ADVERTISEMENT

2A Dist. 4 results

Antediluvian

Jul 7, 2001
Results are at the link below...scroll to the bottom of the article for results listing.

Some thoughts after watching the meet in Woodland.

Stevenson girls looked powerful in taking the Dist. 4 2A title last night. The Hoquiam boys looked great as well.

Good to see Krystal Deo from Castle Rock qualify for state in a couple of events after having back surgery a month ago. The defending state champ in the 100, 200, LJ and 4x100 will get a chance to defend her titles in the LJ and 4x100.

Walker looked good in the boys sprints, but Dunn keeps improving. The boys 200 was decided by the lean. A great race!

The Porter sisters from Hockinson continue to re-write the record book. Both Sarah and Shannon broke (make that shattered) the existing district record in the 3200, with Shannon going down as the new record holder. Sarah avenged the loss to her sister in the 1600 a week ago, coming in just a second off the district record. Sarah also took the 800, with Shanon taking 3rd.

A surprise of sorts in the gorls 800 in that the Trico took all 4 top spots, leaving defending district champ Carly White out in the cold. Big time PRs for Sarah Porter, Natasha Buruse and Ashley Neff (Shannon Porter may have also PR'd in 3rd...not sure). The 4th place time of 2:27.5 was nearly the exact time of the winning time last year. Those times were good enough that if they were run at state last year, all would make the medal round on Saturday.

Condolences to defending HJ champ Calvin Garrett. After apparently winning again this year, he was DQ'd for wearing the wrong color shirt under his jersey. What's frustrating for him is he has worn the same shirt every meet this year, including subdistricts last week. The officials didn't originally DQ him. It was only after a complaint by a coach from a losing athlete. Yeah, it's the rules and I understand that, but it had absolutely nothing with the jumps. I gotta say that's one of the dumber rules in any sport. And I hope that coach can sleep well at night.

Interesting to see the two leagues compete together. The boys are definitely stronger in the Evergreen league (top two teams were Hoquiam and Elma). The Evergreen won all boys events excep the shot, 400, 4x400, and discus.

On the girls side, it's pretty much all Trico, with 5 of the top 6 teams being from the southern league. Hoquiam, at #2, was the only exception. The only events won by girls from the Evergreen were the pole vault, shot, javelin and the 4x200 (but only after Stevenson was DQ'd for passing outside the zone).

I'm sure that will continue to swing back and forth between the two leagues. It always does.

Good luck to all at state. Stay healthy and run fast, throw far and jump well!
This post was edited on 5/20 10:16 AM by Antediluvianif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Daily World article

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT