ADVERTISEMENT

Granger VS East Valley Very impressive

box-n-one

Feb 6, 2006
I see the inevitable 2009 1A state champions Granger girls squad schooled up 2A East Valley in convincing fashion.

Two programs that obviously have gone entirely different directions, simply is fascinating the transformation of these two teams in the past 5 years.

A pre-celebratory congratulations to you Granger girls.

I think your feelings for one Coach Raab cloud your critical thinking skills. I wouldn't say that EV is in the crapper because they lost to a Granger team that has five four-year varsity contributors plus one very good junior thrown n there, and also a team that will certainly compete for the Gold Ball. I would be quite proud of any team who comes within 5 points of them. Although I'm sure you were hoping for a loss and your posting was premeditated.

Also, as much as I think of Affholter as a coach, ths group of girls gets at least 80% of the credit for their success. They have had much success even before they came under Affholter's tutelage. "total different directions"? I think not. EV is in a very tough league, but let's not write them off just yet.

Congrats to the Granger Girls! The EV girls only scored 35 pts, must have been some great defense? Cause EV has a high octane Offense that usually puts up some big numbers.
smilie2.gif

Granger girls play hardnosed defense. Last year they held 14 of their 20 opponents under 40 points. Six of those scored only in the 20's. What I'm getting at is if you're trying to diminish the EV program then this is not the game you want to use as an example. Granger is as good as any opponent you will face this year.

I'm curious to know if this game was good defense, or the result of two opposing coaches trying to score in particular sets down the floor.
Neither team is one to really push the tempo in a game, and Affholter seems to have most of his game scripted out before hand.
I'm not saying that they don't play good defense (both teams), but I think
this game might have been one of those that you can call a "chess match."

Watching some tape of the game, it was a bit of a chess match. Neither team pushed the ball but both teams pressed for what I watched of the game. Affholter does have his game plan scripted if you've ever seen him looking at his note card you know what I'm talking about.

Well Mr. Money, I am curious as to why you would say my thinking skills are skewed, “Fascinating”

Yet but as a North Country person one would lend the critical gray matter thinking skills as such.

When you have a 1A school beat your 2A school a perennial power house it makes one raise an eyebrow. Its human nature, Prosser a 2A school got beat by a 3A West Valley team. On and on, you get the pattern

Now I know that Granger is going to be, and in fact is a very very good team this year, I watched that group compete last year in the Sundome for State,

But yet for a larger school to get beat by a smaller school, well I’m sure the taste in there mouth is short of sour grapes.

In essence nothing more and nothing less in terms of personal dissatisfaction of who where our how any program is run ----end of conversation,

Personally I think Prosser, Wapato, Grandview and Othello are going to have great squads in the 2A ranks, we will see as the season progresses.

It will be a great season to watch basketball girls and boys alike.

And by the way, My wish to everyone Please Have a safe and wonderful Christmas cherish your friends and family.

There's nothing unusual for an elite team in any classification to be able to compete with the best teams in the next class up. Examples: laSalle girls bball could easily compete with any 1A school, even Granger, and I'm sure would have several 1A trophies if they were 1A. In fact LaSalle would be competetive in 2A-no question. Granger girls would place high in the CWAC this year. The best EV teams of recent years would have been a top 3A team. Let's see how it plays out.

And if you think it's all about coaching then watch how far and how fast the Granger girls fall next year and look at zillah boys of the last 2 years. It mostly comes down to the athletes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT