ADVERTISEMENT

Best Pitchers West of the Mountains

SDJB2010

Mar 27, 2010
As a player in the Nisqually 1A league, we see some pretty good pitching. Three guys I would nominate are Wilkins from Orting, Cray from Chimacum, and Eric Bateman from Seattle Christian. I am interested to hear of other pitchers this side of the mountains though.

The Evergreen conf. is loaded with good pitchers. Monte has Riggie Hancock, Onalaska has Kyle Shepherd & Dalton Richey,Tenino has Josh Moss, Rochester has Chris Bishop who last year as a soph. had 74 s/o in 52 innings. Then there is always Nick Laroy of Kalama in the Trico conf.

LaRoy stuck out 17 in 6 innings Wednesday. It might have been 18 because the catcher missed the 3rd strike on a batter and he advanced to first but I think its still recorded as a strike out

That is a bold statement. What kind of speed does he have? Are you aware that there are many kids who throw over 90?

Maybe overly bold.

But yes, I'm aware of that. Just not sure there's a current H.S. player who can match LaRoy's resume.

I'm not speaking as a fan.

I'm just giving another opinion here. LaRoy deserves to be mentioned as one of the top pitchers in the state regardless of classification and a case can be made that he currently "is the best".

Pitching is more than just what a pitcher clocks on a radar gun. Movement, ability to work the strike zone, ability to throw multiple pitches for strikes, ability to get batters to swing and miss all go into the equation for what makes a great thrower. LaRoy currently has a very complete package. He is dominating the hs level this season. He is ready to move on and face PAC-10 hitters. Good call WSU coaching staff for identifying this quality pitching prospect.

Nick has a wicked sick curve and a change up that Ive seen batters swing at before the ball got to them, then he puts that fastball in and they swing after the catchers caught it. Nick does alot of his pitching with a great pitch selection, his movement and control are exeptional for hs, best in the state??? could be a good argument made for that. Ive watched Nick for 4 years now and I also watch a lot of high school baseball and I honestly can say theres alot of good pitchers out there this year. I havent had a chance to see Reyes pitch this year yet but he was smokin last year, Some maybe as good as Nick, better than Nick I havent seen one.
This post was edited on 4/10 1:13 AM by brader

I'm sorry, when I said many, it was not what I meant. What I meant was that there are quite a few kids that could easily be nominated. But honestly though, look at Kentlake. They have 3 guys that throw 90 for sure, and reportedly a fourth. Can he compete at that level of competition in 4A? I'm sure he can, but be the best. I don't know. I would have to see, before I could really say anymore.

Also, I realize that the radar gun is not nearly all that goes into pitching, its just a major part. I really would like to see him for myself, because I have heard nothing but good words about him.
This post was edited on 4/10 12:25 AM by SDJB2010

This is a topic that really has no definite way to calculate the answer. I will say Nick plays summer ball and plays with playrs from 1a thru 4a and some JC players and suffice it to say he does belong in the converstion about best in the state as do some others.
This post was edited on 4/10 1:20 AM by brader

How big is Nick Laroy? Is he a right hander or Left hander? Sounds like he has a scholarship to WSU.

Laroy is pretty good. And yea he is signed over here at WSU. gonna be a solid addition. Only thing i could see out of him is mentally. Does he have the mental toughness he needs? I know he has had some issues in the bigger games. Evidence says mindset issues.

What big games are you talking about...just curious...because the only big game i've seen him pitch was against a solid hitting Naches team that he just happened to no hit that day.

I've seen him throw twice. The last time was a 18 or 19 K performance in last years winner to state, loser out game against Rochester.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT