ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball League @ Quincy, Wenatchee & Brewster 3-8th Grade B-G

Mr. Sundome

Oct 6, 2001
On November 26th, AAU Basketball in the Wenatchee Valley will take a step in the right direction in bringing an organized League (Boys & Girls Grades 3-8th) to North Central Washington. From Orville to Quincy teams will play every Saturday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at different gyms throughout North Central Washington. Last year there were more than 3,000 members and 250 Teams from Wenatchee to Tonasket. This means it would be impossible for teams to drive three hours to Wenatchee every weekend for league ball. Which means every week there will be a north gym (Pateros/Brewster), south gym (Quincy) and central gym (Wenatchee) to help parents cut travel time.

There has been tremendous interest in this league before it hit the AAU web site @ www.ieaau.com by many teams from far south as Tri Cities and east as Grand Coulee. The Apple Valley League will start Boys & Girls at 3rd Grade and up to 8th Grade (sorry 9th Graders). Hopefully, next year we will have enough interest to move the start age to 2nd Grade and eventually get down to 1st Grade like the Spokane and Yakima Leagues. Many teams down in the valley use their league for prepping time for the tournaments(like a pre-season).

Hopefully, we will be able to get at least one team from each division: Wenatchee, East Wenatchee, Cashmere, Quincy, Ephrata, Leavenworth, Entiat, Manson, Waterville, Chelan, Pateros, Omak, Brewster, Methow Valley, Okanogan, Omak, Tonasket, Orville, Grand Coulee, Bridgeport, Mansfield and many other teams out of the area willing to drive to the South Gym(Quincy). If the league is able to get all 250 teams to enter this would bring roughly 20 teams per division. So get ready cause it’s going to be a lot of fun. By the end of this year we will have a website for coaches, parents, kids and officials to check out information about games. Another idea we are hoping to achieve is for every season to be able to get enough sponsors so we would be able to send the best players from each division to represent them during AAU National Tournaments throughout the summer.

Spread the word about The Apple Valley Basketball League...... it’s going to be fun for the kids!

For Information email leaguechamp@hotmail.com or go to www.ieaau.org for a entry form. The Cost for the League is $250 and each team will play a min. of 7 games.

Where have you been hiding? Glad to see you making a difference in the lives of kids. Sounds like a grand plan that you have up north.

Mr. Clank..... how have you been ????
Yes, it's going to be a copy of the yakima league...... now we can start these kids in 1st grade like the Valley kids...... which = alot more fun, gangs and state championships lol.

Will these be AAU "house teams" or tourney teams? I know there are local Nov/Dec tournaments that also will be held in the areas. How would that work? I love the idea though Mr Sundome! Great job.

I think this is a great idea. Wenatchee has an aau tournament for boys and girls grades 6th-8th Nov 11-12-13. 5th grade teams can play up in the 6th grade divison. You can go to the website www.ieaau.org to pull a entry from it.

All good questions.... After talking w/ several local AAU coaches.... didnt want to break up any touraments in the area.... so were going with a league start date of December 3rd for the league... the league will be 7 or 8 weeks long...... Dec 3,10,17, 24 off, 31 off, Jan 7,14, 21, 28th...... so there will be a two week holiday..... it's good to take a break in the middle of the league because some teams get tired and need a lil break. any other questions .... ???? Thanks for the input guys !!!

p.s. the league is really filling up rigth now.... it's going to be really cool to see organized league ball.

I applaud your efforts.... having coached AAU; traveled to various tournaments; staged tournaments & "leagues" I understand the pitfalls and rewards.... make it fun, lose the select teams and groom the local kids. Good luck..... and yes, I still owe you that Sundome burger.

I suggest we try and hold a meeting with area board members of AAU or Youth leagues or anyone who is interested in this and talk about this. I am all for this. We pick a date to meet, which would allow time to check gym availability at different schools and towns. We need to find out dates, times and etc. I believe there are gym cost in certain school districts which would need to be included in cost of entry fees. We would need someone in charge of officials. A lot of questions to be asked. I am willing to hold a meeting here in Wenatchee if need be or certainly willing to drive to another location. It seems Wenatchee is a central location for everyone. What does everyone think? We probably need to meet soon.

yes.... i have been talking to a guy from wenatchee ... forgot his name... i think his name is Ted Bryan.. not sure about that one though... but i would love to get your email or phone number so we could talk about this..... i'm trying to get a lot of support from the community w/ this. i've got the gyms reserved for 2 of the 3 towns... but need 4 gyms in Wenatchee..... YMCA has the gyms reserved..... but i'm talking w/ them about switching for other dates.

Ephrata, Quincy, Brewster, Lake Roosevelt, Moses Lake, Cashmere, East Wenatchee are putting in a lot of teams......... teams from the whole valley are getting into the league.... Wenatchee should be able to put in 2 teams for each Div. it would really help out the program to develop a good AAU program.... not for just wenatchee... but for all teams in the valley..... you can give me a call at 509-398-1044 or email me at leaguechamp@hotmail.com and i'll get back to you in hours.

What a terrific program. I only wish it was in place when my son was that age. My compliments to the organizers. Long overdue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT