ADVERTISEMENT

**NWC Pick 'Em 2012** Opening Week Picks

football_fever3

Sep 23, 2006
Welcome back to high school football everyone. Hope the offseason as been good to everyone. I am sure you all are as excited as I am to get back into the groove of Friday night lights. I know it will be quite the interesting season since there are many new faces at the helm of a few schools in the NWC, as well as some newcomers to the 2A ranks. We obviously lost a couple of teams as well.

Anyways, here is how this is going to work. For those of you who are returning, you get it already. For anyone else who may want to join in the NWC fun, then you will want to know all this.

Each week (usually Monday sometime), I will post the upcoming week's games (as well as our pick'em standings). Since this is the 2A board, I will post games involving ONLY NWC 2A teams. I honestly thought seriously about adding all the NWC teams, but I just do not see enough of LC, Meridian, Friday Harbor, etc.

Everyone most reply to the week's thread with their pick of a winner for each game. I do encourage a little bit of reasoning for each selection, as it adds to some good conversation on the board as well, but you do not have to. Each game will be worth ONE point each, except for the weekly GOTW (Game Of The Week), which I will select. This is usually the game that either is the most difficult to pick in my opinion, or just a "big game" when it comes to standings/rivalry/hype. A correct pick on these games will be worth TWO points each.

That should explain the basics. If there are any questions, be sure to let me know.

With that said, welcome back! Here are this week's opening games. *****Good luck, and be sure to have all picks in by 6:30 on Friday night, or NONE of your picks will count for the week.******

Sehome @ Nooksack Valley
Kingston @ Squalicum
Burlington @ Meridian
Friday Harbor @ Anacortes
Robert Bateman BC @ Lynden
Sedro Woolley @ Mt. Vernon
GOTW: Bellingham @ Mt Baker

I will go first, so I can look foolish :)
NV
Kingston
BE
Anacortes
Lynden
MV
Baker

Unfortunately I won't be able to be a homer with all my picks this year!

NV
Kingston
Burlington
Anacortes
Robert Bat- ... I guess I'll take Lynden
smile.r191677.gif

Mt Vernon
Baker

NV

Kingston

BE

Anacortes

Lynden

Mt .Vernon

Mt. Baker

This post was edited on 8/28 10:44 AM by LW-Observer

I'm never good at this type of thing but here goes:

Sehome

Squalicum

BE

Anacortes

Lynden

MV

Baker

I'll join the fun this year!

NV - Think Sehome could make some noise this year, but Nooksack has too much tradition.

Kingston - Good young QB, but Squalicum's not going to quite be there yet...

Burlington - Good game, but BE.

Anacortes

Lynden - My pick every week.

Sedro Woolley - Sedro's got some very athletic Seniors and will build off last year's successes.

GOTW: Baker - Lost a lot from last year, but still better than last year's cellar dwellers...

Best of Luck to All

NV-- although I believe that Sehome will be much improved

Kingston

BE-- think this will be a physical game for week 1

FH-- upset pick, heard that Anacortes is down in numbers
Lynden

SW-- battle of two new coaches, think SW will be better prepared

MB-- MB moves down a division but still has a very good program

Winner in bold, along with predicted score

Sehome 14 @ Nooksack Valley 28 - Pioneers return many skill players & got a couple of transfer to bolster line, running back & linebacker corps. Expect spread to tire out Sehome in an early matchup.

Kingston 34 @ Squalicum 17 - Squalicum improving, but expect Kingston to improve on their play this year.

Burlington 27 @ Meridian 17 Always tough to play at Bob Ames Field, but Burlington ends up using size & speed to slow down Meridian's offense & to sore early enough to be able to hold on in the end. BONUS: Meridian onsides kick to start game.

Friday Harbor 6 @ Anacortes 35 - Too much size for Anacortes & not enough players for FH doom them from the start.

Lynden 38 @ Kings 13 - King's keeps it close in the first half, but Lynden's depth & speed create cramping issues for King's players. Expect Green to have two INTs and under 200 yards passing against a swarming Lynden defense.

Sedro Woolley 13 @ Mt. Vernon 30 - Expect field turf & MV speed to result in S-W being 0-1 to start season.

GOTW: Bellingham 17 @ Mt Baker 13 - Slugfest in the trenches. MB lost a lot of players, so expect there to be a learning/winning curve for them. Bellingham survives with a win on a Baker field that won't look this good in a month.

This post was edited on 8/30 10:17 PM by Rainmaker2112

Well, Lynden's no longer playing Robert Bateman, but Kings HS, ranked #1 in 1A by some people, and boasting a QB destined for BYU. Anyone want to change their vote?

I'm sure not.

Nooksack in a close one....27-21
Squalicum......Weber has big night....42-7
Meridian.......28-21......In DB Overtime
Anacortes....2-0
Lynden..45........Kings-14.......At least Kings found a game.
Bulldogs 31........Cubs-7
Baker 35.......Bellingham-0

Sehome OVER NV: TiTi and Rapp are a tough combo.

Kingston OVER Squal: Returning a number of guys from a playoff team a year ago.

Burlington OVER Meridian: Will be too big and physical for the Trojans.

Anacortes OVER FH: Nothing to really go on here, so going with the bigger school.

Lynden OVER Kings: This game has the making to be quite the slugfest!

Woolley OVER MV: Maybe a surprise pick, but my guess is Ward will have a talented group ready to go.

Baker OVER Bellingham: Mounties got a taste of success last year, can they build on it to start the season?

ADVERTISEMENT