ADVERTISEMENT

James Vela

johnhfan

Feb 22, 2006
James should have been a track finalists for the Yakima Herald; he is a state champion in two events. Was he overlooked? He is a tremendous athlete and an even finer young man. Good luck in whatever endeavor you choose.

I can't beleive he didn't win the overall athlete of the year award. Not to take anything away from Kellen Moore, but Moore did win the football award as he should have. Overall in my mind is your accomplishments in multiple sports. Not too many athletes make three all conference teams anymore. James not only did this, but was also league MVP in both football and basketball, all state football and basketball by associated press, he was selected for both sports all state games, and won two state championships in Track. That sounds like more than enough criteria to win an overall athlete award. He also led Grandview to its first ever playoff wins in football, helped capture a fourth place team trophy in track, and led the basketball team in scoring, rebounding, and assists. I know I am definitely biased, but come on when do we ever see these kinds of accomplishments in a three sport overall athlete. Again, I do congratulate Kellen Moore, 66 touchdowns and a championship are impressive, and he definitely deserves the football award, but James Vela is definitely the 2005-2006 overall male athelte of the year in the Yakima Valley.

If you have a son, you want him to be like James Vela. Having coaching him and had him as a student I can tell you that there's a lot more to him than just sports. He'll do well at UW.

I agree with James Vela being overall athlete. He not being nominated for track or any other sport is an outrage. I think the same thing happened last year though, with Duran Torrez. They are going for overall athlete, and Matt Snell got it who was excellent in football and very good in track. not to take anything away from him, but Duran was All state football and basketball, league mvp (defense for football) in football and basketball, and took 5th in state in golf. that's an overall athlete! nice year james v.!!! 3 sport standouts should be the winners i think, but cant go wrong with snell and moore!

Actually, James was nominated for both football and basketball, but ironically not track, the sport he won state championships in.

It just goes to show you that the people that write about sports generally know the least about them. The AOY awards are simply the opinions of a few sports writers and nothing more. I hope the athletes who did not win their category will not base the success of their seasons on what a few guys think. The die hards who follow these prep athletes and the athletes themselves know who the true winners in each category should have been.

Very well said everyone! James is a special kid who is blessed with an abundance of athletic ability. Overall...he's my Athlete of the Year for Washington High School Preps, regardless of classification! He's left NO doubt in my mind! I told him the other day that he will be my favorite Husky regardless of what he pursues at Montlake.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT