ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Movement????

B-E would be the Job I would want if I was a coach looking for a move..it is the Lynden of Skagit County. They always have talent, the booster club and fan support top notch, and some are born with those same Dutch genetics that the Lynden kids are blessed with...LIKE SIZE!!!!!!!

B-E fans are going to expect the new coach to WIN WIN WIN RIGHT AWAY!! Lots of talent coming back to the Tigers next year. Pat Murphy at Sedro Whoolley may try for a sniff but he only has one year as HC under his belt after taking the Cubs to one of it's best seasons in over 20 years.

Ferndale Fans wish they could move on from Plenkovich and the Stink T.. I think they are ready to modernize from the Vic Randall era that Plenko still coaches in.....well that is what it read like in all the comments made by th efaithfull under the Ferndale game articles in the B'ham Herald

I wouldn't be shocked to see the hire come from within. The district prefers head coaches to be district employees, which doesn't rule out an outsider taking a position, but may rule Murphy out. Who ever it is needs to get the kids back in the weight room. For what ever reason I hear that has dropped the past couple of years. The talent is there, but gotta hit the weights. Just my guess that Schearer lost some fire the last couple of years and the SR classes haven't had the leaders to get the others motivated.

Gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away - know when to RUN - "Kenny Rodgers"

Response to Old Shoes:
This post was edited on 11/22 9:32 AM by chance44
This post was edited on 11/22 9:33 AM by chance44

Wasn't Murphy on the B-E staff in the spring/summer last year? What happened there? One rumor I heard was the DC would be given consideration.

Also heard Anacortes will be open.

I too heard Murphy was there in the summer. No clue what happened, because the next thing I know he is at SW. If Sedro lets him leave after this year, I will be very surprised. They were competitive on all levels, something they have not for a long time.

I've heard that Murphy wanted more control over the defence than the HC was wanting to let him have. After camp they agreed to part.

BE chooses Herb Lehman. He is BE Class of '95 and an asst. since 2000. See Saturday's goskagit.com

He had some prior connections with Stanwood. Did not apply last time it was open, from what I heard, because they didn't have a teaching position. Maybe that has changed this time around.

I had not heard that Tinnerstet had left Sehome. Did I miss that announcement in the herald, or is this a new story? Why is he leaving?

That would be a great questions to have answered, as I know as you do. I saw the job posted on WIAA.com, but nary a peep from the Herald.

What was the state of the program, as I see that they finished 3-7?

There could be a major opening coming soon. Just heard coach from a major power in Wa is looking at a school in California

That would be Butch G @ Bellevue. It was reported in the Seattle Times as well as the LA Times that he did in fact apply to a school down in California. Could be interesting to see how that plays out.

correct, Had not read it in the paper just heard through coaching circles. Didn't want to put his name out if it hadn't been reported

Can't blame him for putting in at Orange Lutheran. Private school, coaching in the Trinity League, and at a school that can offer athletic scholarships and a stipend of 6 figures. (The Girls Golf Coach has a $15k stipend at OLu)

I personally thought that Sehome was making some definite strides forward under the Tinnerstet tenure. The records don't always show it, but from the few games I saw of theirs, they battled and played at a higher level then they have in past seasons.

Still have not heard a single thing about this anywhere though. I also went to see on the WIAA website and saw the position was posted, so he is obviously gone, but seems odd that no one has heard or reported about it. Any new news out there?

The Herald has now reported the Tinnerstet resignation. Family responsibilities seem to be the reason. Prayers with him and his family whatever the issues are.

King 5 TV reported that Bellevue's coach Butch G will stay at Bellevue
This post was edited on 2/18 9:28 PM by LW-Observer

Terry Dion- See today's Daily World. He was D-Coordinator at Aberdeen. He's a U of O grad and had a brief stint with the Seahawks.

Bellingham's Trainor takes over at Stanwood. Red Raiders posted today and reportedly will leave it open for 6-8 weeks before evaluating candidates.
This post was edited on 3/1 3:04 PM by fbsnoho

B'ham Herald story

Any news from Sedro or Anacortes? Sedro has been closed for two weeks and Anacortes has been open for months.

Not that this is necessarily the case, but usually when a posting is open this long, they are trying to attach a teaching position to it. I think it is by February that teachers let their districts know if they are a)not looking for a job elsewhere and are returning, b) Looking for work but likely returning, or c)they will definitely not be back. If they can't find a potential opening there, they have to look at budget/enrollment predictions and retirement declarations. Any way you look at it, it is a bad situation for the football program.

Cascade recently hired with a "teaching position to be named" for the chosen candidate. Smaller districts don't have that luxury.

Any way you look at it, though, they have waited too long. There are so many things that have already needed to be addressed in an offseason, such as lifting, equipment orders, staying on to of kids' grades, etc.

If either of those positions closed ASAP - Monday (4/9), the district would take days to review and invite for interviews, conduct the interviews, and make their selection (if the first person offered accepts), making the official decision - at the earliest - would be 4/20. That would only be 5 weeks until spring camp. That isn't much time for a new coach to come in and get ready.

I don't see either one doing this ASAP. We are 7 weeks from spring camp right now. The hiring process, once the position closes is usually about 2 weeks. Do the math. Every week that goes by handcuffs the new staff more. If we reach May, and they still haven't hired, the "joke show" chants can begin.

At this point, Anacortes, which has been open since January (or was it December?), has reached the "joke show" tipping point. With 5 weeks until spring ball, let's just say the pooch isn't screwed, but he's awful nervous. They have waited too long, and I might question the candidates that are left to evaluate. My guess: they hire someone who is already in the district and/or from the prior staff.

In the same vein, MVernon should act quickly. I think they even have a teaching possibility in district for the approved candidate. They should have already closed. And we are surprised when they have to hire every 3 or 4 years. Coaches are coming and going, but the admin is relatively staying the same. Starts to paint a pretty clear picture - a paint-by-numbers illustration of "why do we keep churning through coaches?" syndrome. To keep hiring the same way, usually in mid/late spring, the adage comes across very clear: Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

fbsnoho: Before you put your foot too far in, the reason AHS has not hired yet is that the AD has been fighting a medical issue. Heard this from a coach on the current staff.

I am sorry to hear that and will partially extricate my foot. However, business does need to move forward. It is the AD who initiates the hiring process, but very infrequently is it actually up to them in choosing the coach. If his health was that serious, and I hope he is faring better, than someone should have helped carry the load and move forward. At this point of the year, the pool of available coaches is shallow, as they are taking various positions at other schools. If football was a priority, and the AD is having to focus on getting well, than someone at the district or school administration should have helped carry the load.

ADVERTISEMENT