ADVERTISEMENT

hate to say it but...

backer30

Oct 30, 2003
I told you so! so many people argued with me but Darrick Green turned out to be the state champion and yet so many argued Marquez would take him. Congrulations Darrick on a great season!

Derrick Green showed up and wrestled that weekend. He deserves to be State Champion. Izzy and Marquez faltered. You know as well as I do that Green Marquez match would have been a great match, but it did not happen. I am sure Marquez is ok with that as he had the chance to redeem himself on Saturday and beat both Torres and Collins who beat him on Friday. There has to be a 'what if' feeling in both their guts, but that is what happens in our sport if you are not on the top of your game for that weekend. Green being the competitor I know he is, probably feels a little empty that he did not have the chance to redeem his only loss for the season. Marquez being the competitor I know he is probably feels a lot more empty not having the chance to prove that he could beat him twice. Bottom line... didn't happen...Green is the Champ, but it has nothing to do with the fact that he beat Marquez, no matter how you look at it.

True maybe Darrick does wish he got to wrestle Marquez but i dotn think there was any stopping Darrick on achieving his goal, yes it would have been a battle but Green pulled through beating Torres and also pretty much controling the whole match. I THINK Green showed he was the better wrestler at the state tournament and did what he needed to do to prepare.

no argument there. but you still have to wonder, what if.......
But I hear ya, I am sure there are hundreds of other guys and girls that wrestled at State who are saying, what if!!!I hear Marquez is freestyling, maybe they will see each other.

Tell it like it is!!!

You are simply telling the truth there backer30. I have known Green since he was in 2nd grade and he definately earned his spot at the top of the podium through dogged determination and excellent skill. Obviously Marquez had a great year and has a tricky style but after it was all over, he did not finish on top. It seems to be overlooked here that Torres was the 1A 215 pounder being touted as the man to beat leading up to the Classic (he was ranked 6th in the "all classifications" rankings on the Gilbertson website and was the only 1A wrestler in those rankings just prior to state) but Green won that match-up and took care of business through to the finals. In short, Green won the matches that counted! The record book will always read "1A state champion 215 lb weight class, 2007: Darrick Green". Nothing more, nothing less. Congratulations to all state participants.

Re: Tell it like it is!!!

and Marquez beat Torres, as well..it just shows how skewed the rankings are.

Re: Tell it like it is!!!

This is just my opinion, but I think Marquez could've done it, it was just a matter of style. He ran into the tall lanky but strong Mike Collins of Castle Rock, and lost by a point. He wins that match, he goes back to wrestling the short stocky guys and kicks their butts. Once again, just my opinion.

Marquez turned around to beat Collins for 3rd at the end of the day. Way to get back mentally.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT