ADVERTISEMENT

Holy Names Stays perfect

wasports

Jan 7, 2011
The #1 Cougars left no doubt as they consistently adjusted to the Falcons stingy defense. The Cougers used their size and a steady man to man defense to shut down the inside without leaving the Falcons open beyond the arc. The game plan earned Holy Names their first state title and a perfect season. Well done.
This post was edited on 3/6 2:01 PM by wasports

They were the best team in the state, Prairie with their entire team was probably the second. I am shocked you did not go after HNA for their recruiting!!
This post was edited on 3/7 12:29 PM by statewide

Not long ago I was set straight by some blogger on this site. I now know that recruiting does not happen in Washington high schools. What a relief to know that!

yep, kids gravitate to the good programs whether you call it recruiting or something else but at least with a public school, they actually have to move into the school district boundaries. That is a big commitment by a family. That doesn't have to happen with a private school and that is why back east, private schools, mainly Catholic, have their own leagues and all is fair. Not the same setup in Washington and Oregon. Funny how often Jesuit in Beaverton ends up at the top in many sports. And that big post you mentioned for Prairie ended up at Central Catholic.

Statewide, your entire post is correct except for the bit about Emily Rowe. She went to St Mary's in Portland not Central Catholic.

Prairie just wasn't the right fit for her I guess....

It is only a requirement to live in the district for the first school year. 8 months rent of an apartment which is probably cheaper than driving accross town!There are lots of "Lyles" that direct these kids in a certain direction as well. It's not as clean as the rules indicate. The intent is good but it is not enforced. And no, not refurring to Rowe.
This post was edited on 3/7 5:39 PM by wasports

oops, but my point is the same as she goes to a private catholic school after being "recruited" by Prairie. :)

The rules, whether clean or not clean, do not apply to all schools equally. Private school, round em up. Public school, you have to be alot closer to the rules.

Yeah, the boundary rules are pushed on a daily basis. I won't include names, but I know of at least two families in the Hockinson area who live 20 minutes or more away from Hockinson but are eligible in the district without boundary exceptions... just because they bought a cheap house in a neighborhood in the Hockinson boundary... where it sits, and is vacant. Very smart move from wealthy families, no? Technically isn't breaking the rules.

The rule states "where the family unit resides". Wealth is irrelevant. The vacant house situation is testament that enforcement is of no concern.

Wealth is very relevant... should it be? No. But it is..... Not many families can afford to buy a house and keep it lit in a neighborhood just so they can attend a school. They have dinner at the house once a week so neighbors see cars in the driveway here and there. Wealth has a lot to do with getting away with stuff, wasports... again, it shouldn't be that way, but it is.

......Not to mention their actual house is in a gated community and five times the size of the neighborhood house.....
This post was edited on 3/7 7:18 PM by HockSports

Most transfers are not from wealtthy families. Maybe you know of one, bust most are not and rent. The are trying to get themselves in the beat position they can to be recruited by the next level.

I know of several, actually. Obviously not all of them are wealthy, but what I'm saying is that for those who are, they have easy ways to cheat the system. Easier, I should say. People get very tricky with those little loopholes and such

Well at least privates don't cheat like the publics do.

Bull, the rules are exactly the same for publics and privates. The only difference is 50 miles vs. district boundaries and that is so over blown... guess any excuse is better than admitting your kid and the people in your program don't actually work as hard or as efficiently as others...

WIAA Handbook; Eligibility: http://www.wiaa.com/ConDocs/Con358/Eligibility.pdf

Now they aren't enforced equally. IF a private did what some publics did there would be an uproar complete with torches and pitchforks.

You know the difference between a WIAA hardship waiver and an NCAA scholarship? The NCAA regulates the number of scholarships allowed. And BTW, all those public transfers where one parent rents an apartment? Yah, those are a huge rule violations. To quote:

"A student whose transfer is based on a bona fide and immediate change of residence to a new school (district) due to an actual physical relocation of and with the entire family unit to a different residence and preceded by termination of all occupancy of their previous residence."

Maybe we public folks should tend to our own ethics glass house before we start casting excuse stones around.

Re: Well at least privates don't cheat like the publics do.

Agreed.
The private's may not admit that they recruit, but they don't deny it. Many of you folks that try to sell the idea that the publics don't recruit are in denial or have an interest to protect.
Open enrollment is the only solution due to the fact that the WIAA doesnt seem to carry enough weight (or the will, not sure) to enforce the current rules.
Unenforced regulation is worse than no regulation at all.

"The private's may not admit that they recruit, but they don't deny it." Really, I was not aware of this fact you throw out. Such wisdom this morning.
This post was edited on 3/14 11:12 AM by statewide

So does Colfax take advantage of this 50 mile boundary?

Sorry SW, my point is that the privates business is based on recruits and the public's will deny that they recruit until the bitter end. Look at some of the top programs in Oregon and WA. Many have youth programs yet most teams play multiple recruits, I mean transfers, sorry. How do you think this effects the interest level in their youth programs? When the kids start working their tails off in 5th grade, play club ball and then when it comes time for HS, they bring in recruits to play! Over time, this has erroded the overall interest in these programs. One every now and then is tolerable. The programs have found it to be easier
land 2-3 top ready-to-play-players than running youth programs. They have also figured out
that if they land them coming out of 8th grade that they are not high on the radar. The
downside to this is that it effects the moral of the student body in a not so good manner and results in a low following.
This post was edited on 3/14 6:34 PM by wasports

Nope Colfax can't get kids from that far, most kids have to have the mule back on the farm before dark and with no daylight savings during basket ball that's a tough deal so we don't get many from much past Cashup Flats.

A couple ten Colfax kids attend Pullman though but not many of them are athletes.

I'm a big supporter of open enrollment but I don't believe in vouchers for private schools.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT