ADVERTISEMENT

Lynden Christian tops Lynden............

Warrant3

Dec 15, 2006
L.C. continues to improve. Last night they knocked off #2 ranked 2A Lynden 48-39. I honestly thought that Lynden's size would create bad matchups for the Lyncs, but they came out with great intensity, built up a big lead, and hung on down the stretch. Very impressive win.

I made my annual trip for this one. I had heard so much about the size and talent of Lynden. Warrant I agree the LC kids played with a lot of intensity. Hit some tough shots and hung on hitting some key FT's. Their defensive plan was sound and the players seemed very disciplined. I think this team continues to fly under the radar after all the injuries and the huge loss of graduation. They might make some noise as they have played some of the states toughest 2A teams and held their own. They are an interesting follow to say the least. We will see how tough they are with the 1A's with Friday Harbor and Meridian coming up.

Not knocking LC's win, but I am thinking that Lynden isn't quite the team as the past few years. Warrant, what do you think? I guess one could say that LC is also down after the last few years, too. I do know that LC almost beat Lynden at Lynden last year.

Also, I wonder how good LC would/could have been with those injured players playing.

I'm not that impressed with Lynden this year. As a whole, the NWC 2A's are the weakest group I can remember. Having said that, I wouldn't be shocked to see one of them squeak into the State Tournament.

If LC had Hommes and Mellema, I wouldn't be surprised if they were undefeated. I wold imagine they would have been the team to beat in the Tri District. Just judging from their scores, they seem to be a scrappy team with talent that is getting better, though it sounds like the NWC isn't as strong at the 2A level based on some of the comments I've read, so hard to get a bead on any of those teams.

Will be interesting to see the LC/SW result tomorrow night. Top 2 teams in the league.

Warrant3 you and I do not disagree much. Have you seen the rest of the state at the 2A level? Down year all over. Don't be surprised if 3 make it to the dome. The 2A teams are better than you think. I predict 2 NWC teams in the final 4 once again.

I realize I've had some pretty strong opinions about the NWC this season, but that's what I have seen. Last year's Lynden team would have crushed this group. The same goes for Anacortes, although they can be sneaky good when at their best. I haven't seen any other teams in 2A other than the NWC. You may very well be correct about the rest of the State, but I don't think I'm wrong about the quality in the NWC when compared to other years. I hope 3 teams do make it. It's always more fun when we have multiple teams to root for. Just curious how many 2A teams you've had a chance to watch? Have you seen Pullman, Clarkston, Bremerton, Grandview, Fife, etc?

I certainly respect your opinion, and would welcome being proven wrong.

This post was edited on 1/28 4:59 PM by Warrant3

Warrant3 I really don't completely disagree with your opinion that the NWC might be a bit down in comparison to some years. But I think that would apply to most every league at the 2A level. For this reason I still believe that 2 teams may make the final 4. Now my opinion on that may be altered based on the severity of the injury to the Hastings kid from Lynden, I have seen some but not all the above teams play. Pullman is good but not as strong as a year ago. Grandview would finish middle of the pack in the NWC. When they played Burlington I thought Burlington was better. Lake Washington is very good. Could be my favorite from the NW district.

Now back to the 1A. I do think what Lynden Christian has done this year is nowhere short of remarkable. I don't care how down the league is. Name another 1A league in the state where on at least 8 nights you better bring your very best or get knocked out. I don't think they are anywhere close to the best team in the state but they have proven on any given night they can compete with most.

2old4this: I am confused by your post. You say NWC 2A is down this year, but then say LC has to bring their A game against 8 teams. I assume those 8 teams are the NWC 2A and Ferndale? If they are down this year, why do they need to bring their A game? I have seen LC play and they are good , no doubt, but they don't seem as good as they were last year. So if they are leading the NWC outright, maybe it's just a weak league from top to bottom? not as weak as the cascade conference is, but still weak.

I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability as I don't think it is as confusing as you think.

I stated above that I don't completely disagree with Warrant3 that the NWC is down in comparison to some years. I think there is some validity in his statements. That in no way however makes the conference "weak". LC did beat first place Nisqually CPC. I would ask Sumner and White river how "weak" they think Lynden is when even with FB legs they still topped both of them. Ask top 5 ranked Grandview who squeaked by Burlington in Grandview's back yard and Burlington will not qualify for District in the NWC. Sehome handily beat Cashmere and Brewster. Lynden beat King's by 8. Sedro Woolley beat Sultan by 25. These are just examples that back my opinion that the conference can't be that bad overall. " Down" may be accurate by NWC standards but not in comparison to the rest of the state nor any other league in the state.
LC is not nearly as talented as they were a year ago which was actually my point. Yet they are 9-1 in a, still in my opinion, tough conference. But I in no way have all the answers and am merely a casual observer who loves basketball. I just don't see many conferences who have a 9th place team the caliber of a Burlington Edison. Please let me know which conferences you think are and I'd love to go watch. Do you believe Chimicum is? Eastside prep? Forks? Royal? Naches Valley? I have seen most of the teams and I still believe LC has to get up for more games than any other conference in 1A.

My statements don't reflect some emotional tie to the LC or the NWC. I love all basketball and watch my fair share. I just wanted to point out a teams accomplishments for the season. I have made no claims the LC is the next state champ. I am just impressed with everything that has happened to that team that they have won any NWC games let alone be on top.

My picks are still King's and Okanogan for the 1A's. 2a's are a toss up. May be a Pullman Anacortes rematch.

I did misquote the one part of my other post. I think LC as undertalented as they are probably needed to bring their A game on 11 occasions not just 8.

Feel free to think of me as the " village idiot" and disagree. That is what this forum is for.

2old4this: thanks for the explanation. I don't think you're a village idiot at all. and looking at the records of some of those cellar dwellars in other leagues, I see your point as I am sure they would all have trouble playing in the NWC. and I guess "down" doesn't mean "weak." Sorry.

Lol. 2old4this I think it's safe to say you're one of the most respected voices on this site. You put together some great examples in your most recent post the highlight some of the weaknesses of other leagues. The extent of injury to Hastings of Lynden is going to be a factor moving forward. Teams like Lake Washington and Bremerton will be interesting to watch. I'm also interested to see if Fife becomes a factor. They have a D1 athlete, in Kaleb McGary who just committed to play football at UW, and also plays BB.
Keep the posts coming. You do a great job

Have you seen him play? A little more FB in his blood but he is capable of being a force. Their coach preaches physical play and they have a "no back down attitude". They can really ugly up a game and I do think they could pose some problems.

The Hastings injury really does make a huge difference moving forward. Any news different from the early 2-3 week prognosis. An old timer up north seemed to think Districts was a possibility? Was he wishful thinking?

I do admit my views often seem skewed toward the NWC. History has proven at the 2A level that teams seem to have great success in the post season. Until I see it proven differently I will stick to my guns.

Since the new 2A classification came into play in 1997 (16 years ago), the NWC has won 8 Championships, and all the other Conferences have won a combined 8 Championships. The NWC has also had 6 teams finish 2nd, meaning they have had a team in the Championship game 14 out of 16 years. That pretty well sums up the historical strength of our Conference.
I haven't seen McGary play, but assumed he would be a physical presence.
Lynden usually plays their injuries close to the vest. I've been trying to get a little info on what is going on, but so far nothing.

This post sounded like an SEC fan during college football season. This is a bit of an apples and oranges comparison since NWC teams play up through two class brackets. I won't go into allocation advantages. Every year is new, so I guess we will just see in 30 days who is in the 1A finals at the Sundome.

Warrant, didn't BE play Squally in a champ game or two, thus making it 12 of the 16 years? I could be wrong, although I think your point is well taken about the strength of the NWC.

Thanks,you're right. I just scanned the 2nd place line without looking to see who they played. That makes it even more impressive.

Lol. Thanks for the comparison Film Doesn't Lie. Please feel free to go into "allocation advantages." No one is predicting any NWC State Championship winners this season. Quite the contrary, however, the NWC has had a team playing in the Championship game 13 of the last 16 years, including the last 8 in a row. Twice, an NWC team beat another NWC team in the Title game. Please feel free to "spin" away my friend.

And wasn't just 2 years ago that the state 1A and 2A champs came from NWC? Even the SEC can't say that 2 champs came from the same league in one season. :)

2old4this: based on what's been happening in the District 1 tournament, maybe the NWC is weak after all. LC losing 3 of last 4, the capper being a loss at home against a .500 team in the tournament. 2 NWC teams already eliminated. Friday Harbor still in it and 4-2 against the NWC 1A board. both cascade teams still in it. still a lot of basketball to play, but...

I've seen King's play, and I think they would beat LC by daylight. I expect Meridian to get hammered next game. The Puget Sound area 1A teams are getting better, and deeper in numbers every year.

It may be pretty tough to compare the overall conference with the LC fade in the past couple of weeks. I'm not sure how their loss to Meridian reflects how good Anacortes or Lynden or Sehome is. LC has had some very keys injuries and sickness at the end of the season on top of what they already had.

My point all along was how amazing it was that a team as "weak" ( your words) as LC was accomplishing what they had with the talent they have to work with. My other point is that the conference may be down but so are other 2A conferences in the state this year..I can't remember ever posting that LC was great or the 1A NWC teams were good. The 2- 1A teams eliminated are 6-38 on the year. I hope they were eliminated.

Again, I may be completely wrong on my assessment. But before you jump to conclusions on a depleted LC team losing to Meridian with their PG out with injury and numerous other kids sick how about we wait it out and then you can remind me how poor my assessment was and I will be the first to own up to it.

I have had King's and Okanogan as my top picks from the beginning and will stick with it. King's is 20 points better than anyone on the west side right now. Even a healthy LC would struggle to give them a game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT