ADVERTISEMENT

Is Prairie the best program all-time?

LeadTommie

Mar 8, 2002
It comes down to Columbia River vs Prairie for the best all-time state tournament performance in the state's top classification. Each has 7 appearances. Each has 23 wins. Columbia River has three championships, Prairie, two. Prairie has two 2nd place finishes. Columbia River has a 3rd, and a 4th. Prairie has a 4th and two 5ths. Since moving down to 3A, Columbia River has added three more wins, and 2nd place finish. Does that count for anything? Would they have competed as well against 4A teams? They may have, if Skyview had never been built.

What this really shows is the incredible talent in SW Washington. Just think about Prairie down to their last out against Battle Ground and the fact that Prairie finished behind Skyview and then thay go on and convincingly make a run through to the championship.

By the way, I would vote Columbia River the premier athletic school in SW Washington. They have done well in every single sport they play. Basketball, football, baseball, softball, volleyball, really an amazing display.

PS my kids went to Prairie.

Oh yes. Prairie is amazing, and they just keep getting better. They won the 4A State Championship this last year, and although they lost some talent, they've got some more talent to back it up. Emily Robertson was a great player. They will return to the state tournament this year I'm sure.

For big schools I agree. But what about these smaller schools - Toledo, Montesano, Hoquium. Montesano's record is better than Prairie's at the state level.

Hockinson softball is not too good and they tied Prairie. But the game was also called so Prairie didn't have a chance to finish them off.

I don't think Prairie's going to repeat their state title but you never know. I remember last year they had some losses to smaller schools in their state title season.

Mikejones,

The game was actually called off by the Prairie coach. If you were there, you would have noticed that Hockinson would have finished off the defending 4A champs! The Hawks tied the game in the top of the 7th inning and held Prairie in their bottom half of the inning. Momentum was clearly on their side when Prairie did not take the field to start the 8th inning. They should have won by a couple of runs, but due to bad luck some runs did not score earlier in the game.

Hockinson softball good? Went to districts their first year ever with 9 of 14 girls who NEVER played the game before! The last two years they missed post season by one game. Might ask around Hockinson about the team, they are better than YOU give them credit. A real fan of the Hawks would know the facts.
This post was edited on 3/24 5:38 PM by sw2aif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}
This post was edited on 3/24 5:38 PM by sw2aif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}
This post was edited on 3/24 5:39 PM by sw2aif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

That was a poor choice for a phrase. 'Not too good'. I do not mean Hockinson's bad. I am merely saying they are not a state champion team, and they haven't been. This shows how Prairie's program has slumped for this season. Hockinson IS better this year, but I still remain firm that they are not a state tournament team, especially with the loss to La Center. But, as a I said in the last post, teams can come out of nowhere and be surprising.

And yes, Hockinson had momentum, they may have taken down the Falcons, had the game not been called. But momentum can be killed. And changed. Very easily. Good job to the Hawks though, it was a very fun game to watch.

And I also must add that their chances for state that may have been there this year have been completely pulberized by the new league and the new classifications. Many incredible former 3A teams are in the league and in the classification, and Hockinson WILL have a great deal of trouble with Mark Morris, and some of the other bigger schools.

It's tragic, the Hawks are a decent team and I've seen some great enthusiasm. But sometimes it takes more than that.

You can thank most of the coaching staff and administration for opting up to 2A when they could have stayed at the 1A level. Most sports could have have a great year competing at State. Heck some might have won it all! Now they must face schools twice their size. Some with exceptional post season traditions.

Your clarifications are noted.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT