ADVERTISEMENT

Kings tops District 1 over Meridian 59-34

FilmDoesn'tLie

Oct 11, 2012
Corey and Calvin Kispert team up for 17 & 8 points respectively to defeat Meridian led by Alex Martin and Blake Briones who both had 14.

meridian impressed. disciplined and solid in all phases. kings just wore them down with their depth and tenacity.

yes, "impressed." meridian came out and played strongly for the first quarter and a half, made a run to get it to 5 in the third quarter even though they shot badly, and then just ran out of steam in the face of the pressure defense kings played and got outscored 32-12 to end the game. would not be surprised to see them in the final 8. their path there is as easy as anyone has.

Getting outscored 32-12 is a strange definition of "impressed." Not sure I have ever heard it spun that way. :)

OK, smallpox, so you're a meridian fan. what did you see? just the final score? they never really threatened and were not going to beat king's, but they didn't fold either. they just got worn down by a team with a deep bench after a huge upset win against an arch-rival. I see them making the final 8

I could certainly see them getting through the Tri-District. I don't know who they would face in a Regional matchup. I will say this - when they played L.C. they showed some grit. It was a very physical game. Meridian was down by 10 points, 32-22, in the second half. They came back to win with tough defense and timely shooting.

Vashon, UPrep and Lynden Christian are really good teams and also capable of finding their way into the top 8. When the music stops after tri-districts there are only 3 chairs left in the bottom bracket that move on to a regionals seed. With 4 top 20 teams and potential for those pesky upsets, we will not see some teams in the dome that seem good enough to make it. We will know a bit more about SW teams after the d4 results tonight, but they seem to be beating up on eachother. One of the league champions will also have to face LaSalle or a low possibility of even Zillah.

The only thing that I said was it is hard to use the word impressed when outscored 32-12 to end the game. Kings was better, that is all there was too it. As far as getting into the regional round, they have a shot at it. It is too early about talking about the final 8. I want to wait to see if they make it to the round of 16 first.

I have not seen Meridian play, but it is not a stretch to think they could make the final 8. They get a manic Seattle Christian team (beat Cedar Park on the road, lose to Eatonville at home) on their home floor. If they win that one, they then face a Uprep team with a great record, but few wins against top tier teams, or Friday Harbor -- both seem winnable for a team that beat LC on their home floor. A win there gives them a chance against the District #4 1 or 2 seeds -- neither of which will be the most consistent team from the south, Kalama, who got beat last week.

It is not a stretch to say they have a decent shot at the final 8. HOWEVER, overlook anyone in the Tri-District at your own peril. Over the years I have seen plenty of teams not make it to regionals (or state) when they lose to a team they beat during the regular season. There are still plenty of teams in the Tri-District who can play with anyone on a given night.

FOH

I agree with FOH that Meridian looks in good shape going into their next game or two. I don't think I would bet the bankroll if they line up against Defending State Champion Toledo in the regional. Woodland is the other team playing for the D4 Championship.
Just for the record, I'm not an L.C. fan. If Meridian makes the final 8 I'll tip my hat to TDF for the prediction.

This post was edited on 2/19 8:04 AM by Warrant3

Anything can happen on any given night when you are not at home.

You cannot overlook the teams down south. Kalama is playing with determination right now. Toledo is peaking at just the right time and obliterated Elma last night (uncontested threes by Glenn wood). They are packing their playoff venue with huge crowds. Woodland's performance last night looked beatable by a number of tri-district teams, but that is a tough road trip and it is hard to see from one night. They have some great shooters and exploited some mismatches.

Minor nit: Seattle Christian"s win over Cedar Park Christian was a home win for them. (You made me dig out a repressed memory to recall that)

I would also say that the games at probably Jackson pairing Tri-D #1 and #3 and D4#3 and #4 look to be as tough as any regional venue. because of upsets down there, there is a good chance that matchup will be the #1 from eitehr Nisqually (CPC) or Emerald City (Seattle Academy) vs TriCo #1 Kalama and Cascade #1 (Kings) vs. Evergreen #1 Hoquiam. Brutal.

Originally posted by FilmDoesn'tLie:

Anything can happen on any given night when you are not at home.

You cannot overlook the teams down south. Kalama is playing with determination right now. Toledo is peaking at just the right time and obliterated Elma last night (uncontested threes by Glenn wood). They are packing their playoff venue with huge crowds. Woodland's performance last night looked beatable by a number of tri-district teams, but that is a tough road trip and it is hard to see from one night. They have some great shooters and exploited some mismatches.

Minor nit: Seattle Christian"s win over Cedar Park Christian was a home win for them. (You made me dig out a repressed memory to recall that)

My bad -- a late entry from memory....I should know better than to trust my memory at my age....

flush.r191677.gif

Hoquiam was scrappy and quick. Nelson was aided by what was probably a career best performance by Steen, a freshman worth watching in the future. Their big guy had two spot on accurate full court transition passes. But yah, they stand little chance against TriDistrict champion this year. Brutal as in Toledo Elma brutal.

Not sure why you think Jackson as a venue though True #1s are placed at closest available site not home court.

FDL: under the new wiaa guidelines, heard the three possible gyms for Tri-D were Mt Vernon, Jackson and Glacier Peak. since no NWC teams in top 3 seeds, i'm guessing mt vernon being bumped for either GP or jackson. make it easier for the D4 guys traveling as well. jackson is just a guess, but one of the 4A true #1s is likely to be jackson, so they can't play there, making it more likely for other true #1s in other classifications.

FOH, I thought I'd give you deserved credit for the total accuracy of the rest of your post after last night's games. Lot's of wisdom there.

"HOWEVER, overlook anyone in the Tri-District at your own peril. Over the years I have seen plenty of teams not make it to regionals (or state) when they lose to a team they beat during the regular season. There are still plenty of teams in the Tri-District who can play with anyone on a given night."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT