ADVERTISEMENT

District 1 Playoffs................

Warrant3

Dec 15, 2006
I watched both games at Mt Vernon last night. By the way, the gym remodel looks very good. In the first game Sehome pounced early with their trademark trapping press, and by the time Cedarcrest got things going they were down 17-0. The Red Wolves looked at times like they were going to claw all the way back but Zach Taylor was in foul trouble the entire game and it really hurt their chances. Taylor had 15 points in the first half but only played a total of 2+ quarters the entire game. Sehome had no answer for the nifty senior. While Sehome played well, they did have one player who was out of control for much of the game. In a closer contest it could have been disaster.

In the second game Sultan outplayed Anacortes through most of the first half. Sultan led at the end of the first quarter and led through most of the second until D'Amelia hit a trey with 2 seconds left in the half to give the Seahawks a 3 pont lead, 29-26. In the second half Sultan couldn't hit a lay in and Anacortes began to assert themselves. I believe the final was the biggest lead in the game (not certain).

The matchup between Anacortes and Sehome is an interesting one. I could see it going either way. The Seahawks were the #2 team in our Conference virtually the entire season, yet recently have been inconsistent. Sehome which finished as the #3 see and the 4th best team in the Conference has been improving steadily. Anacortes just lost a home playoff game to Burlington, the #4 seed and #5 team in the NWC, while Sehome beat the same BE team at Burlington a week earlier. Keep an eye on point guard Matt Aldridge for Anacortes. If he plays well they will be tough. If he struggles so will Anacortes. With Sehome it's about their pressure. If the officials let them play, the Mariners will be in the game in my view. If they call the game tight, it could be a long night for Sehome.

I like both teams, I like both programs, and I like both Head Coaches. Sehome has been close the last 3 years only to have Anacortes spoil their dream a couple of those times. I'd like to see the Mariners get a shot to move on, but will be pleased for either team to win.

ADVERTISEMENT