM was able to beat Tumwater last year, was the T-Birds inability to tackle ATM backs. I believe things are different this year, as Tumwater was one of the few teams able to keep Capital's Van Sickle somewhat in check. They rallied and tackled well in that game, and I think that will be the difference in this year's rematch in the playoffs.

Othello OVER Prosser by 17 (34-17) - I have not seen either team, but all that I hear about is Othello's balance on offense and stingy defense. That is a perfect recipe for a trip the the Semi-Finals.

This post was edited on 11/16 3:09 PM by football_fever3

Good win Mustangs!! Garza getting hurt, did change the complexion of the ball game...

This post was edited on 11/18 10:20 AM by sport11821

ADVERTISEMENT