ADVERTISEMENT

Cashmere 68 Zillah 53

Cashmere led wire to wire and exposed the Leopards schedule in my opinion. The CTL is a much tougher league and had Chelan played Granger instead of a young Brewster team all 3 births would have been CTL just like the girls side. 5 out of 6 aint bad. Just one of those years. Cheer up SCAC, at least ya got 1? the NEA can't say that :) best of luck to all 5 CTL teams, show the state where we are!

They absolutley exposed the fact that Zillah was over rated all year long. They played in a very weak SCAC league, both East and West this year. This does not surprise me in the least bit.

The 16 team 4 day format was so much more enjoyable for fans, schools and teams involved.

Agree with Clawnk. For the first time in about 25 years I might not even attend a single tourney game. I couldn't care less about the 2A's. I sure miss the old format with 32 1A teams in the same building. Waaaaaaaa

Postman, is there one particular state regionals contest you missed that diminished your enjoyment of the upcoming games? I am not disagreeing with you that a 32 team format is better, but I'd like to understand the real pain point.

Here are some example cons and pros I just made up:
Cons:
Missed seeing quality players from a team like Zillah that is upset in a regional.
Seeding of the 16 randomly seems to de-emphasize the championship as the best game to see.
Shifts costs from the WIAA (1 day facilities rental) to schools West to East travel/accommodations, meals.
Half the teams that make State in regionals, miss the "going to state" experience. What does going to state now mean?
Statewide fans/sportswriters don't get to see my team/athlete who was knocked out at regionals.

Pros:
Less travel accommodations shuffling last minute when a fan of a team that goes home early.
Lower admission costs since WIAA saves facilities rental.
Saturday instead of Sunday championship game.
One step closer to matching football championship format.
Small towns like Lynden get to go to one destination and see their 1A/2A girls and boys games.

Thank you for taking time to make some comparisons.
1. There never was a Sunday Championship. 16 team Tournament ran Wednesday through Saturday.
2. I'm not sure I understand your cost saving explanation. I wonder how much Seattle Academy will save making two separate trips to Yakima. Did they overnight?
3. I've experienced "Going to State" and there's nothing quite like it. Going to "Regionals" is not the same experience.
4. I've been with a team that went 2 and out. You simply go back to the hotel, load everything up, and leave for home. If you are on the Consolation side of the bracket you play in the morning.

Sorry, if I was misunderstood, I was not making a real pro/con list, I just made up some examples on the fly. I hear rumblings about not liking the 8 team tournament format (read some here on this board) without listing the reasons why. I was hoping to inspire some others' thoughts to get posted since the topic came up.

@Warrent3, I beg to differ my friend and you may be to young to remember this, but back in the day when the 1A tourneys were held at UPS it ran from a Thursday - Sunday. I am talking 70's through the early 80's, before the move to the Tacoma Dome. I don't remember when it changed to a Wednesday - Saturday but I am thinking possible at the same time as the venue change. Hope you will come up and visit Clank and the rest of us in the dome on Thursday if you make it. Safe travels if you do.

What is most interesting is that I grew up in the Tacoma area.
smile.r191677.gif
While I was aware of the 1A tourney, I never visited. I went to the Tournament back in the dearly 90's at the T-Dome and it was Wed-Sat. I'm sure you would agree that if the WIAA ever went back to the 16 team Tournament it would be Wed-Sat.
We have our reservation, so I hope to see all of you.

This post was edited on 2/26 1:47 PM by Warrant3

I absolutly agree that if it ever went back, and I'm am confident due to the money issue of this current WIAA squad it will not, it would be a Wed-Sat tourney. I do believe the change happened due to the private schools and the issue of playing on Sunday's. Also, I tried to give you some props about your young age for all those that don't know you in here but you blew that out of the water. LOL. Take care.

Vadin -- The state basketball championships in Washington have always been on Saturday. I was 99% sure before I checked, but I did a quick survey just to verify since I grew up a State B fan and attended many of those as a kid. The WIAA records (which you can check on-line for yourself) show the 1A championship games for 68,72,76,78,79,80,81, and 82 games on Saturday.

FOH

@Fan, I must do some research for myself. I was sure my memory was correct. I still say I remember going to the UPS fieldhouse and watching state on a Thursday through Sunday. Maybe I am the one getting to old to remember. Looks like a retraction may soon be coming. Thanks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT