ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone Notice???????

chance44

Feb 10, 2006
So far there have been 3 Boys State Tournaments played and ALL have been won by private/recruiting teams.

B - Northwest Christian
1A- Bellevue Christian
3A- Seattle Prep with #2 O'Dea

Also the girls 3A winner Cheat Sealth

Time for WIAA to give them a new classification of their very own. Let them play in areas close to them and go to a State Tournament just for privates.

You can watch the 2A's too for Kings or Lynden Christian.

We must all "JUST PLAY FAIR" (choke, choke)

Couldn't agree more!!!!

I think recruiting is a huge problem in the WIAA. It's a joke that those schools get a chance to participate with schools that don't have the same advantage. The WIAA's motto "just play fair" is the biggest joke! These schools that have pure talent have to face a team that is pieced together for State title runs, how is that "fair?"

The WIAA is worthless and it's sad that it affects the lives of hard working HS athletes. Yes, it does, how do you think a bunch of kids feel after playing together since 4th grade come up and lose against a team pieced together in the last few years by recruiting.

Do you think Issaquah would have still lost to Cheat Sealth had Cheat not recruited???? EXACTLY!!!!

You have it right chance, put together a tourney stricly for private schools and let them have at it.

Re: Couldn't agree more!!!!

Totally agree, these private schools make me angry. its one thing that they even are in the same leage as regular schools and on top of that they play for the same state title, what a joke. it is nice to see regular nonrecruting/cheating teams contend with these all star line-ups. its great when the private schools lose.

Re: Couldn't agree more!!!!

Good to see others feel the same. Please, those reading, don't get me wrong by thinking I am saying that private schools are bad. They need to get attendance and fill the classrooms with recruiting and what not. No problem. It just doesn't seem "fair" when an O'Dea can have 600 plus boys and be classified a 3A with the same amount of bodys as another 3A w/ boys and girls... and the advantage of recruiting. Seperate tourney and a clue for the WIAA, that is what is needed. But hey, they are the ones that have to go to sleep knowing that the motto they use is a joke that causes them to get laughed at everytime it's mentioned.

Just a side note: Didn't a Sealth player get benched because of recruiting violations???? Wouldn't that mean that the "TEAM" is also in violation for the recruiting. Just a statement showing that the WIAA seems to have no backbone in creating a change. Oh well.

Re: More info please !

I cant wait until a public school wins it all. This recruiting stuff is bull-honkey. i wonder about that, that kid got benched for a recruiting vialation. That should affect the whole team, hmmm... anyone emailed the Wiaa about this and asked them what the deal was. I would like more information on this, someone find me an article or anyone on this violation. i am going to look also, i will post my findings.

5 Championships and counting - New Classification Please

It used to be that there were only a few private schools in the state but that number has skyrocketed. I understand their popularity and have no problem with the basic concept that they need to recruit students to survive as they receive no state funding. I understand that many excel in athletics or the Slick Watts, Nate McMillan, etc. would not be sending their kids to the same school. They probably deserve the reputations an O'Dea and Archbishop Murphy have gotten as super strong athletic programs BUT:

Postal is right on. Give them their own classification in state tournament competition. Let them compete against others during the regular season in their respective areas.

I was originally incorrect as I left out the State B Girls winner LaSalle . That's 3 State Tournaments and 4 Private School winners out of 6 - and one Cheat Sealth.

Congrats to the private schools on their strong programs but as Postal said, it is time for the WIAA to actively address the situation then everyone can "Just Play Fair"

5 Championships and counting - New Classification Please

Sorry about this - I went to edit and hit the wrong button-bad move.

It used to be that there were only a few private schools in the state but that number has skyrocketed. I understand their popularity and have no problem with the basic concept that they need to recruit students to survive as they receive no state funding. I understand that many excel in athletics or the Slick Watts, Nate McMillan, etc. would not be sending their kids to the same school. They probably deserve the reputations an O'Dea and Archbishop Murphy have gotten as super strong athletic programs BUT:

Postal is right on. Give them their own classification in state tournament competition. Let them compete against others during the regular season in their respective areas.

I was originally incorrect as I left out the State B Girls winner LaSalle . That's 3 State Tournaments and 4 Private School winners out of 6 - and one Cheat Sealth that's .....5 out of 6 and counting.

Congrats to the private schools on their strong programs but as Postal said, it is time for the WIAA to actively address the situation so everyone can "Just Play Fair"
This post was edited on 3/8 10:27 AM by chance44if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

"Senior Valerie Cook, a two-year starter who had 12 points in last year's title game, was declared ineligible Tuesday by the district and did not play at state."

This was taken from the article at the seattle times.

I believe if you search for that name, you will find all the information needed. :)

Another article.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002838308_sealth02.html

Enjoy!!!!

I emailed the WIAA and their answer was that the PLAYER was suspended and wouldn't be allowed to play for a year, but there is nothing in place for forfeiture of games for the team. So I guess the answer is that the player gets punished for the schools actions, and the school gets off scot free

Re: 5 Championships and counting - New Classification Please

ADD ANOTHER!
as Kings and Lyden Christian will be playing for the AA boys.

Possibly ANOTHER for AA girls, Kings and either Lyden Christian / EV will be playing for the championship.

I agree with you but it will never change!! Sorry to say we have too many public school that do almost the same, just not to that high of degree. Might as well join them if you have kids start hunting for good athletic programs and if the kids are good enough thier will be benefits!

Re: 5 Championships and counting - New Classification Please

I think my bottom line on this is not to accuse or judge, simply to acknowledge the growth in the number of private schools. Whether or not they are a power they now have the numbers to provide a tournament to showcase their talents.

We all watch in amazement as the Pros send their sons to private boys school O'Dea and the majority of the future pros seem to come from the gym of public high - Rainier Beach "with the exception of Blaine's Luke R". We are all aware of perennial powerhouses and applaud strong programs run by exceptional coaches.

But it may be time to ask the WIAA representatives to consider a separate tournament - they might welcome some relief from the questions they must have to address.....

Just want to clear up some incorrect info. that ive noticed in this thread: Slick Watts son (Donald) went to Lake Washington which is a public school, also there have been so many public school pros from this state (that didn't go to RB), why did you only mention Ridnour? Terry (Franklin), Dickerson (FW), Dickau (Prairie), Scalabrine (Enumclaw), Marvin (Bremerton)...etc., etc. I understand the point you people are trying to make but you need to get your facts straight.

OK : More info please !

I mentioned Luke because he is very visible - playing for the Sonics.

You are right about slicks' son Donald.......it is Nate's son

OK - I messed up on this computer.......Facts straight!

Luke was singled out because he is very visible - playing in Seattle.

Fact: Rainier Beach has produced Doug Christie, Jamal Crawford, and Nate Robinson for now.....with Terrance Williams, C.J. Giles, Lodrick and Rodrick Stewart and of course this years most visible potential Ryan Anderson waiting in the wings. Other public schools have on occasion produced one........you are right about that.

My misinformation,and fact correction...... Sonic players J.J. Johnsons' - son Mitch and Downtown Freddie Browns' - son Bryan as well as Nate McMillans' son went to O'Dea not Slick's.

But then again Jesus Christ (jim caviesel) transferred from Mt Vernon to play at O'Dea but wasn't good enough. Nate Burleson and Kevin Burleson went there too along with Fred Couples. Pretty good programs.

I think the link Postal91 presented is right on. Now if I could only master this stupid laptop with the stuck "caps lock" key. Sorry for the confusion.

Just go to the 2A Board now...

We are having this same discussion but more in depth. Might be worth your while to take a look.

Re: Just go to the 2A Board now...

nm
This post was edited on 7/7 11:06 PM by Pebble2if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Wipe the big ol' 'L' off'n your forehead.....

and quite your crying ya sore loser. Crikies, I hope your school isn't one of those moving up to the 2A board or we'll send your whiney arse whining to the soccer board where you can get some touchie feelie sympathy. Hey, call Dr. Phil and see if you can help you cope with being a LOSER. Gadz, squirt some more tears on my screen why don't ya. You dot your I’s with hearts and smiley faces don’t ya ya sissy girl.

"Private schools R soooo mean! They win and make us feel SOOOOO bad! It is all soooooooo unfair. Whaaaaaaaaaa!"

Here's what you do: Point out your right index finger and name it 'Boo'. With your left hand make an 'OK' sign. Now stick your right finger (Boo) back and forth through the 'O' in the 'OK' sign (hoo). Feel better now ya tantrum throwing puss baby?

As usual, pure facts are being ignored.

Are the private schools really dominating? Are the top-2 teams in the state basketball championships (or other sports) over the last four years for each classification usually private schools?

4A BOYS
ZERO out of eight schools were private.

4A GIRLS
ZERO out of eight schools were private.

3A BOYS
FOUR out of eight schools were private (3 of them O'Dea).

3A GIRLS
TWO out of eight schools were private.

2A BOYS
TWO out of eight schools were private.

2A GIRLS
THREE out of eight schools were private (2 of them were King's)

1A BOYS
FOUR out of eight schools were private (2 of them were Bellevue Christian)

1A GIRLS
ONE out of eight schools were private.

B BOYS
THREE out of eight schools were private.

B GIRLS
TWO out of eight schools were private (both St. George's).
==========================================================
Do the math. Only 21 out of the 80 schools in the state championship game over the last 4 years were private schools. Add the fact that 9 of the 21 finalists came from four perennially strong programs, and that seems to indicate that there isn't quite the problem you suggest.

I assume that your problem is that private schools win more. Well, here's more information that should set your mind at ease (but of course it won't). Of the 40 state basketball champions in the last four years, only 12 have been private schools. Again, you only need to look at strong basketball programs (O'Dea boys, King's girls and Bellevue Christian boys) to discover that there isn't the imbalance you think there is. Those great private school programs have combined to win 6 of the 40 titles. But public schools have won 28 titles during that time span! Seattle public school programs alone have won...SEVEN!!! Gee whiz, anybody want to whine about the fact that open enrollment gives public schools an advantage?

Now, let's look carefully at some other major sports for just this past season.

2005 FOOTBALL FINALS
10 public schools, 2 private schools (both lost, one of them DeSales)

2005 BASEBALL FINALS
10 public schools, 2 private schools (both DeSales, both won)

2005 SOFTBALL FINALS
12 public schools, 0 private schools

2005 VOLLEYBALL FINALS
10 public schools, 0 private schools

2006 WRESTLING (top-2)
10 public schools, 0 private schools
====================================
Please answer this question: Do you think that any of the 50 public schools in the above-mentioned sports ever complained about having to play the private schools in the state-playoffs after beating them? Not a bad record for the public schools last year. 50 wins, 2 losses (both to DeSales' baseball team).
====================================
Last point: If you think there is a huge problem with private schools and basketball, just look at the year before last.

In the 2005 state championship games, only 4 of the 20 teams playing for the title were private schools...and guess who three of those teams were: O'Dea boys, Bellevue Christian boys and King's girls.

Great logic. Penalize and segregate every private school in the state just because three private school basketball programs are good.

Thanks for listening.

Re: As usual, pure facts are being ignored.

Honestly how many 4A private schools are there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT